Interesting case in Indiana - Couple's child removed for parents not using child's preferred pronouns

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
An interesting case out of Indiana - I don't know enough to defend or condemn anything or anyone - but I'm not sure these are shitty enough of parents to warrant their child being taken away. On the other hand, mental and emotional support is a big deal no matter who you are, and a child in distress is a child in distress. I just don't know enough based on the article.

I'm also a big fan of listening to people when they tell you something. But I also understand kids - especially teens (as is the case here) go through all sorts of emotional turmoil. We are in the early stages of figuring this stuff out.

I'm not a fan of bigots, but I'm also not a fan of twisting people who are hung up on religion but aren't zealots and can be slow-walked into an understanding, if not outright agreement.

There's not nearly enough info in the article to render any sort of judgement or verdict for or against anyone, but I think it presents an interesting discussion. This is different than a school or some third party, this is a parent/child situation where the only alleged abuse is not supporting their kids' gender identity. Is that enough in and of itself to remove a kid, especially if the parents are seeking some sort of legit help? Lots of questions.

Becket is pursuing the case on behalf of the Coxes, arguing state courts allowed Indiana to keep the child from living in his parents' home due to their disagreement with the child's gender identity because of their religious beliefs. Notably, upon completing the investigation, the state determined the allegations of abuse against Mary and Jeremy were unsubstantiated, but still argued that the disagreement over gender identity was distressing to their child.

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
An interesting case out of Indiana - I don't know enough to defend or condemn anything or anyone - but I'm not sure these are shitty enough of parents to warrant their child being taken away. On the other hand, mental and emotional support is a big deal no matter who you are, and a child in distress is a child in distress. I just don't know enough based on the article.

Citing Fox News is probably a bad idea. This is not about “improper pronouns.”:

The evidence in support of the Dispositional Order shows that on May 11, 2021, DCS received a report alleging that Mother was verbally and emotionally abusing then-sixteen-year-old Child by using rude and demeaning language toward Child regarding Child's transgender identity, and as a result, Child had thoughts of self-harm. Appellants' App. Vol. 2 at 13-14. On May 21, 2021, DCS received a second report alleging that the Parents were verbally and emotionally abusing Child because they do not accept Child's transgender identity, the abuse was getting worse, and the Parents were being mean to Child due to Child's transgender identity.

The FCM prepared a preliminary inquiry report (PIR), which indicated the following: Mother and Child both stated that Child had been suffering from an eating disorder for the past year but had yet to be evaluated by a medical professional; the Parents had withdrawn Child from school, and DCS was unaware of the family's intent to enroll Child in a new school for the upcoming school year; Child had been in therapy, but the Parents had discontinued it; Child did not feel mentally and/or emotionally safe in the home; Mother said things such as "[Child's preferred name] is the bitch that killed my son"; and Child "would be more likely to have thoughts of self-harm and suicide if [Child] were to return to the family home due to mental and emotional abuse." Id. at 14-15. The PIR also indicated that Mother stated that the family was planning to work with a doctor at a clinic for eating disorders, but Mother refused to sign any consents so that DCS could verify any medical concerns or past therapy services. Id. at 14.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Citing Fox News is probably a bad idea. This is not about “improper pronouns.”:

I gave the article the benefit of the doubt, suspecting that it was leaving out information. That's why I didn't blast any particular side, though that sounds more like what I was anticipating.

CINO - Catholic in name only. It's ok to disregard several of god's commandments to honor the one that matters, "though shall not transition". They feel pretty strongly, surely that's in the book, right?

At any rate, this particular case may not be what Fox paints it, but I do imagine there will be other cases with religous and/or well-meaning parents who may indeed be worried that their child will change their mind later. Not to get too far into the weeds, but this is why affordable and accessible healthcare (including mental healthcare) is so important.

That said, its good to know even a conservative state like Indiana can put aside whatever politics rule the day to help protect a kid.

Top Bottom
1 2