US politician visits to Ukraine, WTF?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Now Merrick Garland. All these visits may look like a minor thing in the bigger picture but I find it a grotesque example of how there's a ruling class and then there is the rest of us. It's like you can't have leadership cred if you don't pop by Ukraine, a literal warzone, for a photo op.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I don’t mind certain leaders going to Ukraine (President/PM, Secretary of State/Foreign Minister, Military Officials) to signal support in the face of Russia. But to some extent once we get into senators and those far less connected, it does appear like photo-op diplomacy. While I’m sure these people have the best intentions, there’s a lot of domestic issues they should be dealing with. Not to say one can’t walk and chew gum at the same time, but from an optics standpoint it’s not ideal.

I’m all for supporting Ukraine and holding Russia accountable for war crimes, but I don’t necessarily think Garland needs to go to Ukraine to make that point. A point which has already been made by Biden, Blinken, etc. And let’s be honest, holding Russia accountable for war crimes will be extremely difficult, I’m curious how they intend to this, and I have my doubts it’ll happen in the long run. Some European countries will be more than happy to sweep this under the rug and turn the pipelines back on ASAP.

It’s also worth noting, I can only imagine the American and Ukrainian resources that go into safely transporting high level American officials through a war zone. These could probably be spent in better ways.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
He's there to coordinate with others regarding pursuing war crimes investigations, hopefully leading to charges.

I'm ok with that.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I woke up this morning listening to this 5 minute Garland interview by NPR.

I'm curious, perhaps I'm missing something.

Is there a reason that the United States should not be closely involved and working with other countries with respect to investigating war crimes occurring in Ukraine? I would hate to think that the US as a country would not want to join others in pursuit of justice and sit this out. As an aside, Garland doesn't strike me as a politician.

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Is there a reason that the United States should not be closely involved and working with other countries with respect to investigating war crimes occurring in Ukraine? I would hate to think that the US as a country would not want to join others in pursuit of justice and sit this out.
Maybe feeling like that would open the US war crimes can of worms? They wouldn’t like that. Take the Hague Invasion Act for example…

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Maybe feeling like that would open the US war crimes can of worms? They wouldn’t like that. Take the Hague Invasion Act for example…

Are there US politicians who are saying Garland should not be assisting in the investigation of war crimes in Ukraine?

Top Bottom
1 2