Italy

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
This was taken with an iPhone 13 Pro as a comparison. First thing off the bat you can see besides the detail, that the phone is limited in the field of view.

View attachment 27493

Since I’m in Torino right now, here is a photo of the fake Torinese Pantheon from this morning :)

IMG_4993.jpeg

Katbel

Site Champ
Staff Member
Reaction score
Very lovely place :)
If you are still there and like ice cream and patisserie, they have the best chocolatiers and ice cream places
IceCream :Alberto Marchetti , La Romana, and the famous gianduiotto at Caffe Gelateria Florio in Via Po; still dreaming of it!
Patisserie : Pasticceria Pfatish , via Paolo Sacchi 42 or Pasticceria Gerla Corso Vittorio Emanuele 88
Chocolatier: Peyrano and Pfatish too and Guido Gobino.
Torino became famous for its patisseries when several Swiss pastry chefs moved to Torino at the beginning of the 1900
It still keeps its tradition

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
If you are still there and like ice cream and patisserie, they have the best chocolatiers and ice cream places
IceCream :Alberto Marchetti , La Romana, and the famous gianduiotto at Caffe Gelateria Florio in Via Po; still dreaming of it!
Patisserie : Pasticceria Pfatish , via Paolo Sacchi 42 or Pasticceria Gerla Corso Vittorio Emanuele 88
Chocolatier: Peyrano and Pfatish too and Guido Gobino.
Torino became famous for its patisseries when several Swiss pastry chefs moved to Torino at the beginning of the 1900
It still keeps its tradition

Thanks, this is a great list! I haven't managed to sampled them all yet, so it will be something for the next year. There is also a great store (Chocolate7) featuring some of the best chocolates from all over the world, and we always visit it when we are in town :)

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Spending the week after Christmas in Italy (my third trip there over the last couple decades), and it spending too much time and money putting together this trip’s camera kit :)

I think last time I brought a Sony a7r and a RX100 III and a bunch of prime lenses. This time I think it will be my Leica Q2, and Sony with belt clips instead of neck straps, and my new 24-70 2.8 lens. I figure the Q2 will be good enough for all those shots in darkened churches and museums, and the Sony will work everywhere else. Can’t decide whether to also bring my RX100 VI, because I can’t remember how often I used a lens >70mm. I never used a spider holster/clip before, and the reason I brought the RX100 last time was my back and neck ache badly after a day of lugging around the big cameras. But I’ve tested it over the last few days, and it’s remarkable how the camera isn’t even noticeable hanging off my hip. Anyway, I’ll share some shots when I come back.
Just ran across this thread..... Have a terrific time in Italy!

In response to the question about what camera gear to take, I would definitely take the Q2 and the Sony with the 20-70 f/2.8 lens. It probably can't hurt to also tuck the RX100 VI in the bag as well, just on the off chance that you might find a use for it, since it does reach to 200mm, offering more flexibility in range.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
You must be a lot of fun at parties :)
It is amazing how we just keep on keeping on. Go back and re-build.

On my tour, It struck me odd that one of the reasons Pompeii was such a cool city was they had an abundance of volcanic rock and stone to make cement that still lasts today. No one ever stop and wondered why there was so much of this volcanic material available?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
After one full day, and about to embark on day 2 (Vatican), so far I’ve been using the Leica. Mostly out of weight considerations. The lure of the 24-70 on the sony hasn’t yet triggered me to carry it. But I’m committing myself to bring the sony along on day 3. :)

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That's a very cool photo. Love the darkness - it conjures mystery not being able to see everything.

Top Bottom
1 2