Should a Florida man's church confession be evidence in a criminal case

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
So this wonderful Christian raped the pastors 12 year old daughter. then said he would face the consequences and confessed to all about it. but then his lawyer is trying to get him off. but How much you wanna bet he said got has forgiven him? really all he wanted was for them to forgive him not actually paying the price for what he did.

Juan Martin Gonzalez said that he’d sinned. He apologized. He vowed to “face the situation.”

People in the crowd demanded more. God wouldn’t forgive him, they said, unless he said exactly what he’d done wrong.

Gonzalez kept talking. His words were captured on video. The video was later shared with police.

After Gonzalez was charged with lewd and lascivious molestation, his lawyers asked that the video be tossed as evidence. What it showed, they said, was a religious confession from a man who sought spiritual guidance. His words, they argued, were protected under a legal concept known as clergy-penitent privilege, which bars the disclosure of a person’s communications with a religious adviser.

A trial judge agreed. But an appeals court late last month overturned the judge’s decision. It ordered further proceedings in the case, which has raised difficult questions about the law, religious freedom and the separation of church and state.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I think that the same exception to confidentiality in Psychology should be applied. If the person "confessing" is talking about harming themselves or others, or if they committed a serious crime. Client/Doctor confidentiality doesn't apply, but that is my own opinion.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think that the same exception to confidentiality in Psychology should be applied. If the person "confessing" is talking about harming themselves or others, or if they committed a serious crime. Client/Doctor confidentiality doesn't apply, but that is my own opinion.
but the guy used a microphone to tell all. he also said he would deal with the consequences but is trying to get out of it.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
but the guy used a microphone to tell all. he also said he would deal with the consequences but is trying to get out of it.
Yeah that is an obvious situation.

But the whole Confidentiality of confession is just wrong, if it involves a serious crime (rape, murder, kidnapping) or planning of a crime.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'd be OK with the confession being tossed if he gets an immediate permanent transfer to the hot place down under (not Australia). After all, isn't that where Christians say he should end up? :)

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah that is an obvious situation.

But the whole Confidentiality of confession is just wrong, if it involves a serious crime (rape, murder, kidnapping) or planning of a crime.
yes we are seeing that really bad with JW one guy confessed but kept doing it. or was it Mormons? all the same thing.

Top Bottom
1 2