Serious National Security Threat Involving Russia

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This should be interesting. Hopefully more details will soon be coming out.

It's a shame the link below won't unfurl.

Also:

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Hope they tamp down the anxiety soon... Things that rattled around in my head.

Imminent Terrorist activity
National leadership issues with an Adversary or Ally (e.g, N. Korea, Taiwan)
Intelligence leak or exposure
Cyber Crime, think major bank or stock market control/theft

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Apparently it’s related to Russia. Perhaps their equivalent to our DEFCON state of readiness was enhanced? Pure speculation, of course. Maybe something related to trump’s recent comments? Apparently the House Intelligence Chairman (a repub) would like whatever it is declassified and released to the public. I hope that’s not motivated by politics.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Apparently it’s related to Russia. Perhaps their equivalent to our DEFCON state of readiness was enhanced? Pure speculation, of course. Maybe something related to trump’s recent comments? Apparently the House Intelligence Chairman (a repub) would like whatever it is declassified and released to the public. I hope that’s not motivated by politics.
Whatever it is at least the WH is aware of it, also wouldn't be far fetched if it were something given to them by Trump.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
What's kind of weird is national security news (apparently serious and related to Russia) breaking in that manner.

Heh...maybe the Russians are going to base nuclear-tipped missiles in Cuba again? :)

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'm watching the PBS News Hour right now. One of their journalists is reporting that Russia launched an operational anti-satellite vehicle that could be used to target and destroy US space reconnaissance and other strategic assets.

If true, that's pretty serious.

EDIT: I don't think it has launched yet.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Trump is not going to make it to Election Day without forcing the Republican Party to condemn him.

He’s not going to take America’s side in this, and I hate to use his catchphrase, but I don’t have any doubt about it, and neither do you.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The more I think about this story, the more I'm believing it's a political stunt by the repubs to generate a lot of FUD attempting to get citizens worried and chumed up (about nukes in space). With the goal of suggesting Biden's been asleep at the switch and doesn't have your back. Nuclear weapons in space to take out US national security satellites? I don't think so.

Seems Rep. Mike Turner, a republican, is on a mission to embarrass Biden by demanding he declassify the particulars (suggesting he needs to come straight with the American public).

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
The more I think about this story, the more I'm believing it's a political stunt by the repubs to generate a lot of FUD attempting to get citizens worried and chumed up (about nukes in space). With the goal of suggesting Biden's been asleep at the switch and doesn't have your back. Nuclear weapons in space to take out US national security satellites? I don't think so.

Seems Rep. Mike Turner, a republican, is on a mission to embarrass Biden by demanding he declassify the particulars (suggesting he needs to come straight with the American public).

Regardless of the seriousness of the threat or lack of, it absolutely was a political stunt. An attempt to drum up fear. Axios reports the House GOP is also gearing up to investigate Biden's mental competency - you push the narrative of a strong national security threat with a president who's on the brink of mental collapse and it makes for an interesting story, especially if you have an army of cultists who don't read and believe whatever they're told.

I don't think any of this will work. There's enough real danger in our everyday lives (like being shot by lunatics at a parade, or having your head cut off by your far-right kid) without these political stunts causing more chaos and fear. I think most Americans will recognize it for what it is.

cbum

Power User
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the Russians have performed antisatellite testing in the past, and this is likely ongoing development of those capabilities. Why this is suddenly news is not clear to me.

One thing IS clear: anyone planning on attacking orbiting assets (with the unavoidable responses by others) is basically saying "after me the deluge", since the ensuing debris would make near earth orbits unsurvivable for centuries.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hah...

Heard on the news tonight the Russian anti-satellite craft is *nuclear powered* (and not a nuclear weapon) - as expected. That tech, likely a radioisotope thermo-electric generator (RTG), goes back to the 1960s powering some satellites and spacecraft where solar collection is not feasible.

Anti-satellite satellites are still a threat. But only to US satellites used for intelligence collection and communications purposes. And not to humans on planet Earth as a weapon.

Top Bottom
1 2