Macrumors (and associated) Capitulates to Trolls Again

somerandomusername

Power User
Reaction score

IMG_0669.jpeg

Honestly need I say more? Explains a lot. People rag on Siri constantly over there, even if the criticisms aren’t true or don’t make sense. It’s sad that the big 3 (MacRumors, 9to5Mac, and AppleInsider) all do this shit.

Last edited:

somerandomusername

Power User
Reaction score
I’m a little confused. What is the context here?
The original blogpost was about ”iPhone was missing these 10 essential features when unveiled in 2007”

Macrumors created a list of features it thought were important, and Siri was on the list they thought was important.

Then people complained about Siri on Macrumors (as usual), and then macrumors changed the content of the article. Seriously? What the F is wrong with these people? They’re controlled by the internet, they can’t think for themselves and say what they want.

MacRumors has been carefully cultivating a community of pieces of shit since Steve died, and they constantly write stuff that placates to people who hate on Apple. So when I said, “need I say more?” I was referring to this entire situation.

Sidenote: the article itself is dumb. It’s mixing “essential features for iphone” in general with essential features for iPhone in 2007/8/9. So the list itself doesn’t even make sense to begin with. Then Macrumors capitulates to morons and changes the list to placate them, but the motive behind doing that in conjunction with the purpose of the article doesn’t even make sense, thus illustrating their entire existence is predicated on placating to trolls on Apple forums.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s pretty stupid. Sorry, without that context the post didn’t make much sense. I read that article today and even commented. That’s pretty sad that a group of posters pressured a tech blog to change a blog post. 😂

I don’t know the mods or how they operate, but that’s a poor reason to edit a post.

somerandomusername

Power User
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s pretty stupid. Sorry, without that context the post didn’t make much sense. I read that article today and even commented. That’s pretty sad that a group of posters pressured a tech blog to change a blog post. 😂

I don’t know the mods or how they operate, but that’s a poor reason to edit a post.
Yeah, it’s pretty pathetic. It’s funny (not the comments) when it rears its truly ugly head (and it’s already the fugliest thing on earth) when anything to do with Apple has something to do with LGBT, women, racism, etc. and people come out of the woodwork to write racist, homophobic, sexist shit., forcing MacRumors to turn off comments (especially given some of the writers are directly affected by those comments).

They can’t even control the monster that they created and rely on to put food on the table. Reminds me a lot of certain parallels to other stuff, but anyways. They sold their soul.
And I understand why, more than ever, Steve and Katie Cotton always tried to hone their message with journalists and bloggers.

Also, I want to give another example from a different site that also does this stuff often (writing content to placate trolls in order to get revenue; Apple hate drives page clicks):

In this video, an employee of 9to5Mac talks about Apple’s upcoming launch, and I was extremely surprised about something that was on screen for a split second. This was literally mentioned NOWHERE on that site ever, ever. I am so surprised that it got put into that video, that I will not be surprised if it gets edited and reuploaded:

IMG_0670.jpeg

He mentions the staff member of the blog that got to try it out wrote that message after the demo. He literally says the demo itself is worth $3500. Again, he has never once stated this publicly to my knowledge.

If you notice, that is from an internal communication platform, likely Slack. While he was positive about it in his initial article about it, if you go and read it alongside the podcast he made about it with another 9to5Mac writer, his enthusiasm is relatively muted compared to these internal messages of his to other writers.

If you’re going to talk about something, just say what you actually think. People are so scared to talk positively about Apple that this constant “Apple sheep” bullshit that I constantly see just makes me laugh. Where? Please tell me. I don’t see a lot of “Apple sheep” at the moment (because they’re in hiding from shitty trolls), but I definitely see a fuck ton of haters, specifically because of what MacRumors, 9to5Mac, and AppleInsider have cultivated since Steve died. They chose easy clicks over being objective. It disgusts me.

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I got banned from MR for pointing out that people on MR hate Apple and if they hate it so much why are they spending so much time at an Apple site? That said, the butterfly keyboard was a disaster, and Siri seems to get worse every year.

I have spoken.

somerandomusername

Power User
Reaction score
I got banned from MR for pointing out that people on MR hate Apple and if they hate it so much why are they spending so much time at an Apple site?
I’ve absolutely thought the same thing. I detest many companies, some of which I’ll keep to myself, but I don’t spend time reading articles about them, let alone writing comments on them, let alone literally spending hours every day commenting negative shit. What the fuck? Are these people on drugs?
I’ve always thought these kinds of people clearly have shit going on in their life, and they take it out on Apple (probably among some others) online.
How bad does your personal life have to be to do this kind of stuff?

I’m fine if people don’t like a particular thing or want something in particular, but the constant hate and negativity and bandwagon bullshit is way too much.
Apple is a team of human beings, and whilst they don’t nearly pay attention nearly as much to stupid shit like this as much as other companies, I can’t imagine dedicating so much time of my life to creating something in order to make someone happy and improve their life, only to have constantly irrational online hate from blogs and comments, at least initially.

Quite frankly, the people who deserve criticism in the tech industry are always least likely to get it (example: the thread I made on here about how Apple releases products and other companies release concept videos. Apple gets all the hate, but those companies get all the praise. I guess I should include a link to make it clear:

https://techboards.net/threads/only-one-of-these-videos-is-real.4470/ ).

somerandomusername

Power User
Reaction score
These Are the kinds of people MacRumors placates to:

IMG_0674.jpeg

IMG_0675.jpeg

IMG_0676.jpeg

No, you didn’t read that incorrectly. Right before your very eyes someone on MacRumors just made some bullshit up in attempt to insult, then someone reacted and agreed with the insult, and then they reacted and proceeded to talk about it as if the bullshit they just made up was true.

These people have genuine psychological issues.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
No, you didn’t read that incorrectly. Right before your very eyes someone on MacRumors just made some bullshit up in attempt to insult, then someone reacted and agreed with the insult, and then they reacted and proceeded to talk about it as if the bullshit they just made up was true.

IMG_0010.jpeg

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
These Are the kinds of people MacRumors placates to:

View attachment 27943

View attachment 27944

View attachment 27945

I agree with your characterizations of MR, including the nasty tone exhibited by many of the people who post there and the arbitrary moderation. In addition to the Apple-haters who incessantly criticize everything Apple does without providing reasoned arguments, there are numerous lame attempts at humor. For example, in the thread about what will be included in the AVP box, many people have derisively commented on the inclusion of a polishing cloth. It's the new version of "PowerBook G5 next Tuesday."

The net result over the years has been a steady decline in the signal-to-noise ratio at MR, especially in comments about news stories. I rarely post to them any more, but forum threads about specific issues, workarounds, and the like are still useful because there are knowledgable people who are ready to assist. I find it healthier to not pay attention to or engage with the idiots and just concentrate on what I find interesting and helpful.

somerandomusername

Power User
Reaction score

Not sure how to respond to that. This is a common behavior on that site, and I’ve seen the situation I pointed out before multiple times.
Spending their life writing negative stuff constantly about something they supposedly don’t care about… Hm…

I also swapped “your” with “their.” I wasn’t ever referring to Nycturne in this reply but I figured I should make it more clear lol.

Last edited:

somerandomusername

Power User
Reaction score
I agree with your characterizations of MR, including the nasty tone exhibited by many of the people who post there and the arbitrary moderation. In addition to the Apple-haters who incessantly criticize everything Apple does without providing reasoned arguments, there are numerous lame attempts at humor. For example, in the thread about what will be included in the AVP box, many people have derisively commented on the inclusion of a polishing cloth. It's the new version of "PowerBook G5 next Tuesday."

The net result over the years has been a steady decline in the signal-to-noise ratio at MR, especially in comments about news stories. I rarely post to them any more, but forum threads about specific issues, workarounds, and the like are still useful because there are knowledgable people who are ready to assist. I find it healthier to not pay attention to or engage with the idiots and just concentrate on what I find interesting and helpful.
Well I’m glad I’m not the only one who notices it, you among others. Thank goodness. It’s pretty irritating to read. You know, for example, the Oculus Quest has this ”Elite Strap” that I’ve read is really required to make the product feel comfortable. That headband literally costs hundreds of dollars. Hundreds of dollars to make the product useable. (I have looked it up and apparently now with battery, which is the point of it, it costs $129. I’m not sure if Facebook has since adjusted the price since I last read about it, but I remember it costing a chunk of change at one point. So I’m keeping this in, but it currently costs $129. Still, that’s $500 + $129 + gaming PC cost, not exactly cheap).

Apple is including two separately designed straps for free in the box, even after the countless rumors and regurgitation from Mark Gurman and the like said Apple would charge money for it. Also Gurman said the lenses would cost $600, and Apple is charging $150, which compared to other ”competing” products that have far inferior lenses for a similar price (around $100), $150 for prescription Zeiss glass seems like a bargain.

The point isn’t whether $3500 justifies whether something is included or not, the point is that many people excoriated Apple for rumors. Then when the rumors weren’t true… silence. Nothing. Not even a mention of being pleased that Apple included certain accessories (that these commenters themselves hoped would be in the box). Not even a mention of being pleased that the lenses are at a fair, even competitive price given the manufacturer (Zeiss). No, instead they moved onto saying Apple should include them in the box. A box which includes a ton of accessories (oh, look, even a charging brick. Happy about that? No of course not, crickets).

It looks like MacRumors has always been a shithole, but I concur with this a lot

The net result over the years has been a steady decline in the signal-to-noise ratio at MR, especially in comments about news stories.

ArgoDuck

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Canon
Not sure how to respond to that. This is a common behavior on that site, and I’ve seen the situation I pointed out before multiple times.
Spending your life writing negative stuff constantly about something you supposedly don’t care about… Hm…
Nycturne alludes to the past ‘science’ of using size and shape of cranium to infer aspects of character and intellectual capacity. Needless to say - whatever its original intentions may have been - it ended up mirroring and promoting racist and sexist tropes. Our past remains alive and well in our present 🙁

somerandomusername

Power User
Reaction score
Nycturne alludes to the past ‘science’ of using size and shape of cranium to infer aspects of character and intellectual capacity. Needless to say - whatever its original intentions may have been - it ended up mirroring and promoting racist and sexist tropes. Our past remains alive and well in our present 🙁
Ohhhh. Thank you for clarifying that. Yeah, it’s gross behavior, I agree : (

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Ohhhh. Thank you for clarifying that. Yeah, it’s gross behavior, I agree : (

Yeah, I was making a snarky comment on the behavior of the posters you called out, not your post. I couldn't resist because I've been re-reading the Myst books this last week, and the discussion of "bringing civility to the savages we colonize" is a thread behind the thinking of elites in this fictional society that mirrors white colonialism in our own. And a thread in both is the scrutinizing the bodies of people of color (the other) to justify how they are "lesser", or "built wrong", etc, etc, etc.

So taking a black person and going "This can't be real because the face is all wrong" because they don't have a common European head shape is just more of the same. Yes, the image has been heavily touched up, and I find the image a little unsettling because it dips into the uncanny valley after being run through Photoshop/etc (it's a rather extreme example of "airbrushing" that's been sadly common for decades). But I don't see any evidence that they didn't use a real model for it, but perhaps 10 years ago, this model wouldn't have gotten the job because of western beauty standards being so Euro-centric.

I just did a google search for phrenology and a top hit was a 2018 paper trying to link forehead angle with "impulsiveness while driving". As ArgoDuck says, it is still very much alive and tied to racism today. It's just shunned in the mainstream science circles.

Spending their life writing negative stuff constantly about something they supposedly don’t care about… Hm…

I wish it was more surprising, to be honest. It's an old human behavior.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Oh, and just because I tend to dig too deep on nonsense, I noticed that the 9to5 video seemed to have a shot of the same model from a different angle. And sure enough, she's used for the big 360 spin of the product on Apple's website. Just the lighting they used for the 360 is not what I'd consider flattering to the subject at certain angles. She's used again to show off the "people can see your eyes" feature later. The lighting is much less harsh, but if I'm honest, the screen with the eyes still feels very weird to me. I can't help but be reminded a bit of the robot from Lexx.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 1.26.09 PM.png

around_you__bfdlxkwczahe_large.jpg

Top Bottom
1 2