WWDC 2023 Thread

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
I think the big question is how much aggregated bandwidth is offered by the TB4 ports? Has this been clarified somewhere (sorry if I missed it).

My understanding of all this that the 8 ports of the tower don’t actually offer more bandwidth than those of the Studio, and the internal I/O is connected from the 8x pool. Which would leave 16x as the primary difference. Am I wrong about this?
According to the die shot pasted at bottom (source: https://twitter.com/highyieldYT/status/1719379808516280716/photo/1 ), the M3 max has 4 TB controllers, so the Ultra would have 8

And yes, the 8x pool does offer more bandwidth. Four of those lanes go to the I/O card, which offers 2 x HDMI and 2 x USB-A, which gives bandwidth beyond what's available from the Studio. But, with 8 TB4 ports on the MP, you probably don't need the HDMI anyways. Besides, it's cleaner to do the comparison without the I/O card. So let's proceed on that basis....

According to
https://softron.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...-Ultra-Limits-and-possibilities-of-PCIe-slots (nice comparative table from that article pasted below), all the non-TB built-in I/O on the MP together uses 2` PCIe lanes (10 lanes – 8 lanes for SSD = 2):
2 x 10 Gb/s ethernet + 2 x SATA6 (2 x 6 Gb/s) + 1 x 5 Gb/s USB-A + Wi-Fi 6E (9.6 Gb/s ?) + BT 5.3 (0.05 Gb/s).

This leaves a total of 32 – 8 (for the SSD) –2 (for the built-in I/O) = 22 open PCIe4 lanes (the same figure is shown in the table below)

Thus we have:
I/O in the Ultra Studio not in MP: HDMI 2.1 + 1 x USB-A (5 Gb/s) + 1 x headphone + 1 x UHS-II SDXC (0.156 Gb/s)
I/O in the MP not in the Ultra Studio: 22 x PCIe4 + 2 x TB4 + 1 x 10 Gb ethernet + 2 x SATA6 (2 x 6 Gb/s)

Subtracting these, we have that the difference is:
22 x PCIe4 + 2 x TB4 + 1 x 10 Gb ethernet + 2 x SATA6 (2 x 6 Gb/s) – HDMI 2.1 – 1 x USB-A (5 Gb/s) – 1 x headphone – 1 x UHS-II SDXC (0.156 Gb/s)

I don't know how to compare the bandwidth from TB4 and HDMI 2.1, since TB4 is 40 Gb/s duplex, while HDMI 2.1 is 48 Gb/s simplex (with a small return channel, for control), but let's coarse-grain it and say :
1 TB4 + 2 x SATA6 (2 x 6 Gb/s) ≈ HDMI 2.1 + 1 x USB-A (5 Gb/s) + 1 x headphone + 1 x UHS-II SDXC (0.156 Gb/s)

Then the additional I/O bandwidth from the MP is about:
22 x PCIe4 + 1 x TB4 + 1 x 10 Gb ethernet ≈ 25 x PCIe4 equivalent.

Here's the table from the softron article. Even though the 2019 Intel MP had many more PCIe lanes, because many of those lanes were used for the TB ports and GPU, and because they were Gen3, the net I/O bandwidth of the AS MP is substantially higher than that of the Intel MP.

In assessing the I/O bandwith of the current Intel chips, I assume we'd also need to subtract the PCIe reserved for their internal GPU and TB ports (as well as the SSD). Intel says their current Sapphire Rapids Xeon chips have 112 PCIe 5.0 lanes. After subtracting the lanes used for the SSD, GPU, and ports from that 112 figure, that chip, and a hypothetical PCIe 5.0 AS Extreme, should be in the same I/O ballpark.

1705619751814.png

1705625893849.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2