Musk offers to buy Twitter

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It's not that surprising really. It is a fiduciary board, so it has to act on the best interests of the share holders. If share holders feel it's a good offer they will press, some won't care about Twitter itself, just in their money.

Granted it may seem short sighted as it becomes a troll haven, but an abandoned wasteland by everyone else. All because the new guy in charge will be more concerned with himself, than the majority using the service.

I think it's funny how 'r's have to remind you who they are even in this case. As they have the hypocrisy to demand the preservation of records, when they aren't ( understandably ) if it isn't anything to do with Hilary Clinton.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1517492009790889986/
All the Conservatives who have been screaming censorship will be given access back to spew their hate and scream fire in a theatre with no repercussions, Donald Trump will be reinstated and it will descend back into the shithole it used to be.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
All the Conservatives who have been screaming censorship will be given access back to spew their hate and scream fire in a theatre with no repercussions, Donald Trump will be reinstated and it will descend back into the shithole it used to be.

Which is once again understandable, of a sorts.

Musk himself is insulated from the chaos & damage that would result from his ideal version of Twitter. It would become a place of worship for himself & others, while he & others are allowed to spread any disinformation in the name of "free speech".

It will be interesting to see if these "conservatives" still champion the free market, when users decide they'd rather move to an alternative. Or if the ever inevitable cries of "cancel culture" ring out again, because no one wants to hear their shit.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Which is once again understandable, of a sorts.

Musk himself is insulated from the chaos & damage that would result from his ideal version of Twitter. It would become a place of worship for himself & others, while he & others are allowed to spread any disinformation in the name of "free speech".

It will be interesting to see if these "conservatives" still champion the free market, when users decide they'd rather move to an alternative. Or if the ever inevitable cries of "cancel culture" ring out again, because no one wants to hear their shit.
It would be nice to see it managed by a governing body rather than a single person with an opinion. Jack Dorsey made the decision to remove Trump, Musk will reinstate him. When a platform is run by an idealist it's going to be divided based on that person's politics no matter what side they're on.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Which is about where it was on the 5th of this month, is this really news?

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 6.39.16 AM.png

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Yeah I'm just not interested in a platform that will permit airing of flat 180º lies and conspiracy theories -- the latter along lines of the Alex Jones one, suggesting that the Sandy Hook slaughter of 20 first graders and their teachers and administrators was "a hoax".

WTF. It doesn't take more than one rocket scientist to ditch that off a social media platform.

The question is whether Musk is the "rocket scientist" for the Twitter board to roll with. Just his whine that Trump was bumped should be enough to keep backbone in Twitter's board members. It's not like there's any question whether Trump is a world class liar. Let him post his lies on his own social media platform since he has one struggling to get to cruising altitude. Musk could buy him some better developers maybe lol.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yeah I'm just not interested in a platform that will permit airing of flat 180º lies and conspiracy theories -- the latter along lines of the Alex Jones one, suggesting that the Sandy Hook slaughter of 20 first graders and their teachers and administrators was "a hoax".

WTF. It doesn't take more than one rocket scientist to ditch that off a social media platform.

The question is whether Musk is the "rocket scientist" for the Twitter board to roll with. Just his whine that Trump was bumped should be enough to keep backbone in Twitter's board members. It's not like there's any question whether Trump is a world class liar. Let him post his lies on his own social media platform since he has one struggling to get to cruising altitude. Musk could buy him some better developers maybe lol.
While Twitter has its share of right wing nutjobs you still had an idea that there's some oversight in the way they've put their foot down on some of the more unhinged accounts and it's kept the platform as a whole credible. I think when you pull all of that it will descend into the likes of Parler or Trump's Truth Social and lose all of that.

Aside from this, none of these companies last forever and while Twitter has survived it for longer than many look at MySpace, AOL, and now FB. Ask Rupert Murdoch how well the purchase of MySpace went.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
This also concerns me from some of the comments he has made. It sounds like all the nutjobs will come back and it will turn into a dumpster fire.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yep, I gently warned people not to get too comfortable with that original offer not being accepted, that was very informal, when he started putting together his financials, I knew it was coming. The board has a fiduciary responsibility, that offer, current market eval = accept offer. :cautious:

Anybody going to try to make some money on this? I feel like if I could make a couple of grand, that would be my last engagement with Twitter ... *sigh* a member since July 2007 ...

Nut jobs, magas, Russian trolls, …

C.H.U.D., Morlocks ...

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Gotta wonder if he'll allow the kid who has been posting his plane locations to remain.

Hah, yeah. "Free speech" by others will have its ups and downs for Musk as for anyone else, eh?

In the wake of this attempted Twitter takeover, I find myself launching into my daily news explorations more from emailed briefs than from my Twitter list of media outlets to which I subscribe.

If Musk creates a venue tailored to right wing crackpot style "free speech" -- as opposed to having a reasonable moderation of commentary-- I won't ditch my setup but I won't bother checking in very often... not if it becomes a pain in the neck to minimize garbage showing up in my feed.

There's a huge difference between "conservative opinion" and the circus antics of extreme pro-Trumpers. I welcome reading some of the former, but there's only so much work I'll engage in to clear my table of the latter. That doesn't mean I want to live i a silo of left-leaning info. I just have no room to hear the likes of MTG or Cawthorn, Boebert, etc., much less their fans on Twitter. It's bad enough knowing I have a few actual neighbors who are still pro-Trump...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
If Musk creates a venue tailored to right wing crackpot style "free speech" -- as opposed to having a reasonable moderation of commentary-- I won't ditch my setup but I won't bother checking in very often... not if it becomes a pain in the neck to minimize garbage showing up in my feed.

This is exactly my perspective, if there's enough controls, without an undue amount of management required to not be overwhelmed by stupidity, I'll stick around (though I'd imagine still less than now, which isn't all that much as it is to be honest ...)

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Twitter reminded me of my Twitter anniversary last week. It's been a steady decline of engagement there over those 13 years. I long ago gave up with all the right wing nonsense. This will just mean increased BS.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
There are some who believe Trump should be back on Twitter to remind people what an insane idiot he is before they consider putting him back in office. At this point I can't see Trump winning over any new converts and Trumpism has already grown well beyond the man himself. This could help prevent some of the "Biden and Democrats haven't done shit for me and maybe Trump really wasn't that bad, I can't recall." votes.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
All but inked...

Kind of a bizarre example of how companies put shareholders above all else. Capitalism has no moral imperative. Can’t say I really blame them. Elon offered way more than the company is worth and there’s really no realistic revenue growing plan in site. But it also shows that almost nobody in this equation did a damn thing in the realm of “hard work”. It’s all just a money shell game at the highest levels.

I think it’s fair to say most people don’t use Twitter and instead are mostly exposed to it by Twitter users reposting somewhere else. So you have posts that were maybe read by 100 people on Twitter but then get reposted on sites or videos outside Twitter increasing the view to thousands or millions. It’s the definitive “I didn’t sign up for this shit” that you can’t avoid getting exposed to.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It's a win for:
  • Donald Trump
  • Russian hackers
  • QAnon Conspiracy Theorists
  • Fox News
  • Jan 6th sympathizers
All considered "Free Speech". I'll be dumping my account as soon as he takes over, let them have their right wing shit-hole and wallow in its echo-chamber.

Top Bottom
1 2