How to deal with misinformation.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Glad to know I'm not the only one who does that.

I do that everywhere. Even here. :D

Sometimes just seeing my words typed out is enough. Once it's out of my system, the urge to hit the Post button subsides. The urge subsides a LOT if I do something else for 5-10 minutes, then come back to it.

That said, I'll echo the earlier sentiments. Posting here is a far more relaxing experience.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I very rarely get sucked in over there. When I do, I appreciate the fact that I'm logged out. Anytime I'm even tempted to reply, I realize I can't because I've not logged in. Obvious it would be easy to simply log in, but up till now, that's more than enough to remind me to just shut up and move on. And usually reading through a thread is more than enough to chase me back out of there for a few months.

I'd gladly participate if it was a place where people came with open minds. I've learned tons from open, honest conversations where people aren't afraid to have their beliefs challenged. But there's too much noise (putting it nicely) there these days. I don't handle stupid people well. I love the stupid characters on TV shows. But in real life, I have better things to do waste words they don't care about.
I think it’s been about two years since I previosly posted. Normally I use the exact same blocker as you of not being logged in to avoid being sucked in. I’m honestly not sure what psychologically compelled me to respond this time. 🤷‍♂️ Have to think about that. Also saw @leman there.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Wow, and I still have a mac from 2015 working (Sister in law is using it) and another from early 2018 as my backup. I think that goes beyond the 4 year replacement scenario.
Yup 2013 iMac here though admittedly about to upgrade to an M3.

Of course their thesis was that the moment you buy an AS Mac you’ll feel compelled to upgrade every three years because AS Macs are just intrinsically disposable.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who does that.

Yeah I do that too and as maybe some of you have noticed I constantly edit and re-edit my posts after hitting that button. My own typos annoy me but I also often dramatically overhaul posts after I hit that post button.

So, I admit that I tend to stay rather current on machines. My cycle was around every 3 years or so either my desktop or laptop would get replaced, depending on which needed the boost more. But I've always sold the hardware on or used it to help upgrade someone in my extended family. Hell, the iMac G5 that I bought once I got a job outside of college went to my father who still uses it. Being able to upgrade the storage/RAM hasn't really been a factor in why that machine is still kicking.

But I also know I'm an outlier of sorts because my career somewhat depends on keeping up with the tech treadmill.
Aye that’s different and of course enthusiasts do so as well and I’m not denigrating anybody’s upgrade cadence. One reason I kept my current iMac so long is I was using its Nvidia GPU for work. But if I’m being brutally honest with myself a large part of why I don’t upgrade more often is because I’m lazy and don’t like change! 🙃

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
Also saw @leman there.

I was taking a long train ride back after a challenging hike and had to somehow occupy my exhausted mind. In retrospect, I’m not happy with my trollling in that thread. People have the right to have hobbies. I don’t have any personal beef with the guy who uses a 2009 Mac Pro as his main computer.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was taking a long train ride back after a challenging hike and had to somehow occupy my exhausted mind. In retrospect, I’m not happy with my trollling in that thread. People have the right to have hobbies. I don’t have any personal beef with the guy who uses a 2009 Mac Pro as his main computer.
I enjoyed reading the craziness on my flight back from Rome to San Francisco :)

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Ummmm.......

I buy Mac's so I don't have to get a new one every 3 years. Just put a new HDD in my Late 2015 iMac so hopefully it will last another 3-4 years.
To be fair, her point was that your use case of upgrading your hard drive to extend its life should be the norm, that’s her ideal, and since for most Apple Silicon Macs you can’t upgrade any of the internals that therefore they won’t last as long. And, to an extent, that’s probably true. A chassis that can’t have its internals upgraded won’t theoretically last as long in the tail of longevity distribution compared to one that can. But she then took that to a ridiculous extreme that everyone will be tossing their “disposable” AS Macs on the scrap heap every 3 years and ignored data that average consumer behavior is different from her ideal regardless of whether the device can be upgraded. Basically it’s unclear if the actual longevity of Apple Silicon Macs in the wild will be much different than the (Early) Intel Macs. Given that most internals should last much longer than most consumers keep their machines, their actual longevity probably won’t be any different in practice, as an average/median over the Mac user population though the tail might be shorter.

Last edited:

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score

Lol, I was having an argument with the GF so I was bored :D

Hot take:
Anyone who claims they can use a PC (or Mac) for 10+ years without upgrading (and feels they are not limited severely by the machine) is an ideal iPad customer really.

Longest lived devices I see in the wild these days are iPads, and they aren't upgradable at all! Have friends with iPad 4s still working with their kids, and I have an iPad mini 1 that still works as a basic e-reader.

Last edited:

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score
And yeah. No issue with people running old machines as a hobby or whatever.

I’m seriously considering a trash can because I think they’re a future art piece like a g4 cube.

But I’m not going to pretend it’s going to be amazing for daily usage!

Oh wait it must be awesome and upgradable because it’s an Intel box. Sorry.

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
And yeah. No issue with people running old machines as a hobby or whatever.

I’m seriously considering a trash can because I think they’re a future art piece like a g4 cube.

But I’m not going to pretend it’s going to be amazing for daily usage!

Oh wait it must be awesome and upgradable because it’s an Intel box. Sorry.
Technically (the best kind of correct!) the trash can is at least upgradable. Awesome... well, maybe not so much.

Very pretty though. I've actually seen one in person, someone at work had one.

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score
I can pick up a 64 GB, 12 core with D500s and 256GB of storage (and 12 month vendor warranty for what that’s worth) for something like $400 us plus shipping. I’m real tempted, and i think that now is the time to buy if i ever want one. They still work, are still pretty powerful and haven’t become collectible yet. They will be, like the g4 cube.

Even if it doesn’t work, i think the trash can is destined to become a collectible artsy thing in Apple’s history.

And right now it would still be the second most powerful mac i own. Easily.

Last edited:

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Technically (the best kind of correct!) the trash can is at least upgradable. Awesome... well, maybe not so much.

Very pretty though. I've actually seen one in person, someone at work had one.

A team I worked on was all trash cans for a while until they started getting replaced with 2018 Mac Minis and iMac Pros. It was a very nice machine for what it was designed to accomplish, a shame it never really got a true refresh.

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score
So looks like I'm currently winning a bid on a 6 core with d500s and 64GB/1TB

I think that 6-8 core is the sweet spot (12 core is clocked quite slow and I'm not going to be using it as a highly loaded workstation). It's not ever going to be a performance machine in this day and age, however the 6 core clocks reasonably quick for lower threaded older intel workloads, and the d500s have the cut down high end GPU rather than some half-baked smaller chip (for older Intel Mac games, PC games, etc.).

I'm thinking it will make a neat desktop for general desktop stuff and running some home VMs in parallels or fusion for small home user stuff.

Plus it will look pretty.

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score

I think that 6-8 core is the sweet spot (12 core is clocked quite slow and I'm not going to be using it as a highly loaded workstation). It's not ever going to be a performance machine in this day and age, however the 6 core clocks reasonably quick for lower threaded older intel workloads, and the d500s have the cut down high end GPU rather than some half-baked smaller chip (for older Intel Mac games, PC games, etc.).

I'm thinking it will make a neat desktop for general desktop stuff and running some home VMs in parallels or fusion for small home user stuff.

Plus it will look pretty.
I still have my 2013 Mac Pro, 6-core, D500s, 64 GB, 512 GB and I could easily still use it as a daily driver. Since I'm on-site most days, it is mostly acting as a NAS right now with a TB2 RAID enclosure but it is completely usable as a VMWare workstation. Last macOS upgrade is Monterey though. It is going to start losing security updates soon.

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score
I still have my 2013 Mac Pro, 6-core, D500s, 64 GB, 512 GB and I could easily still use it as a daily driver. Since I'm on-site most days, it is mostly acting as a NAS right now with a TB2 RAID enclosure but it is completely usable as a VMWare workstation. Last macOS upgrade is Monterey though. It is going to start losing security updates soon.
Apparently open EFI or something can get later OS on it. Either way, tempted to just use it as a VM host that looks nice, via fusion or parallels.

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score

Nice, hope nobody snipes your bid. I agree on targeting 6-core/8-core - you trade too much clock speed for more cores in these things, especially the 12-core option, and clock speed is by far the better choice for something to putter around and have fun with.

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score
Nice, hope nobody snipes your bid. I agree on targeting 6-core/8-core - you trade too much clock speed for more cores in these things, especially the 12-core option, and clock speed is by far the better choice for something to putter around and have fun with.

Won it. 🤘

The only other desktop Mac I’ve used is an ancient 2007 mini so this will be quite the upgrade. 😂

Slippery slope…. i just remembered i have a spare vega 64 i could pop into an eGPU enclosure…

Attachments

• View item.jpeg
    View item.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2