"Just Walk Out"

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Seems fine to me - anything to make life easier. Hopefully we keep an eye on these companies re: data collection, biometrics, etc., but I always use self check-out when I can, and I’ve used “no checkout” on a couple of occasions and would happily use it always.

JayAgostino

Suspended
Reaction score
Amazon is finally expanding its grocery stores to my state. I can't even begin to describe how big of a difference it could possibly make.

Only a little over two years after the first store opened, they've now managed to open 33 of them.

The fact that Amazon is offering the technology to third-party retailers just goes to prove how committed they are. I can't imagine how ungodly the costs would be, but imagine a store like a Walmart Supercenter with that kind of technology. Now that would be game-changing!

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
That sounds awful. Were the employees racially profiling you?
Yep! My husband is Taiwanese American. He had no issue. Once I stood alongside him as he packed, security came to our register and asked to "randomly" check our receipt. Checks should happen by the entrance/exit. Not the registers. Other customers bagged their items without issue. And of course once I asked for supervisor/manager, they sent an African American woman. She looked pissed AF to have to deal with this early in the morning on what I think was the store's 2nd or 3rd day of operation in Flushing. We/I didn't scream, get loud or make threats. Just registered our displeasure and got the name of the store manager (and eventually regional manager). Since then no issues besides intense looks when we enter occasionally. It helped that one of the mall security supervisors was a former co-worker and friend. Once they saw us interacting with him we became familiar faces at Target and other shops in the mall.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Seems fine to me - anything to make life easier. Hopefully we keep an eye on these companies re: data collection, biometrics, etc., but I always use self check-out when I can, and I’ve used “no checkout” on a couple of occasions and would happily use it always.
I would love that. The less I have to talk to people the better.

I always use self-checks if available. Local c-store just started putting them in which is great because you don't get stuck behind lottery guy or cigarette guy.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yep! My husband is Taiwanese American. He had no issue. Once I stood alongside him as he packed, security came to our register and asked to "randomly" check our receipt. Checks should happen by the entrance/exit. Not the registers. Other customers bagged their items without issue. And of course once I asked for supervisor/manager, they sent an African American woman. She looked pissed AF to have to deal with this early in the morning on what I think was the store's 2nd or 3rd day of operation in Flushing. We/I didn't scream, get loud or make threats. Just registered our displeasure and got the name of the store manager (and eventually regional manager). Since then no issues besides intense looks when we enter occasionally. It helped that one of the mall security supervisors was a former co-worker and friend. Once they saw us interacting with him we became familiar faces at Target and other shops in the mall.

What’s the deal with Flushing’s mayor? Heard him speak at the Tom Seaver statue unveiling and he was perhaps the most annoying public speaker I’ve ever heard.

I digress.

JayAgostino

Suspended
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I came across this comment while watching a YouTube video today. I have a feeling it might hold some relevance in this case.
1657745783557.png

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
What’s the deal with Flushing’s mayor? Heard him speak at the Tom Seaver statue unveiling and he was perhaps the most annoying public speaker I’ve ever heard.

I digress.
Flushing's mayor? I use to be called the Mayor of Flushing when I blogged and earned the "Crown" on Foursquare. If you referring to NYC Mayor Eric Adams, he has a slight speech impediment and tries too hard when making public comments/speeches. Comes off very officious and pompous.

I didn't watch it as I'm not a fan of the Mutts. Even though I really liked Tom Seaver (one of dad's favs).

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I came across this comment while watching a YouTube video today. I have a feeling it might hold some relevance in this case.
View attachment 15816
Too bad they're inept and obvious racial profilers. Once they were scrutinizing us (me really as the "fly in the ointment") and a white shopper walked out with items he clearly didn't pay for. The mall security officer that just happened to be standing outside asked him if he was lost and that's the only reason why he returned the items and walked away without issue.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Flushing's mayor? I use to be called the Mayor of Flushing when I blogged and earned the "Crown" on Foursquare. If you referring to NYC Mayor Eric Adams, he has a slight speech impediment and tries too hard when making public comments/speeches. Comes off very officious and pompous.

I didn't watch it as I'm not a fan of the Mutts. Even though I really liked Tom Seaver (one of dad's favs).

I suppose I meant Queens borough president. Sloppy language on my part. Not real sure who the guy was, actually, but he wouldn’t shut up And it was super cringey.

As a huge mets fan, I had to sit through his annoying speech.

Last edited:

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I suppose I meant Queens borough president. Sloppy language on my part. Not real sure who the guy was, actually, but he wouldn’t shut up And it was super cringey.

As a huge mets fan, I had to sit through his annoying speech.
Oh, Donovan Richards. Future mayoral candidate (at least in his mind). And blowhard. Don't really know the guy. But he's lucky to be the boro prez as no other Dem really wanted it bad enough. And no Republican will win any time soon.

Dad said he watched with the sound off.

JayAgostino

Suspended
Reaction score
Top Bottom
1 2