Recommendations for travel video

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go on vacation soon and want to shoot still pics and high quality video. My iPhone does a relatively decent job with video, but I'd like to do better without having to carry around a second bulky camera. What about something like a GoPro HERO11? Any other recommendations? TIA.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I don't shoot video personally. GoPros are highly regarded but they are quite wide angle. Is your phone your only camera? Most modern cameras have video capability that would be better than a GoPro (or at least let you change to a normal focal length, assuming you have regular lenses).

If you think a regular camera is too bulky, I'd go with the GoPro.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
GoPro line is very good, but depending on what you want to shoot you could also consider a 360 camera as well. Another contender is insta360 X3, or other insta360 camera. Do your research though, the GoPro and other manufacturers of those action cameras all seem to have one caveat or another.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I just watched a few videos about the Insta360 X3. It's an amazing piece of tech that uses two back-to-back lenses and sensors to capture a sphere of video. The companion smartphone app lets you do some amazing things, like keeping an object centered regardless of the camera's position. But it seems most suited for action, whereas I'm looking to capture more conventional shots that include motion. There's also some distortion from the ultra wide-angle lenses.

My Nikon will shoot video, though I haven't used it for that often. For this trip, I want to keep it optimized for stills and have a separate compact camera for video. On previous excursions where I've carried a separate DSLR and video cam, I found it awkward to switch between them. With something like a GoPro, I think it'll be easier.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yep then GoPro will probably fit the bill. Again though make sure you read all the ins and outs of the camera. During my research I read a lot of negative reviews on camera X and it seem to boil down with people believing the hype from the manufacture sites and paid IG influencers, rather than their own research. Then those folk complain about dropping $$$ only to find it doesn't do well in X situation.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I have had GoPro's since the Hero 3. I now have a 10. And not a single time have I ever made a video that looked like one in the ads. :eek:

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I still think it's better to shoot on your phone because the iPhone takes pretty cool pictures and has excellent shooting quality.
Funny to see this thread revived. I did get the GoPro and it did the job for the most part. I kept it on a lanyard around my neck, so it was always handy. But it was a bit of a pain switching between my Nikon, which I only used for stills, and the GoPro, which I used for both. My new iPhone 15 PM is quite capable, but I don't think I'd be ready to rely on it for my next trip, so I think I'll look for a Sony or other camera that will handle both stills and video well.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Not cheap but ups your iPhone photo and video game.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have been using my iPhone (15 pro max) for videos lately and it does an excellent job, they say the quality is just as good as the GoPros and even better in low light. I've invested in a cheaper handheld gimbal stabilizer (which frankly I've stopped using because my hand can be just as steady) and a couple of mounts both for my tripod and one in the window of my car.

We're taking a cruise next year and aside from my mirrorless for photography the iPhone will be my go to for all video work and point and shoot grabs.

Top Bottom
1 2