Hamas has launched a major attack on Israel

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
That aspect is really puzzling. I don't get how that operation could have been pulled off without its planning being detected far in advance by Israeli military and internal security services.

I think it’s likely they did not plan for this in Gaza (which is only like 6x25 miles- pretty easy to keep track of activities… like militants training on paragliders). This suggests they likely trained in Iran under their instruction. Iran presumably could have also aided in clandestine communications, etc.

The small conspiratorial part of my brain has to ask if Israel was aware this was coming and chose not to respond in order to demonstrate the atrocities possible by an uninhibited Hamas and to regain international sympathy that has wained tremendously in the past decade in outright favor of the Palestinians, particularly on the American left. One could say this could also be a uniting event in Israel under Netanyahu who is dealing with a lot of political conflict.

As a Jewish person, I have a number of relatives and friends in Israel- thankfully all my family is accounted for and safe. I do know one person who is an IDF solider who was shot in a firefight but is also thankfully going to be okay. I do have family members with people they know currently unaccounted for (who lived close to Gaza), which is quite disturbing considering the possibilities. Terrible stuff.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I more wanted to point out that the flow of things leading to this didn’t happen in a vacuum any more than riots happen in a vacuum. Specifically because this situation is closer to an apartheid style occupation (and not by the Palestinians).

I’m not sure how it is that different beyond scale of unacceptability. MLK’s comments are ultimately about how we focus on the reaction of those who have had their futures curtailed through policy, and use that to ultimately give a pass to the policies that did the damage in the first place. To focus on the symptom instead of the underlying disease. And to be honest, I’ve been pretty pessimistic about the region for a couple decades now because of where focus has gone.

The nature of the attacks themselves are horrific. The fact that this continues to escalate should not be surpising.

The history of the region is mired in problems. But it’s precisely the history of the region that makes me a little skeptical here. The creation of Israel was done to the region (much like many other colonizing projects of European powers in Africa, the Americas and elsewhere). I sympathize with the intent behind it, but it doesn’t change the fact that the nation was founded through the suffering and displacement of others. Something that the state has continued to pursue as the population expands.

I sympathize with the people on both sides here that are getting caught in the middle of all this. But I don’t think Israel as a state has earned any “get out of jail free” card here. To do so would make me a hypocrite.

The issue I take is that those policies you yourself mention are the single best recruiting tool these organizations have. Taking everything from someone by destroying their home and property, displacing them, killing their friends, family and neighbors… It shouldn’t be that surprising that leads to receptive ears when someone comes whispering thoughts of revenge and reclaiming what was lost.

Ultimately, my point isn’t that Hamas et al is justified here. Eye for an eye certainly cannot lead to healing. Retribution borne out of nihilism cannot be the source of anything constructive. Giving the most radical elements power leads to more ugliness, suffering, and death. But more that I cannot simply rally around an entity that itself has helped plant the seeds for much of this over the years. It didn’t have to be this event specifically, but with the direction things have been heading, there’s not too many ways this can go. The power has been given to people with no desire to find peace or compromise, and as time progresses, the younger generations are less willing to compromise.

At this point, all I can do is lament what is to come.

If Israeli leadership pays a price here, that would be a bit of a silver lining. My worry is that it will lead to doubling down on the very policies that continue the cycle, even if the leadership is replaced. It takes a weird kind of person to break a cycle of violence like this one that has gotten this far along. The best time to address this was nearly 50 years ago.

If you’re looking at this through the lens of at the moment popular oppressor/oppressed lens and trying to connect to US racism to Israel’s relationship with Palestine… such a relationship would not be appropriate as this is a far more complex issue fundamentally based on land.

Secondly, Israel is not an apartheid state. 20% of Israel proper is Muslim btw vs (2-3% Christian). Third, Israel does NOT occupy Gaza. Gaza has its own “elected” government (though I don’t think they’ve held an election in quite a while). Israel does control the flow of materials into Gaza by air, land, and sea- to prevent weapons smuggling. You know who else blockades Gaza? Egypt- they must be racist too.

And “pro-Palestinian” activists suggest that Palestinian’s rights are restricted by Israel… perhaps taking a look at the rights Hama’s affords to its citizens m- virtually nil.

Do Israeli-Muslim in Israel in practice always experience total acceptance by Israeli - unfortunately not at this time, but they do hold important govt positions and have equal rights. But know what might be considered an apartheid state? Places where Jews are forbidden from existing- like Palestine.

Unfortunately, most of human history is people stealing land from other people- whether it be country vs country or tribe vs tribe. In any other time in history either the Jews would have kicked out or killed the Palestines or visa-versa- though the latter combination (both kick out and kill) is the explicitly the goal of Hamas regarding Israel. Israel has offered peace deals, some incredibly generous no less than 13x but Palestine does not want a deal, they want Israel to be theirs.

How do you negotiate with people who have no intention of ever making a deal? How do you deal with a population that you cannot integrate into your society, but if totally left alone would only be far more capable of inflicting harm?

I don’t agree with plenty of actions Israel has taken, but it’s a far cry from how Hamas operates and chooses to treat their citizens. But there’s always this bigotry of low expectations regarding Palestine/Hamas- where they can be one of most backward, oppressive, terroristic governments on the planet and yet the expectations for Israel are a bar that western countries don’t even meet.

All of this is impossible situation for Israel. I sincerely feel terrible for the regular Palestinian people who seek freedom and a normal life. But it’s very hard to deny that the ball is entirely in Palestine’s court in getting a solution.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
PS I think it’s hard to call this an eye for an eye situation. Indeed Israel’s military actions have caught civilians in the crossfire. There have been individuals who have done terrible things. But this was a state sponsored, state sanctioned blitz of terrorism. It appears to have targeted civilians just as much, if not more, than govt. When was the last time Israel kidnapped dozens-hundreds people? Or mowed down 260 people in one sitting at a concert with machine guns?

The only thing a change in leadership may change is the expanding settlement issue- which doesn’t necessarily apply to places like the Golan Heights. Security is existential in Israel and near universally seen as vital and there’s zero tolerance among the public for attacks.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Amongst them, the young German tourist who was kidnapped, raped, and murdered.

It’s an atrocity and nothing less than Barbaric. It’s unfathomable these preparators, presumably self identify as Muslims and could chant praise to God while committing this beyond unholy amen heinous act. At the very least I’d hope their leadership holds them accountable as would an actual military… but that’s probably expecting a lot.

I cannot fathom what her poor family must be going through- I heard a report that her mother and sister identified her in the video going around. The story was originally reported the victim being a possible female IDF soldier. To be a foreigner caught in the crossfire is tragic.

With Israel brining up 100k reserve troops, I have a sense they may try to do a total invasion of Gaza and totally dismantle Hamas. That would be an extremely dangerous task for the IDF and especially Palestinian civilians given how dense Gaza is. But it seems like the only way to assuredly prevent Hamas from doing the same thing. And it’s consistent with how the US responded after 911- literally going to the ends of the earth to destroy the responsible terrorist Organizations.

Edit: Her name is Shani Louk, age 30 and was a tattoo artist. To clarify, some articles say she’s is a German-Israeli… though an irrelevant factor considering there is no justification for targeting civilians.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It’s an atrocity and nothing less than Barbaric. It’s unfathomable these preparators, presumably self identify as Muslims and could chant praise to God while committing this beyond unholy amen heinous act. At the very least I’d hope their leadership holds them accountable as would an actual military… but that’s probably expecting a lot.

I cannot fathom what her poor family must be going through- I heard a report that her mother and sister identified her in the video going around. The story was originally reported the victim being a possible female IDF soldier. To be a foreigner caught in the crossfire is tragic.

With Israel brining up 100k reserve troops, I have a sense they may try to do a total invasion of Gaza and totally dismantle Hamas. That would be an extremely dangerous task for the IDF and especially Palestinian civilians given how dense Gaza is. But it seems like the only way to assuredly prevent Hamas from doing the same thing. And it’s consistent with how the US responded after 911- literally going to the ends of the earth to destroy the responsible terrorist Organizations.

Edit: Her name is Shani Louk, age 30 and was a tattoo artist. To clarify, some articles say she’s is a German-Israeli… though an irrelevant factor considering there is no justification for targeting civilians.
I've been saying the exact same thing about the atrocities Russia is committing in Ukraine, it just seems that people are far less outraged about that for some reason.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I've been saying the exact same thing about the atrocities Russia is committing in Ukraine, it just seems that people are far less outraged about that for some reason.
Well, Russia is already seen as starting the horrific war in Ukraine so they’re already regarded by (almost) everyone as the enemy. We’ve already issued extensive sanctions (which may or may not be effective- at least in the short term and are thoroughly supporting Ukraine with military and non-mil aid. So the question is what more can we do to punish Russia, esp until the war is over and in that case prosecution would still likely be virtually impossible.

I think for most people it’s hard to stay outages over situations with zero prospect recourse anytime soon. And short of dropout a nuke it’s hard for them to do worse than they have.

I would also say there used to be considerably more outrage against war crimes- like Bucha and the maternity hospital. But at some point fatigue sets in and most people become disinterested or desensitized.

There’s also a difference I suppose between a legitimate war with peer nations and presumably most violence is targeted between militaries. l suspect Ukrainian soldiers is also responsible for a number of war crimes (esp person on person level..: you can bet defending soldiers can be pretty upset with invaders) though AFIAK nothing on the large scale of Russia’s worst actions.

Israel is far more shocking when you have an improvised army of thugs specifically targeting civilians in the brutalist of ways. Israel/Israelis I would argue are more relatable for most Americans than Eastern Europe. The concert massacre is also very relatable to the Mandalay Bay.

I imagine however much it the coverage will die down pretty quickly and people will move on to the next conflict.

And I would be shocked to see people (esp non Jews) putting Israeli flags on their cars and houses and lawns etc to display solidarity as extensively seen with Ukraine.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I think it’s likely they did not plan for this in Gaza (which is only like 6x25 miles- pretty easy to keep track of activities… like militants training on paragliders). This suggests they likely trained in Iran under their instruction. Iran presumably could have also aided in clandestine communications, etc.

I think it has to do with excellent communications discipline. Which worked well for bin laden (until it didn't).

Rather than using easily exploitable cellphones, walkie-talkies, other radios, etc with messages that can be intercepted and analyzed within seconds by Israeli and western intelligence agencies, I suspect Hamas used a network of vetted/trusted couriers passing written communications between operatives.

I'm still looking forward to seeing what Iran's involvement is in supplying information and weapons to Hamas. And Israel's response, hoping that it's bold. I suspect a US carrier group now moving to the eastern Mediterranean will be aiding in some manner, perhaps supplying intelligence information and insight. And to encourage Iran from not doing something even more stupid.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Does Hamas think this will result in improvement in the life of Gaza citizens?

I imagine every militant member of Hamas is at minimum suicidal. If they don't even care about their own life I'd find it hard to believe they care about anybody else's including their own people. They know going in retribution will be harsh and disproportionately huge but if they can have a few minutes to hours of picking off people from the other side before they are killed then that's mission accomplished for them. They won't be around to see the payback anyway.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score

The small conspiratorial part of my brain has to ask if Israel was aware this was coming and chose not to respond in order to demonstrate the atrocities possible by an uninhibited Hamas and to regain international sympathy that has wained tremendously in the past decade in outright favor of the Palestinians, particularly on the American left. One could say this could also be a uniting event in Israel under Netanyahu who is dealing with a lot of political conflict.

As a Jewish person, I have a number of relatives and friends in Israel- thankfully all my family is accounted for and safe. I do know one person who is an IDF solider who was shot in a firefight but is also thankfully going to be okay. I do have family members with people they know currently unaccounted for (who lived close to Gaza), which is quite disturbing considering the possibilities. Terrible stuff.

If you’re looking at this through the lens of at the moment popular oppressor/oppressed lens and trying to connect to US racism to Israel’s relationship with Palestine… such a relationship would not be appropriate as this is a far more complex issue fundamentally based on land.

Secondly, Israel is not an apartheid state. 20% of Israel proper is Muslim btw vs (2-3% Christian). Third, Israel does NOT occupy Gaza. Gaza has its own “elected” government (though I don’t think they’ve held an election in quite a while). Israel does control the flow of materials into Gaza by air, land, and sea- to prevent weapons smuggling. You know who else blockades Gaza? Egypt- they must be racist too.

And “pro-Palestinian” activists suggest that Palestinian’s rights are restricted by Israel… perhaps taking a look at the rights Hama’s affords to its citizens m- virtually nil.

Do Israeli-Muslim in Israel in practice always experience total acceptance by Israeli - unfortunately not at this time, but they do hold important govt positions and have equal rights. But know what might be considered an apartheid state? Places where Jews are forbidden from existing- like Palestine.

Unfortunately, most of human history is people stealing land from other people- whether it be country vs country or tribe vs tribe. In any other time in history either the Jews would have kicked out or killed the Palestines or visa-versa- though the latter combination (both kick out and kill) is the explicitly the goal of Hamas regarding Israel. Israel has offered peace deals, some incredibly generous no less than 13x but Palestine does not want a deal, they want Israel to be theirs.

How do you negotiate with people who have no intention of ever making a deal? How do you deal with a population that you cannot integrate into your society, but if totally left alone would only be far more capable of inflicting harm?

I don’t agree with plenty of actions Israel has taken, but it’s a far cry from how Hamas operates and chooses to treat their citizens. But there’s always this bigotry of low expectations regarding Palestine/Hamas- where they can be one of most backward, oppressive, terroristic governments on the planet and yet the expectations for Israel are a bar that western countries don’t even meet.

All of this is impossible situation for Israel. I sincerely feel terrible for the regular Palestinian people who seek freedom and a normal life. But it’s very hard to deny that the ball is entirely in Palestine’s court in getting a solution.

PS I think it’s hard to call this an eye for an eye situation. Indeed Israel’s military actions have caught civilians in the crossfire. There have been individuals who have done terrible things. But this was a state sponsored, state sanctioned blitz of terrorism. It appears to have targeted civilians just as much, if not more, than govt. When was the last time Israel kidnapped dozens-hundreds people? Or mowed down 260 people in one sitting at a concert with machine guns?

The only thing a change in leadership may change is the expanding settlement issue- which doesn’t necessarily apply to places like the Golan Heights. Security is existential in Israel and near universally seen as vital and there’s zero tolerance among the public for attacks.
There's a lot to unpack here, some I strongly agree with, others I vehemently disagree with. First, the ball is not in the Palestinian court, the massive power imbalance is completely in favor of Israel. Their blockade of Gaza isn't really about weapons, that's theater. After all, Hamas smuggles in weapons with ease. They just launched a massive attack and thousands of rockets from Gaza. They aren't hurting for weapons. What it does do is control the population and lets Hamas control them. It isn't just the ethnic cleansing in the West Bank, and let's be clear that's what it is and what Israel was doing and is absolutely state sponsored. That's why people call it an apartheid state. That the Palestinians living there aren't even citizens never mind second or third class citizens doesn't make the analogy less apt.

Further saying it's "just crossfire" or the actions of a "few individuals" completely belies what is happening. What Israel engages in and has always engaged with is collective punishment. Israel is cutting off food, water, and electricity to 2.1 million people in Gaza because "they are animals" - direct quote from Israel's secretary of defense, that's a war crime. That Hamas are genocidal war criminals doesn't make it okay. This is not the first time Israel has done this and during previous intifadas they have killed many many more Palestinian civilians than visa versa. They’re about to again. And I think you can see from previous posts how I think about the arguments that what Hamas did is anything short of a horror to be condemned unequivocally without any whataboutism added on. They’re just like fucking ISIS. Obviously I have my issues with the current Israeli regime which in addition to their Palestinian policies was turning onto the fascism track of Orban and Putin, hence why Israelis were in the streets protesting to prevent the descent.

1696876999178.png

Going back in history, the generous peace deals that were offered were offered after those that could've accepted them had been politically weakened by Netanyahu’s previous policies. Which btw led to the takeover of Hamas in the first place. And quite a number of analysts even put Israel’s self defeating policies beyond the time frame I’m talking about.

1696879933305.png

Evidence is mounting that he ignored warnings. There is a report which Netanyahu’s government is denying, that Egypt explicitly told the Israelis to expect a major attack from Gaza but Netanyahu was uninterested in hearing. Even if untrue, there were more general warnings from outside the inner circle:
1696878328488.png

However, not for the reasons you gave, well actually similar but not exactly. Allowing a major attack like this is likely the end of his political career. He’ll be remembered as a failure. But less than a week before the attacks there was an internal government report basically saying Hamas is not a threat. Why? because as I stated in earlier posts and in the quoted piece, by brutalizing and allowing Hamas to brutalize Gaza both Hamas and far right Israeli governments like Likud stayed in power. As long as the attacks were limited, they could sell themselves as the guarantors of security - necessary measures that could keep the evil at bay but always be needed. Their entire security model was based on that Gaza could be allowed to fester indefinitely. Hamas and the Israeli right have a sick symbiotic relationship. Keep people afraid, keep them angry and they'll allow the worst people to control the governments. They had the mistaken belief that Hamas was willing to continue this dance forever. BTW this analysis isn't coming from Western leftist btw, but Israelis. And if you think I’m jaded that’s no different than what you just proposed of allowing a major attack that killed more Jewish innocents in a single day since the holocaust to stay in power.

1696879672613.png

Again I’ll push back at those who say this is all the Israeli’s fault. It absolutely isn’t. Hamas are not Fatah. They are a genocidal organization with which there is no living with them nor meaningful, lasting negotiations possible. But I’ll push back against those who claim there isn’t blood on Israel’s hands or minimize it as accidents and a few extremists - the extremists are running the government and have been for a long time. Even when they weren’t, when Israel had some of the most effective, liberal governments in the 20th century yes all-too-human mistakes were made - more understandable perhaps but still helped bring us to where we are today.

Regardless of whose fault it is, who is more to blame, a lot of innocent men, women, and children have died and many, many more are about to die. There will be no deescalation or cease fire this time, hoping for ones are not only foolish but counterproductive. There simply can’t be after this, we can only hope that the horrors will end with something more than graves. Understanding how we got here and everybody being honest that none of us are clean is the first step towards getting something more than graves. I have no particular power, no voice that matters beyond what I write here. I’m not going to pretend my long screed, diatribe, whatever will matter much. I can only hope that the people who have power will think similarly. If we don’t, this will repeat again and again and again.

Last edited:

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I think it has to do with excellent communications discipline. Which worked well for bin laden (until it didn't).

Rather than using easily exploitable cellphones, walkie-talkies, other radios, etc with messages that can be intercepted and analyzed within seconds by Israeli and western intelligence agencies, I suspect Hamas used a network of vetted/trusted couriers passing written communications between operatives.

I'm still looking forward to seeing what Iran's involvement is in supplying information and weapons to Hamas. And Israel's response, hoping that it's bold. I suspect a US carrier group now moving to the eastern Mediterranean will be aiding in some manner, perhaps supplying intelligence information and insight. And to encourage Iran from not doing something even more stupid.
At the moment it’s not clear where the failure lies, it could be that it was missed entirely or ignored or a combination - basically no specific warnings but general warning we are vulnerable and strategically unbalanced. There is some evidence for at least the latter part. Protecting the illegal settlements destroying Palestinian homes was more important to Netanyahu and his politics.

1696880060658.png

With regards to Iran and Hezbollah things are going to get bad there too.

1696880122998.png

And that is definitely a fight we’ll provide direct support to Israel on if Hezbollah/Iran decide to go all in regardless of the role they may or may not have played in the initial attack.

Last edited:

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Does Hamas think this will result in improvement in the life of Gaza citizens?
I imagine every militant member of Hamas is at minimum suicidal. If they don't even care about their own life I'd find it hard to believe they care about anybody else's including their own people. They know going in retribution will be harsh and disproportionately huge but if they can have a few minutes to hours of picking off people from the other side before they are killed then that's mission accomplished for them. They won't be around to see the payback anyway.
Beyond them being genocidal assholes towards Israelis, a lot of Hamas' leadership resides in plush offices scattered around the ME. They couldn't give a shit about the average person in Gaza except as a base of power.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
At the moment it’s not clear where the failure lies, it could be that it was missed entirely or ignored or a combination - basically no specific warnings but general warning we are vulnerable and strategically unbalanced. There is some evidence for at least the latter part. Protecting the illegal settlements destroying Palestinian homes was more important to Netanyahu and his politics.

Yes... all speculation. I'm going with trusted/vetted couriers for right now.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Again who knows right now

View attachment 26548

Again...my comment about trusted/vetted couriers (how bin laden evaded capture for so long) was not made with respect to Iranian involvement. But about how Hamas planned and organized the attack without tipping off Israeli and western intelligence agencies; ie via couriers passing written communications between operatives.

The likelyhood of Iran supplying weapons is a separate matter. I'm speculating that they did, and a response from Israel will soon be coming.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Again...my comment about trusted/vetted couriers was not made with respect to Iranian involvement. But about how Hamas organized the attack without tipping off Israeli and western intelligence agencies; ie via couriers with written communications.

The likelyhood of Iran supplying weapons is a separate matter. I'm speculating that they did, and a response from Israel will soon be coming.
This isn’t just about whether Iran aided with weapons but also whether they helped organize and plan the attack with Hamas. There is disagreement over the extent of their involvement in its planning and operational control.

Top Bottom
1 2