What Movie Are You Watching?

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
My wife got us National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. I know many people love it. I walked away.
I’m probably closer to you about that movie. I consider it an inoffensive time-filler, not the laugh riot many make it out to be.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Finished The World Is Not Enough. Pierce Brosnan is cool, the hotties are hot, actually, fairly stellar cast: Judie Dench, Hagrid, Rumplestiltskin, Sir Lancelot, etc.

My wife got us National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. I know many people love it. I walked away.
Shame on you! I like both the original and Christmas Vacation. :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Tossed it on last night after we got home :D

We generally get 10-12 viewings in over the Xmas season ... :cool:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
1639325863314.png

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Watched Power of the Dog and upon reflection decided I like it. It’s slow, but I wouldn’t say boring. It’s like 2+ hours of tension, people being polite (most of the time) but having some major grievance bubbling just below the surface. I think it would fit well in the There Will Be Blood universe.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Watched Power of the Dog and upon reflection decided I like it. It’s slow, but I wouldn’t say boring. It’s like 2+ hours of tension, people being polite (most of the time) but having some major grievance bubbling just below the surface. I think it would fit well in the There Will Be Blood universe.

Holy hell, the score is stellar, I love how it sort of moves from the background into this kind of ominous presence in the foreground. It's was composed/produced by Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead fame.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
And that's what makes them so good! :D

Unpopular opinion time: Vacation is better than Christmas Vacation.

Honestly, I agree.

Vacation is the better pure comedy, it's a little more raw, it's a touch darker - it's actually rated R. Christmas Vacation leans more into the John Hughes sentimental vibe, it's got some of the same silliness for sure, but it's way more light hearted (and rated PG-13).

Funny enough, Christmas Vacation is actually the 3rd Vacation film, I even forget this, European Vacation was 2nd (which is pretty fun, has a couple of really great moments).

If you're a fan of the 1st movie, definitely watch the 2015 sequel, Vacation, with Ed Helms as a grown up Rusty (Christina Applegate as his wife, Debbie).

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Not a fan of the allegedly hilarious or cute Christmas movies... I have a particular aversion to Polar Express because how I even knew that film existed was when a loaned-out spare laptop (an old white polycarbonate iBook) was returned to me in January once with a DVD of said flick jammed in the optical drive.

"So sorry," the young borrower said ruefully.... "I tried everything you could imagine to get the disc out."

Ugh. That immediately became clear to the tech who eventually replaced the drive for me. "An emery board was in there too," he reported.

Top Bottom
1 2