The Vision Pro

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Like this...?

vision-pro-over-head-strap.jpeg
I
Was wondering where you found that, since it isn't in the WWDC presentation or on Apple's website, and I found your source here at MacRumors:

His findings correspond to what I wrote:

"[The over-the-head strap] is conspicuous only by its absence in Apple's marketing materials. Indeed, Apple has not even mentioned the optional head strap, but some of those who got to try the headset in person in Cupertino this week, such as MacRumors videographer Dan Barbera, did get to use it. 'A lot of people probably didn't know this just by looking at some press images, but there is another band that goes over the top of your head,' said Dan in his initial impressions video. In his opinion, with the additional strap attached, the Vision Pro is 'not that far off from other headsets in terms of weight,' but it does 'a really good job of dispersing that weight' and making it not so front-heavy. 'I do think most people will want to use it,' he added.'"

Apple obviously left it off from their presentations because it looks sleeker without it, and thus makes for better marketing pics.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
One thing perplexes me: I am very nearsighted – the uncorrected sharp-image focal distance for my left eye is about 3 inches, my right eye about 4". This sounds like right about where the image plane would be for these things. Is the corrective lens option for people that would need reading glasses?

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
One thing perplexes me: I am very nearsighted – the uncorrected sharp-image focal distance for my left eye is about 3 inches, my right eye about 4". This sounds like right about where the image plane would be for these things. Is the corrective lens option for people that would need reading glasses?
Yes, apparently they snap in and out magnetically

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
The weird part is you are looking into essentially super high res displays. It should be possible to use the data in a prescription to alter the way the display presents things so you see perfectly (in terms of magnification and the like).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The weird part is you are looking into essentially super high res displays. It should be possible to use the data in a prescription to alter the way the display presents things so you see perfectly (in terms of magnification and the like).
This is what I was thinking, maybe it's a feature they'll be considering at some point. Even with a digital camera you can change the focus through the electronic viewfinder and make it perfectly fit your vision, seems perfectly doable.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I just finished watching a segment of John Gruber interviewing Vision Pro project manager Mike Rockwell and Greg Joswiak. They talked about the underlying tech in the device, various problems that needed to be solved, and expected user experiences using the device - and where it's all going. In a word, fascinating.

For those interested, jump to the 38:30 mark in the video.

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
It definitely can do VR - just use the dial on the vision to totally remove the real world view.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
I want one
This is, ultimately, what matters. I've made it no secret that the Mac is the only Apple product that I own, or really care about, for that matter. Just because I don't have an interest in a device, that doesn't mean that I want it to fail. This seems like an interesting category, it's just not for me. Also, from what I gather, it has certain synergies with the Mac. That means potentially more Macs sold, which is good for the product line that I enjoy using. It's the same reason that I want AppleTV+ and Apple Fitness+ to succeed, even though they are way out of my wheelhouse. There seems to be a mentality, even among Apple fans, to tear down that which we don't personally desire. The fruit company has a broad product portfolio, we all have different use cases, which is fine.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
It definitely can do VR - just use the dial on the vision to totally remove the real world view.

Yeah, I saw the dial. While that might technically be VR, it's not what I'm referring to. That's nothing more than a skybox. You're answering texts or doing a FaceTime call or browsing the web, and you can do it while surrounded by what appears to be Mt Hood for example. But you can't move around Mt Hood and explore. It's just the set dressing.

It's like having a picture of Doom as your desktop wallpaper on your computer. It might look like the game, but it's just a static image. You can't actually play.

This news means you actually could have a game/experience where you are able to move about Mt Hood and explore.

Again, that's not a shock. It would have been shocking had their headset not supported full VR experiences. Regardless, they never actually demoed that. Not that I noticed. So I was happy to have it confirmed.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Just because I don't have an interest in a device, that doesn't mean that I want it to fail.

You nailed it. I don't see myself picking up the Vision Pro. I'm super interested in VR, but my PC/Quest fills that role better for me at this time. So I really want to see them do well and re-define the whole market. But only so I can get a better Quest or whatever. I'm not saying I'll never be interested. I'm also not saying I wouldn't take one for free. But at this point, it holds little interest for me.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Apple has already released a Vision product, multiple of them in fact, back in the 1990s.

850av-front-back.jpg

applevision.jpg

I can't wait for the new LaserWriter, it'll be perfect for the next Xserve.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Apple has already released a Vision product, multiple of them in fact, back in the 1990s.

View attachment 24335

View attachment 24336

I can't wait for the new LaserWriter, it'll be perfect for the next Xserve.

Hah! I vaguely remember that. And the version without the speakers - 20" iirc, using a Sony Trinitron tube. Which I came close to buying. Couldn't afford it, though, leaving my decent paying aerospace engineering job to dabble in being a software developer, releasing one product, zCalc. Was fun while it lasted - which was short. :)

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Doesn’t justify the price, but a possible unique purpose I could see this being good for is cooking, having the typed out recipe to scroll through or cooking video off to one side while you’re cooking. That puts everything in front of you at all times and you don’t have to be constantly washing and drying your hands so you don’t gum up your device screen or cook book. Throw up a movie or other video content when there is a break in the cooking process like waiting for water to boil or having something that needs to be stirred constantly or every couple minutes.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Doesn’t justify the price, but a possible unique purpose I could see this being good for is cooking, having the typed out recipe to scroll through or cooking video off to one side while you’re cooking. That puts everything in front of you at all times and you don’t have to be constantly washing and drying your hands so you don’t gum up your device screen or cook book. Throw up a movie or other video content when there is a break in the cooking process like waiting for water to boil or having something that needs to be stirred constantly or every couple minutes.

I tried to think of possible uses and cooking was the first thing to pop into my head too. Although I'd think you would want to avoid situations where you'd be getting grease splatters on it. I also thought of auto repair, but who would want a headset on in that situation? Maybe to get started, but not when you're under the vehicle. Woodworking on the other hand would be great because you'd already be wearing safety goggles. 😂

ArgoDuck

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Canon
I had prepared a more serious piece than what I eventually posted the other day, in which I reflected on my specific interest in the productivity aspect of Vision Pro. @theorist9 posted good, searching questions about this, which I share. But if Apple has the right answers, I can see this being the tool I’ve always wanted, and did know I needed

In a nutshell it comes down to this: my work flow depends on having many, many windows (academic sources, graphs, statistical results, code) open simultaneously and/or highly accessible. My mental flow works similarly

No desk nor several whiteboards have been enough, and for sure the 2 x 4K and 1 x 5K2K monitors I run on my desk (with liberal use of spaces) are not enough. What happens is a clumsy process that frustrates the flow going on in my head

Many years ago - I’m talking the late 1980s - I figured that long before now we’d talk to our computers and 3D windows would open and close around us, on demand

Suddenly, here it is…if Vision Pro is good enough!

There’s a thoughtful and detailed piece here from one of those who got to try it out. Some of his experience is supported by capabilities demonstrated in developer sessions. One that interested me a lot showed the developer writing with their finger into the Freeform app, and using eye gaze to move to different parts of the canvas where they continued writing

I find that pretty cool…

Top Bottom
1 2