EV- Electric Vehicle Talk

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Texas like other states are seeking way to recover lost tax revenue from lost gasoline sales, passing a law charging a $200 annual usage tax for EV ownership. This is reported as on the high end of the spectrum compared to other states. Based on a principle I’d say this is fair, however, if the fee is for road maintenence I’d prefer that those who put the most wear and tear on the roads, pay the most. That would be interstate trucking. Now I admit, I am not familiar with all the fees associated with interstate trucking. It’s just an idea I’m exploring based on principle.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
As with any other toll, fee or tax associated with automobiles, they never go to fixing the roads/highways or infrastructure that supports automobile traffic.

There is a bridge near me (1 of 4 that crosses a busy train line) that has been closed for 2 years and is not slated to be fixed until summer 2025! Yet there is enough funding for high school football stadiums being built that started after they shutdown the bridge for safety reasons. Literally shook while you went over it.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Saw some new Amazon vans on a carrier. They didn’t look like the traditional Ford Transits.

The only marking I could see was along the door it said Powered by Rivian. So maybe Amazon is going electric.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Saw some new Amazon vans on a carrier. They didn’t look like the traditional Ford Transits.

The only marking I could see was along the door it said Powered by Rivian. So maybe Amazon is going electric.
Yeah, they did a deal with Rivian quite some time ago. They are in common use around here - the amazon dropoffs to the office complex i work in in Palo Alto are always in the Rivians. They have the distinctive Rivian-style lights. Nice-looking vans.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I am not familiar with all the fees associated with interstate trucking.
The vehicles have to get permits and stuff for the states they travel through and make sure they are in compliance with their load rating and weight limits. I am in Idaho just now and they allow these 3-trailer road trains that I never see at home. The biggest thing with commercial tracking, though, is that they fill up with untaxed diesel and then later pay the fuel tax, when they get paid for their load. Electric semis would almost certainly much the same kind of thing (they might have to pay a mileage fee instead of or on top of the yearly registration fee).

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Yeah the big trucks have to keep logs. So the government can see the data anyway.

Not sure the General public wants the government to know how much they drive.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Not sure the General public wants the government to know how much they drive.

For the most part, I am not sure most people are that worried about the government, so much as the insurance companies. And, anyway, cars now are all nicely fitted with all manner of black boxes that will happily snitch on you and are pretty hard to hack.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Fair point.

I had to switch insurance carriers when we moved to AZ because after 35+ years, my old carrier wouldn’t write my policy. (Not because of me, but too many losses in the state)

But the new one has been pushing their “monitoring” as a way to save money.

No way. Not a chance.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Looks like an interesting place.

Made it to Tombstone about 20 years ago but no further.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Fair point.

I had to switch insurance carriers when we moved to AZ because after 35+ years, my old carrier wouldn’t write my policy. (Not because of me, but too many losses in the state)

But the new one has been pushing their “monitoring” as a way to save money.

No way. Not a chance.
This will be a challenge for states. Not being able insure the biggest investment in average citizens lives is a big deal.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
The brewers and distillers should be investing heavily in self-driving tech. Once it comes to market, it'll be a return to the boon days of going to the bar. No risk of DUI, no need for a designated driver.

It may also bring back beers after work. That's disappeared for the most part, post pandemic. With remote work being so prevalent, people have taken the opportunity to move further away from the office - only commuting one or two days per week. You're not going to have a drink or two after work when you have an hour drive ahead of you.

Top Bottom
1 2