"I'm watching She-Hulk, come down and watch it with me!"

"I'm doing my Algebra homework!"

"Skip it, Hulk is more important! Dad smash puny math teacher!"

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Power Reset to get your TV to turn on
I have. 55” Sony TV that has been relegated to our bedroom. It’s about 10 years old. Periodically it will not turn on. I’ve double checked power available to the TV and found this article:

It mentions a power reset. Unplugging the TV for several minutes, then back in fixed it. I’m wondering what would cause the need for a power reset? I was gone last week and there was a power surge/loss of power momentarily and I suspect that is the cause. 🤔

Any TV technicians reading this? :D

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Sonos Sub Mini announced and available for pre-order! Woot!

Yep, the Sub Mini, delivered is $754 with a Ray, or $935 with a Beam (Gen 2) That's a pretty killer, wireless, very little spaced used, surround setup for those prices!

The Mini Sub + Gen 2 Beam is actually $833 when purchased together (at least for now, it is a "sale"), that's a pretty sweet setup for under $900:

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Power Reset to get your TV to turn back on
I have. 55” Sony TV that has been relegated to our bedroom. It’s about 10 years old. Periodically it will not turn on. I’ve double checked power available to the TV and found this article:

It mentions a power reset. Unplugging the TV for several minutes, then back in fixed it. I’m wondering what would cause the need for a power reset? I was gone last week and there was a power surge/loss of power momentarily and I suspect that is the cause. 🤔

Any TV technicians reading this? :D

I have a similar issue with a four year old 75" Sony. It starts throwing up a goofy colorful circles animation on the screen. Unplugging it for 10 or so seconds and plugging it back in fixes it. Seems to happen maybe 3-4 times a year. I've gotten to be ok with that annoyance.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Mini Sub + Gen 2 Beam is actually $833 when purchased together (at least for now, it is a "sale"), that's a pretty sweet setup for under $900:

Gen 2 Beam has Atmos now 🤔. Would it be an improvement over the my Playbase, I wonder? It’s a small space so I don’t need a ton of power. I’ve avoided the Arc due to price and seems like overkill for that space.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Gen 2 Beam has Atmos now 🤔. Would it be an improvement over the my Playbase, I wonder? It’s a small space so I don’t need a ton of power. I’ve avoided the Arc due to price and seems like overkill for that space.

It's supposed to be pretty solid Atmos, even though it doesn't have upward firing speakers, and just generally outstanding sound, clarity (excellent for dialog in movies), and I can't tell you how handy the voice control is for volume.

Did you know you can get a 15% discount from your Playbase? They have an upgrade program, check into it, I think that qualifies.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's supposed to be pretty solid Atmos, even though it doesn't have upward firing speakers, and just generally outstanding sound, clarity (excellent for dialog in movies), and I can't tell you how handy the voice control is for volume.

Did you know you can get a 15% discount from your Playbase? They have an upgrade program, check into it, I think that qualifies.
Thanks for that info. I have a couple of Play Ones also. Looks like you can add them up for a max of 30% off a purchase. So, looks like I could get a Beam Gen 2 for under $315. 👍

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Some kind of sale going down this Friday at Sonos, if it includes the Mini/Beam bundle, I may pull the trigger for the bedroom, and Rakuten has 2% CB at Sonos as well.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The above did not include that bundle, but there's another "pre-Black Friday" even starting today at 11a PST (so still 3 hours away for me).

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I didn’t end up getting the Beam. I can’t find the legs for my TV which I’d need for a soundbar. There’s no way I’d toss those, electronics stuff is the only thing I won’t throw away.

I did get a Roam, however, which lives in the spare bedroom officially, but often toss it in the bathroom when I’m just playing music for awhile. I’m kinda considering getting a second Roam and using the two of them for a poor man’s surround sound, only when we’re watching something that merits it. The living room just isn’t configured properly for using a couple of Ones for proper surround sound. The Roams run on battery so you can just put them anywhere for a two hour movie.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh yeah, the Roam seems super handy being portable, hahaha, glad I'm not the only one who brings speakers, beverages , etc., into the bathroom :D Nothing beats a shower beer while listening to a podcast :ROFLMAO:

Oh I saw this on SlickDeals, some good deals next Friday, and it includes the Roam.

Starting November 20 - Sonos Black Friday: Sonos Arc $719, Sonos Beam $359, Sonos Sub $599, Sonos One $175, Sonos One SL $159, Sonos Roam $143, Sonos Roam SL $127 w/ Free Shipping​

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
20% off on a few items, NOT including the new Mini sub, and only one item, but I went ahead and got a Beam Gen 2 for the bedroom :) 20% on Sonos pretty decent and I can score a sub later.

1668736153107.png

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
20% off on a few items, NOT the new Mini sub, and only one item, butI went ahead and got a Beam Gen 2 for the bedroom :) 20% on Sonos pretty decent and I can score a sub later.

Ok, so dumb question.

Do these soundbars come on with the TV? Or do you have to turn them on separately?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Ok, so dumb question.

Do these soundbars come on with the TV? Or do you have to turn them on separately?

There's no dumb questions ...

As you'll see below, there's only dumb answers :ROFLMAO:

For the most configurations, I'd say they come on with the TV or are just on. Like the Arc/Sub setup on the TV in the family room is always on, I send music to it from Spotify all the time, without the TV or AppleTV on, I never think about the power status. For the bedroom and family room, both TVs use an AppleTV as the only source, so we press one button on the ATV remote, and the TV comes on too (via ARC/eARC, not to be confused with the Sonos Arc soundbar) and the soundbar is just kind of always on standby.

That's a really nice thing about soundbars, at least the Sonos products, it's super seamless, it's basically like the TV audio, regardless of how the TV gets audio, from an external device like AppleTV (or Fire, or whatever) or from internal "smart" TV apps.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, so dumb question.

My answer is similar to DTs. I have a Sonos Playbase, which is an older piece of gear than his Arc, and it just comes on when the TV wants it to. There’s no remote or power-on to think about. Sonos is awesome, and works very well with Apple products, too.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
There's no dumb questions ...

As you'll see below, there's only dumb answers :ROFLMAO:

For the most configurations, I'd say they come on with the TV or are just on. Like the Arc/Sub setup on the TV in the family room is always on, I send music to it from Spotify all the time, without the TV or AppleTV on, I never think about the power status. For the bedroom and family room, both TVs use an AppleTV as the only source, so we press one button on the ATV remote, and the TV comes on too (via ARC/eARC, not to be confused with the Sonos Arc soundbar) and the soundbar is just kind of always on standby.

That's a really nice thing about soundbars, at least the Sonos products, it's super seamless, it's basically like the TV audio, regardless of how the TV gets audio, from an external device like AppleTV (or Fire, or whatever) or from internal "smart" TV apps.

@DT One more question on the Sonos Soundbar.

We are headed out to the new house tomorrow and plan on stopping at BB on the way up and thinking about getting one of these.

Can you fire it up without the TV? I am just thinking with the open concept of the new house, it would be nice to be able to use this to play background music from my Spotify app without turning on
the TV.

I currently have several G1 products including some Connect Amps and Play speakers and they work just fine from Spotify.

Thanks

Top Bottom
1 2