iPhone survives 16,000 foot fall

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
To me the big shocking news about this is that the phone wasn’t locked with a passcode.

C’mon, people. You never know when a sudden air pressure vortex will rip your phone out of your hands and shoot it 16,000 feet into the arms of a waiting identity thief. Use a passcode!

KingOfPain

Site Champ
Reaction score
To me the big shocking news about this is that the phone wasn’t locked with a passcode.
That was also mind-boggling to me. Even my iPad, which I primarily use at home, locks after several minutes.

My father once wondered, why the fingerprint isn‘t enough to unlock the iPhone after a boot-up, and I told him:
The most likely reason is that according to US law you cannot be force to reveal the passcode, but they could probably just press your finger on the sensor. Therefore, you should ideally have the phone powered down when you go through customs.
(What a lot of people don‘t know, you lose a lot of rights in and around airports in the US.)

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That was also mind-boggling to me. Even my iPad, which I primarily use at home, locks after several minutes.

My father once wondered, why the fingerprint isn‘t enough to unlock the iPhone after a boot-up, and I told him:
The most likely reason is that according to US law you cannot be force to reveal the passcode, but they could probably just press your finger on the sensor. Therefore, you should ideally have the phone powered down when you go through customs.
(What a lot of people don‘t know, you lose a lot of rights in and around airports in the US.)

Tip: no need to power down. Press and hold volume up and power simultaneously for a bit and choose not to power off or reboot. You still have to enter your code after that.

Top Bottom
1 2