ICE Vehicles: General topics

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Mine updated after I made some threatening remarks at my car ... :ROFLMAO:

FWIW, I was on the same specific revision as you, 2021.4.21.3, this update they dropped the last place version identifier, so it's just 2021.32.21

Apparently the versioning methodology is year.week.build, so a 2021.32 is a branch started in Week 32 of 2021, i.e., 08-09-2021 - 08-15-2021 (and build being an incrementing sequence, usually denoting a fix vs. a feature).

big question is when do we get 2021.36? Tesla App 4.1 brings features that only .36 has and to my knowledge no Tesla has it yet.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
big question is when do we get 2021.36? Tesla App 4.1 brings features that only .36 has and to my knowledge no Tesla has it yet.

Oh yeah, I just "force updated" my Tesla app, didn't realize 4.1 was out!

Yay! My interior color finally matches :D Hahaha, on the app, in the climate function it showed my car as having the black/wood interior o_O

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
So I go away for the weekend and the wife buys this:

1633267278877.png

It's a 2019 Range Rover Sport with 26K miles. It was not a CPO but added the extended LR warranty out to 7/100.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I am still undecided on what electric car to buy. My heart says Ioniq 5, but the head (and the wife) says BMW IX3. I find it hard though to justify purchasing a vehicle that I find so boring on the outside. It makes me want to fall asleep every time I see a normal X3 and the IX3 looks exactly the same. The Hyundai makes me smile and looks great from every angle to my eyes. But I will spend far more time on the inside and that's where the BMW wins comfortably. I see Mercedes have an electric GLB coming out, which I don't mind the looks of, but the battery and therefore range is worse than either of the other cars. The recently announced EQE looks absolutely awful, so I have no interest in that and I expect it to be rather pricey.
I like the Audi e-tron… its price may be comparable to the BMW? At least for the entry level… you can configure it up to over $100K…

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Did you totally remove Tesla from consideration?

A few things I'd say, after 3-1/2 months, are a non-issue (and I often see them mentioned by non-owners):

The company / Musk, you know, all the nutty shit that has little to do with actual ownership.

The interior configuration, i.e., the single centralized display (obv. talking 3 and Y), it's just zero issue (this is coming from a driver/"Car Guy")

The upsides vs. other EVs:

Significantly better charging infrastructure, YMMV based on area/country

Higher performance options (which of course cost more)

And then I guess I'd consider things like tech, the AWD system (it's very slick), it has solid visibility, super comfy seating

I also realize price may be a factor, so it may be completely off the table, I'm not sure how it prices in the real world, in your part of the world vs. all the other options.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Tesla finally releasing their CCS adapter, which will allow Tesla cars with their connector (North America, Japan), to use DC Fast Chargers that are __not__ Tesla Superchargers, which really opens up the charging options for long[er] range driving!

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
So I go away for the weekend and the wife buys this:

View attachment 9002
It's a 2019 Range Rover Sport with 26K miles. It was not a CPO but added the extended LR warranty out to 7/100.

Finally got to pick it up yesterday morning in Chicago and drive it back.

It is a so much nicer vehicle than her LR4 was, to the point she told me she wished she had let me talk her into one 5 years ago when she got her last LR4. She loves Land Rover's, but hates their "new look" of the rears being squashed down. Which is why she just replaced one LR4 with another. But since they are no longer available and hers was nearing the 100K out-of-warranty limit, she had to do something. And this was one of the least squashed.

But it was in great shape and drove like a dream. Which kind of surprised me given it weights several hundred pounds less than her LR4.

The question is how many neighbors will notice given she replaced one Green Land Rover with another green Land Rover. :ROFLMAO:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
British cars are way out of my wheelhouse, but even I know the name Joe Curto :)

Sounds like a good solve!

You might find this kind of fun, National Carburetors is a pretty huge carburetors manufacturer/distributor, HQ'ed right up in Jacksonville, and they also have a restaurant (I think it's the son or grandson of the founder) here in St. Aug, Obi’s Fillin’ Station, it's a burger joint, all car themed:

5d612886515cf.jpg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
BIL came by over the weekend on his way down to NSB, stayed over, we went a solid local place on the ocean for dinner. While he had ridden in a much older Model S, it had been a while, he was pretty blown away by our Model 3, especially after talking to me about the operating/charging logistics/costs/etc.

He kind of didn't realize how good of a fit it is for him, there's these mental gymnastics some people go through trying to figure out how it won't work, he was like, "This makes so much sense, and OMG, it's so fast" :D

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
BIL came by over the weekend on his way down to NSB, stayed over, we went a solid local place on the ocean for dinner. While he had ridden in a much older Model S, it had been a while, he was pretty blown away by our Model 3, especially after talking to me about the operating/charging logistics/costs/etc.

He kind of didn't realize how good of a fit it is for him, there's these mental gymnastics some people go through trying to figure out how it won't work, he was like, "This makes so much sense, and OMG, it's so fast" :D

It is amazing how far people go to justify or use their own situation, brand loyalty, or what they view as being a car enthusiast as a way to talk down to EV vehicles.

On MR the person that shall not be named created a thread for others looking at going EV’s. The anti-EV people seem to come in, spill their agenda, but don't discuss if you counter any of their message. They still come in and chime, " If Toyota hasn't gone EV yet, there is a good reason so I believe EV's are not there yet simply because Toyota hasn't released one". Or when discussing the Prime's limited 3 kwh charger, they try to justify things like, " well I can just use the gas motor to charge to 80% in 40 minutes!" defeating the purpose of EV's. Especially when all I was doing was pointing out the max capability, not attacking the Prius Prime.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
That's not a very redneck vehicle. Y'all must be the Beverly Hillbillies lol

Do y'all have a cement pond too? :D
Massively overpriced gas-guzzling status symbol.... Land Rover is what you get since they don’t make Hummers anymore.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
That's not a very redneck vehicle. Y'all must be the Beverly Hillbillies lol

Do y'all have a cement pond too? :D

Believe it or not, I used to be sort of a yuppie. And once I got my first European vehicle ('84 BMW 325e), I knew I would always have one. And I have owned most brands, BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, Saab (yeah, I know) and Porsche over the past 37 years. The wife added Peugeot to the list when she lived in Africa. Also, it is the wife's. She wanted it and she bought it. She has a good job. :)

Cement pond? Hell no. I am 100% water feature free. Nothing but headaches. ;) I would fill in the pool if I thought I could get away with it.

Massively overpriced gas-guzzling status symbol.... Land Rover is what you get since they don’t make Hummers anymore.

Which is why I only buy them as CPO's. Someone else can take that first depreciation hit. Here is how I look at used vehicles, if they have less mileage than I would have put on them in the same time frame and less "wear and tear" on the paint and the interior in that same period, then I will buy it. So this one had like 4 tiny rock ships and 26K miles since it went in service 2.5 years ago which is about 10K less miles than I would have put on it. So we got it.

Is it a status symbol, sure. Is that a bad thing? Funny thing is my trucks cost more than her luxury vehicles.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I hear they have a lot of problems too.

Hence only own one under a FACTORY warranty, original or extended.

This is our 5th Land Rover, 2 LR3's, 2 LR4's and this RR Sport. The first LR3 (2005) was great, the 2nd (2008) had a grounding issue. The main grounding screw kept backing out, making the connection intermittent. The first LR4(2010) had a couple of issues, they had to replace 2 fuel injectors at 83K miles (only had an 85K warranty on that one, so just under the wire) and then I had to replace a starter at 90K. The 2nd LR4 (2016) was bulletproof. All of them had a similar issue with the sunroof drain getting clogged with pollen and then water would drip inside. Easy fix, but kind of annoying.

So we will see how the new one does. Service records don't show any major repairs.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@quagmire

Yeah, it's another one of those heavily "agendized" things, like it makes all sorts of sense, even if you're not heavily into being "green". But for many people, anything related to climate concern, somehow means: anti-do-what-I-want-at-everyone's-expense (see that Greta thread here for a good example ...), and there's a lot of backwards engineering to attempt to support what is really just an agenda.

Top Bottom
1 2