Framework

JayAgostino

Suspended
Reaction score
For those of you who are staunch supporters of the "Right to Repair" movement, what do you like the most about Framework? Personally, I wish they'd start offering a lower-end model. Their latest model is too overkill for me. Even then, I'm not great at assembling electronics, so that's another issue.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wake me up when they sell more than a dozen of these things.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I assume it's doing decently well. Linus Sebastian apparently invested $225,000 into the company.

That’s not a good assumption. And 225k is not an impressive investment. It would be a miracle if they sold more of these in a year than apple sells in a day.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think they're trying to compete with Apple.
Companies aren’t graded on a curve.

The reason their lack of success (on an absolute scale) is important is because it proves almost nobody cares about “right to repair.” Sure, if it doesn’t add to weight, reduce performance, increase price, or subtract from features, reliability, or design, we would all love to be able to upgrade or repair our machines easily. Unfortunately science exists, and you can’t have that kind of modularity without giving up stuff in all those other categories.

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score
Companies aren’t graded on a curve.

The reason their lack of success (on an absolute scale) is important is because it proves almost nobody cares about “right to repair.” Sure, if it doesn’t add to weight, reduce performance, increase price, or subtract from features, reliability, or design, we would all love to be able to upgrade or repair our machines easily. Unfortunately science exists, and you can’t have that kind of modularity without giving up stuff in all those other categories.
And unfortunately, the reports are that the battery life on the latest version with Alder Lake is awful. When it comes to mobile battery life is probably the most important feature. To sacrifice that for the right to repair isn't going to go well with the general public.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Are there any good ARM chips out there that PC manufacturers have access to?
If there aren’t, then if you care about the environment the responsible thing to do would be to not sell PCs.

Or, since this company is already sacrificing things like battery life, they should just sacrifice speed too.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nuvia ARM chips will be out late 2023 for the PC side.

Maybe. Qualcomm says so, but they also said those chips will be faster than Apple’s, which they won’t. Unless they just meant faster than M1, and not what Apple has on sale in late 2023.

exoticspice1

Site Champ
Reaction score
Maybe. Qualcomm says so, but they also said those chips will be faster than Apple’s, which they won’t. Unless they just meant faster than M1, and not what Apple has on sale in late 2023.
They do have ex-Apple chip designers working for them. Also, Ian Cutress formerly Aandtech is very optimistic that they will be on par with Apple by late 2023 in pref and efficiency.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
They do have ex-Apple chip designers working for them. Also, Ian Cutress formerly Aandtech is very optimistic that they will be on par with Apple by late 2023 in pref and efficiency.
Yes, they have ex-apple chip designers working for them. One of them was just suggested to me as a friend on facebook, because he used to work with me and maybe for me for awhile (I can’t remember), so we have lots of friends in common on facebook. But so what? Lots of companies have ex-apple chip designers. You know who has the most apple chip designers? Apple.

And Ian Cutress - has he seen their chip design or something? Because otherwise he doesn’t know a thing.

Top Bottom
1 2