What Movie Are You Watching?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
When Marla started going at people with a baseball bat, it was either eye-rolling-ly silly, or hysterically dark take on the legal system and the predatory nature of lawyers. My "in head" jury is still out ...

Excellent, yeah, Mortal is "free" on Prime, with very solid reviews, might watch this tonight.

We never did get to see Brightburn, it just keeps circulating on the couple of services we don't have (I mean, if it's not on Hulu, Netflix, Prime, HBOMax, Epix, SHO, or one of the dozen or so "medium tier" services we get, I give up ...).

I really liked Brightburn, but waited well after the hype (mostly bad) died down to see it. I thought it was a good blend of superhero and horror, leaning more towards the horror angle which is my preference anyway. I think the poor reviews were from people who expected too much in either direction and didn't get it to their satisfaction.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I love the original Starship Troopers movie. The book did not grab me. The movie has to be regarded as a R rated parody, it is very Paul Verhoeven, the lead actor, Casper Van Dien is terrible, among actors who are talented, and it is really a good example of what influence the director has over actors when urging certain types of performances. The story Is good, the visuals are stunning, so the film is ripe for a remake. The risk for fans of this movie is that there is a certain vibe that will not survive into a remake and rightfully so, however, will the new product be appealing? :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I love the original Starship Troopers movie. The book did not grab me. The movie has to be regarded as a R rated parody, it is very Paul Verhoeven, the lead actor, Casper Van Dien is terrible, among actors who are talented, and it is really a good example of what influence the director has over actors when urging certain types of performances. The story Is good, the visuals are stunning, so the film is ripe for a remake. The risk for fans of this movie is that there is a certain vibe that will not survive into a remake and rightfully so, however, will the new product be appealing? :)

Yep. Verhoeven's movie, without question, is meant to be satire. I mean, the original novel you could do a really broad reading and __maybe__ read in some of the same, but given the who/where/when the original novel was written, it's got some pretty, non-ironic fascist ideals.

BTW, when this movie was first released with the trailer above, it did OK, but they re-released a version of the trailer, but the only change being they used Blur's Song 2, and the movie has a notable uptick in revenue!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
FWIW, I have a mint copy of the Avalon Hill Starship Troopers board game!

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yep. Verhoeven's movie, without question, is meant to be satire. I mean, the original novel you could do a really broad reading and __maybe__ read in some of the same, but given the who/where/when the original novel was written, it's got some pretty, non-ironic fascist ideals.

BTW, when this movie was first released with the trailer above, it did OK, but they re-released a version of the trailer, but the only change being they used Blur's Song 2, and the movie has a notable uptick in revenue!

That’s good! :)

My wife started watching Titanic 2 on Vudu, boy that looked sucky, a cross between Titanic and Poseidon Adventure. How do movies like this get made?

The War With Grandpa (2020)- Besides the fun of seeing Robert Dinero, Christopher Walken, Cheech Marin, and Jane Seymore, playing old geezers, regular people, not much to see here.

D69995E8-DE6B-4911-BA7A-A2E7A83F5CDC.jpeg

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
We just happened to pull up the free movies (with commercials) at Vudu, streaming service. We don’t usually watch voluntarily any movie with commercials but this list reinforced that position. ;) Is this the place were aweful movies come to eek out some revenue via commercials? 😆
  • Boobs (as in female breasts, close up of 2 breasts in a US flag motif bra).
  • Baby Sitters (with a picture of a female, torso taking her shirt off).
  • Dirty Teachers (A waist down shot of a woman in a dress standing with her legs spread).
  • Troll Hunter
  • Ogre

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Troll Hunter is __fantastic__. No /s, seriously, it's terrific, very well done "mockumentary". I don't know about with ads (in general for that matter ...).

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Finished watching "The Banker" today after starting it last night. It was so-so. Cliched, movie-by-numbers for first half. A bit better for the last hour or so. I originally thought I'd never watch it due to the controversy that scuttled it's premiere at the AFI Fest end of 2019.

Just proves my point that so many "inspired by" or "based on a true story" films are garbage when made up plot lines become the bulk of the story. In this case, "The Banker" was extremely egregious.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
🤔 Troll Hunter is __fantastic__. No /s, seriously, it's terrific, very well done "mockumentary". I don't know about with ads (in general for that matter ...).
After being primed by the first 3 listed, it seemed based on the title image it was just another loser.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
FB5382C1-AA71-4B9E-82A4-4EC98E4C3D11.jpeg

“Dick Tracy” (HBO Max) is an underrated film that is remembered (if it’s remembered at all) for its star-studded cast (in some pretty grotesque makeup) and it’s bright, comic book colors.

How can you not like a film that has Warren Beatty perfectly cast as Tracy, Al Pacino shamelessly overacting as mob boss Big Boy, Dustin Hoffmann as the aptly named Mumbles, and Madonna vamping it up as Breathless Mahoney?

The songs—by Stephen Sondheim, no less—are bright and bouncy, especially “Back in Business”, which plays over a crime montage, and “More”, an ode to piggish greed that actually manages to get funnier each time you hear it, including a hilarious punchline.

🍿🍿🍿

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Total Recall (1990)- 78% Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score. I really like the vibe. Another movie based on an excellent Phillip Dick story. No Pyramid Mine in the book though as I recall. :)

83EA8AA9-F19B-4265-A110-DFB5C0B1A889.jpeg

Last edited:
U

User.45

Total Recall (1990)- 78% Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score. I really like the vibe. Another movie based on an excellent Phillip Dick story.
I think besides Blade Runner it was the only great PKD adaptation. I too like the vibe a lot. It's also set in the same universe as BR, you can see the ads for Off World exploration in BR, and the Nexus replicants are designed for the off world.

I still chuckle when I remember the three boobed alien:D

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I think besides Blade Runner it was the only great PKD adaptation. I too like the vibe a lot. It's also set in the same universe as BR, you can see the ads for Off World exploration in BR, and the Nexus replicants are designed for the off world.

I still chuckle when I remember the three boobed alien:D
The faces made by Arnold in that movie…. how does he do it?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Was going to watch the well reviewed Raya and the Last Dragon on Disney+. Until I clicked on it and you have to pay $30...on top of having a Disney+ subscription. 😡

Top Bottom
1 2