Metricisity

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
What quantity of Half and Half would you rather purchase? Not starting a fight, just a cultural preferences discussion. :)
  • 473 ML
  • 16 Fluid ounces
  • 1 Pint

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
What quantity of Half and Half would you rather purchase? Not starting a fight, just a cultural preferences discussion. :)
  • 473 ML
  • 16 Fluid ounces
  • 1 Pint

Lost me at "Half and Half"... that stuff is like motor oil in my view.

But I'd prefer half a liter. Why we don't convert to metric and be done with it is just beyond me.

This particular winter though I might balk at conversion to Celsius temps. It's bad enough seeing subzero in Fahrenheit, I'm not ready for what that translates to on "the sane scale".

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Lost me at "Half and Half"... that stuff is like motor oil in my view.

But I'd prefer half a liter. Why we don't convert to metric and be done with it is just beyond me.

This particular winter though I might balk at conversion to Celsius temps. It's bad enough seeing subzero in Fahrenheit, I'm not ready for what that translates to on "the sane scale".
Now the Half and Half was for our special Clam Chowder recipe. Motor oil richness is required. 😛To be fair the package had all 3 amounts listed, but what got my attention was when I picked up something that looked like a pint and it said 473 ML (for the European side) and on the other side all 3 quantities were listed (for the remedial US side ;)).

I’m so vested In cups and pints for cooking, I’ll always prefer that, but don’t mind the translations. My guess if we ever get serious on metric we might see 500 ML or .5 liters which is 17.5 fluid ounces (vs 16 Floz) which will mess up all of our recipes! ;)

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I’m so vested In cups and pints for cooking, I’ll always prefer that, but don’t mind the translations. My guess if we ever get serious on metric we might see 500 ML or .5 liters which is 17.5 fluid ounces (vs 16 Floz) which will mess up all of our recipes!

I'm sure that last bit is a huge part of why we haven't converted. We don't really care that we're already "buying metric" sometimes, e.g., the 2 liter bottles of carbonated beverages, but when recipes have to be converted, there'd be hell to pay all over the USA. All those treasured recipes from grandma wouldn't work out quite right any more.

Sure, a lot of recipes and cookbooks printed in the US have long since started to include some metric information, but we're still skimming over that looking for familiar references in ounces, cups, pints etc. And most of us are not used to weighing out ingredients for baked goods. We're still using dry-volume measuring cups.

Someday the hammer will fall, because it does cost money for global commerce to keep dealing in two systems. Conversion to metric will be one of the final options for cost squeezing and you can bet your last bitcoin that that squeeze will occur. Ever look at all the marks on a 2-cup Pyrex liquid measure container? Definitely cheaper not to have to print or embed 2 sets of lines on those things.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
My preference would be 4 gill ...

:sneaky:
Figures 😜 Actually if I had heard of a gill I’d forgotten It.

But…

A9788442-7A0C-4AFA-870A-FAA41D94002E.jpeg
Holy crap, what good does that do me?? ;)

Top Bottom
1 2