Force third party by mass midterm switch?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
AFAIK nobody is working on this, but if politicians can switch parties or go independent in the middle of their term then what is preventing them from creating a third party and switching to that en masse? That seems like a better way to a viable third party than starting from scratch while voters slowly put members in office.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
For a 3rd party to get traction it certainly needs to be represented in Congress. And I can't see a better way than what you are suggesting. It won't take more than 20, say 10 from each party to make an impact.

We need to get to a place where the middle 60% controls the government as opposed to the fringe 10% of each party, which is what we have now.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
For a 3rd party to get traction it certainly needs to be represented in Congress. And I can't see a better way than what you are suggesting. It won't take more than 20, say 10 from each party to make an impact.

We need to get to a place where the middle 60% controls the government as opposed to the fringe 10% of each party, which is what we have now.

Agreed it could include members from both sides, but in the immediate I could see this is a good way for conservatives to free themselves from loyalty to Trump and Trumpism. The best part of a minimum of 3 major parties is they can no longer campaign entirely on the other party being evil.

Top Bottom
1 2