Italy

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Spending the week after Christmas in Italy (my third trip there over the last couple decades), and it spending too much time and money putting together this trip’s camera kit :)

I think last time I brought a Sony a7r and a RX100 III and a bunch of prime lenses. This time I think it will be my Leica Q2, and Sony with belt clips instead of neck straps, and my new 24-70 2.8 lens. I figure the Q2 will be good enough for all those shots in darkened churches and museums, and the Sony will work everywhere else. Can’t decide whether to also bring my RX100 VI, because I can’t remember how often I used a lens >70mm. I never used a spider holster/clip before, and the reason I brought the RX100 last time was my back and neck ache badly after a day of lugging around the big cameras. But I’ve tested it over the last few days, and it’s remarkable how the camera isn’t even noticeable hanging off my hip. Anyway, I’ll share some shots when I come back.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Don’t know if you’ve been to Venice but I found it almost impossible to take a bad pic there.
I went there on my first trip. Don’t think I’ll make it there this time. Rome, with a side trip to Pompei and amalfi.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Spending the week after Christmas in Italy (my third trip there over the last couple decades), and it spending too much time and money putting together this trip’s camera kit :)

I think last time I brought a Sony a7r and a RX100 III and a bunch of prime lenses. This time I think it will be my Leica Q2, and Sony with belt clips instead of neck straps, and my new 24-70 2.8 lens. I figure the Q2 will be good enough for all those shots in darkened churches and museums, and the Sony will work everywhere else. Can’t decide whether to also bring my RX100 VI, because I can’t remember how often I used a lens >70mm. I never used a spider holster/clip before, and the reason I brought the RX100 last time was my back and neck ache badly after a day of lugging around the big cameras. But I’ve tested it over the last few days, and it’s remarkable how the camera isn’t even noticeable hanging off my hip. Anyway, I’ll share some shots when I come back.

I think traveling light, especially inside museums, is a great idea. I recently purchased an iPhone 15PM, which I'll use for the same and general daily purposes. My so-called "real camera" will be used more for projects.

We're hoping to travel to Florence in the future now that things have settled down.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think traveling light, especially inside museums, is a great idea. I recently purchased an iPhone 15PM, which I'll use for the same and general daily purposes. My so-called "real camera" will be used more for projects.

We're hoping to travel to Florence in the future now that things have settled down.

I went to Florence in 2005. I think back then I used an old Canon DSLR, but I don’t remember the model. May even have been a canon point-and-shoot.

1701390388515.jpeg

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I went to Florence in 2005. I think back then I used an old Canon DSLR, but I don’t remember the model. May even have been a canon point-and-shoot.

View attachment 27478

Beautiful photograph!

Back in 2005 I was shooting with a Canon 20D. Perhaps that was yours as well.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I am interested in your upcoming photos. Love Italy, unfortunately all I had was an iPhone on my trips. Not going to even attempt to put them up against the Canon.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am interested in your upcoming photos. Love Italy, unfortunately all I had was an iPhone on my trips. Not going to even attempt to put them up against the Canon.

Any modern iPhone is capable of taking much nicer photos than me with my old Canon SD500 :)

Hopefully my A1 will beat an iPhone though.

Here’s one of the Pantheon, from my more recent trip, taken with a Sony RX100 V.

1701452433363.jpeg
V

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
There's so much to photograph in Rome, especially in the afternoon light, at dusk, and after dark. The Vatican hosts a literal treasure trove of subjects, including St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Museums.

The Sistine Chapel is technically off limits for photography. Interestingly, the ban resulted from a contract with the Japanese company that helped fund restoration of Michelangelo's artwork, who wanted exclusive rights to take photos. From what I've seen and read, people shoot there all the time, though I've respected the signs during my visits.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
There's so much to photograph in Rome, especially in the afternoon light, at dusk, and after dark. The Vatican hosts a literal treasure trove of subjects, including St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Museums.

The Sistine Chapel is technically off limits for photography. Interestingly, the ban resulted from a contract with the Japanese company that helped fund restoration of Michelangelo's artwork, who wanted exclusive rights to take photos. From what I've seen and read, people shoot there all the time, though I've respected the signs during my visits.
I…have not respected the signs.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I…have not respected the signs.
LOL! Truthfully, the contractual arrangement doesn't bother me, and much of it has apparently lapsed anyway. One reason for keeping the signs is that people routinely shoot with flash, which I guess could affect the artwork over time. These days, though, it should be possible to get decent shots without added light.

Enjoy Italy wherever you go. Florence and Lake Como are on my list of places to visit there.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
LOL! Truthfully, the contractual arrangement doesn't bother me, and much of it has apparently lapsed anyway. One reason for keeping the signs is that people routinely shoot with flash, which I guess could affect the artwork over time. These days, though, it should be possible to get decent shots without added light.

Enjoy Italy wherever you go. Florence and Lake Como are on my list of places to visit there.
1701459430336.jpeg

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I unfortunately was a rule breaker going in, and a guard snatched the hat off my head while I was walking in. So I didn't want to risk pulling out my phone like so many others. The constant "no photography" being said in a stern tone also made me hand my head and say "drat!"

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Any modern iPhone is capable of taking much nicer photos than me with my old Canon SD500 :)

Hopefully my A1 will beat an iPhone though.

Here’s one of the Pantheon, from my more recent trip, taken with a Sony RX100 V.

View attachment 27482V
This was taken with an iPhone 13 Pro as a comparison. First thing off the bat you can see besides the detail, that the phone is limited in the field of view.

IMG_3522.jpg

Katbel

Site Champ
Staff Member
Reaction score
I went there on my first trip. Don’t think I’ll make it there this time. Rome, with a side trip to Pompei and amalfi.
If Rome is already one of your destination, go to Umbria. . Every city, town is a little jewel. So many beautiful places to visit.
From Perugia to Spoleto you'll be amazed. Food wise, even better than Rome touristic places

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
This was taken with an iPhone 13 Pro as a comparison. First thing off the bat you can see besides the detail, that the phone is limited in the field of view.
Was going to upload a photo of the pantheon at night that I took from my hotel room in 2017, but it’s too big for the board and I can’t compress right now. Taken with an a7rii at f1.4. Those sorts of shots can’t be replicated by an iphone yet…

Katbel

Site Champ
Staff Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that right now it would be a risky move going anywhere near Naples, Pompei and Amalfi
Since few months Italians are monitoring the seismic zone prepared to evacuate before it happens.. .

Right next door to Mount Vesuvius, an even more destructive volcano lies in wait:
Campi Flegrei boasts the biggest eruption of all the volcanoes in Europe,
but it’s often overlooked for its more famous neighbour, Vesuvius which destroyed Pompei.
Seismic activity on Campi Flegrei, a constellation of ancient volcanic craters, has intensified over the past year and especially in recent months, with more than 80 events occurring in the early hours of Wednesday morning, it just had the strongest earthquake in 40 years end of September

In this map its caldera occupies the whole area circled in red
Naples Campi Flegrei.jpeg

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that right now it would be a risky move going anywhere near Naples, Pompei and Amalfi
Since few months Italians are monitoring the seismic zone prepared to evacuate before it happens.. .

Right next door to Mount Vesuvius, an even more destructive volcano lies in wait:
Campi Flegrei boasts the biggest eruption of all the volcanoes in Europe,
but it’s often overlooked for its more famous neighbour, Vesuvius which destroyed Pompei.
Seismic activity on Campi Flegrei, a constellation of ancient volcanic craters, has intensified over the past year and especially in recent months, with more than 80 events occurring in the early hours of Wednesday morning, it just had the strongest earthquake in 40 years end of September

In this map its caldera occupies the whole area circled in red
You must be a lot of fun at parties :)

Top Bottom
1 2