I like random stuff...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
NSFW ...

[edit]

Didn't realize there wasn't even a preview (due to how the content is flagged), here's one to give you an idea (it's just a live singing performance) :D

1638537223019.png

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Wow, our planet has some amazing things on it ...

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Food for children's book authors? The 75-foot Christmas tree destined for Rockefeller Center this year came from the Oneonta area not far from here. Trussed up like a turkey before being cut and lowered by a crane onto a flatbed for hauling to NYC, it had a stowaway saw-whet owl discovered at destination. They are one of the smallest species of owl in the USA - fully grown it's 2.5oz (70 grams).

It's been cared for up in Saugerties at a wildlife rehab center and will be released there Saturday since no need to take it back upstate, they are nomadic except when breeding. Totally cute little guy... they X-rayed it, no broken bones so just fed and watered it and will make a "soft release" of it to a platform with a few mice on it on Saturday, in case his first night out on his own doesn't prove good hunting.

up here

An update of sorts to that 2020 post, just about a year later. Well a couple of updates, both "On the Bright Side" and from a local newspaper column with that tag that I always look forward to reading.

First of all that saw-whet owl turned out to be a girl, and probably not bothered by her nickname, "Rocky" at least once she had landed back up here in the Catskill mountains where she belongs.

Second, the tree that she stowed away in for her unexpected but exciting trip to Rockefeller Center last Christmas was eventually shipped back up here as well. It has been converted into non-structural grade lumber, donated to a Habitat for Humanity home under construction, and will be used for wainscoting or trim boards. Happy endings are still a thing!

Top Bottom
1 2