Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sweeping generalization here but I’ve noticed over the years that old people sometimes develop a preoccupation with being ripped off, and I mean it dominates a large part of their brain and conversations.

A friend’s mother in her 80s could not have her car, computer, or anything else serviced without intense suspicion following completion of work. Something always wasn’t right. Awful way to go through life. I hope she doesn’t own a gun.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Sweeping generalization here but I’ve noticed over the years that old people sometimes develop a preoccupation with being ripped off, and I mean it dominates a large part of their brain and conversations.

A friend’s mother in her 80s could not have her car, computer, or anything else serviced without intense suspicion following completion of work. Something always wasn’t right. Awful way to go through life. I hope she doesn’t own a gun.
Combination of three things: as we age our mental faculties degrade which means both that older people are at greater risk of being ripped off/scammed and are also less able to understand what is happening even when the other party is being scrupulously honest. Which makes them suspicious of being ripped off/scammed. A third is that often they are on fixed income/assets, so whatever they have is all they’ll ever get. So if they lose it, they can proportionally lose a lot more. Obviously this is why such a preoccupation might increase overall not how an individual older person might act.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
My wife's uncle who is quite wealthy has been scammed out of well over $100K at this point.

As you noted, mental faculties decline and suspicion rises. But in his case, the suspicion was at the wrong person, his daughter. He simply didn't believer her that he was being ripped off. She had to go to court to get control of his finances and for a couple of years they barely spoke. Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, he has declined mentally to the point he no longer remembers why he was mad at her, so they are getting along fine now.

My mom was wary of people that called (she didn't do internet) which was good. But someone rings the doorbell at 11 at night and she was off like a cheetah to go answer it. SHM

Top Bottom
1 2