Multiple people shot in New York City subway

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Five people were shot on a moving subway train in Brooklyn Tuesday morning and several more were injured in the chaos when a gunman opened fire after possibly throwing a smoke grenade on the train before fleeing the chaos after the train pulled into a station.

Several undetonated devices were also found at the location, according to fire officials and three law enforcement sources, and the gunman remains on the loose.

They stress the investigation is preliminary, and earlier reports indicated the attack happened on the platform at the 36th Street and Fourth Avenue station in Brooklyn around 8:30 a.m..

The gunman was described as a man about 5 feet 5 inches tall and 180 pounds who was wearing a gas mask and an orange construction vest, according to three senior law enforcement officials.

Greenish smoke spewed from the subway doors when the northbound N train stopped at the platform in Sunset Park. People were seen running, and bleeding.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
So far they're "not calling it an act of terror" so we can assume the shooter is white.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Now they say they are looking for a UHaul van with Arizona plates.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I heard that description given multiple times on CNN. That’s what I’ve been watching.
I haven't been watching but assumed this was the case, just laughing at the partisan ship out there around it.

Will be interesting to see whether or not they call it an act of terrorism as it's typically based on the color of one's skin. I would argue that any time you indiscriminately shoot a bunch of people it's an act of terror regardless.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Saw CNN video when I went out to pick up lunch. The owner and wait staff said it was targeting Asians. I haven't really been reading up on this, but do know that particular area has a large Asian population. And the video clips I saw showed mostly Asians. I think that's the area where an ex lived and he called it Brooklyn's Chinatown (this was many years ago).

Waiting for more official news as there is so much noise and false info on social media.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Saw CNN video when I went out to pick up lunch. The owner and wait staff said it was targeting Asians. I haven't really been reading up on this, but do know that particular area has a large Asian population. And the video clips I saw showed mostly Asians. I think that's the area where an ex lived and he called it Brooklyn's Chinatown (this was many years ago).

Waiting for more official news as there is so much noise and false info on social media.

Doesn’t appear to have targeted Asians. Sunset Park is more Hispanic than Asian, for what it’s worth. But you can’t really tell anything by where the attack occurred - it was on a train which had stopped at lots of other places along the way and was a few stops from manhattan.

Since the train was heading into manhattan, it would have been northbound starting at Coney Island. Train would be full of people from south of Sunset Park, as the people getting on at 36th street wouldn’t be on the train yet. I was born a few blocks from there.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t appear to have targeted Asians. Sunset Park is more Hispanic than Asian, for what it’s worth. But you can’t really tell anything by where the attack occurred - it was on a train which had stopped at lots of other places along the way and was a few stops from manhattan.

Since the train was heading into manhattan, it would have been northbound starting at Coney Island. Train would be full of people from south of Sunset Park, as the people getting on at 36th street wouldn’t be on the train yet. I was born a few blocks from there.
I was confused. I thought the shooting happened in Bensonhurst. And the restaurant where I saw the clips actually was showing some Chinese news channel using clips from CNN. I think they were focusing on Chinese/asians victims. There was no sound and I simply saw the CNN logo and thought they were watching CNN.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I read that none of the injuries sustained by victims are life-threatening. Considering how crowded the subway is in NYC, that has to be a minor miracle...
Luckily it was the N train, and not in the heart of rush hour - if you were on that train you were getting to Manhattan at around 9, which is a late start for NYC.

A lot of the injuries seem to have been to the lower extremities. Not sure if the guy was aiming low, or the smoke confused him, or what.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Sounds brilliant to throw a smoke grenade and THEN start shooting up the train car. Homebrew terrorists are maybe coming up a little short on training, thanks god.
It's all too easy to obtain all that gear with little to no questions.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sounds brilliant to throw a smoke grenade and THEN start shooting up the train car. Homebrew terrorists are maybe coming up a little short on training, thanks god.
If his gun hadn’t jammed, sounded like it may have worked really well. The smoke drove everyone into a cluster at one end of the car.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It doesn’t matter what gun laws are passed in NY. When you have states with no rules at all, there is no stopping the guns from being taken to NY or any other state with stricter gun laws. We don’t have checkpoints at state lines…
Can't argue with this. I remember living in Oregon where many of the bigger fireworks were illegal (mortars, firecrackers, etc) but everyone went across the border to Washington and got them without any questions, they even waved taxes if you showed your Oregon ID.

I imagine Chicago (IL) is much the same, Republicans love to use it as an example but the reality is anyone crossing a border can easily obtain them.

Top Bottom
1 2