2021 NFL Season

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
D9EFC3F5-E36F-4CC2-A888-0CABC151061F.jpeg

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Congrats to you, Matt, for having Buffalo in the playoffs.

I’m still dumbfounded at how this turned out for the AFC North. Cleveland and Baltimore are eliminated 😳, while Cincinnati and Pittsburgh…Pittsburgh…are in.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Holy shit!

So the Steelers chance for a playoff spot was like 8%, they had to beat the Ravens (they did), the 2-14 Jags had to beat the 9-7 Colts (who were in it for a playoff spot), and somehow __did__.

Then the only other outcome for them to make the playoffs was for the Chargers/Raiders game not to end in a tie, and it ALMOST did! Hahaha, the wife and I were like, wait, the Jags actually won and someone this game is going to end in a fucking tie?

Wow, this could be an epic finish to Roethlisberger's career.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
And the firing season has begun.

Aside from the Jaguars firing Urban, the season is heating up. Yesterday the Bronco's fired Fangio and today the Vikings let Zimmer and GM Spielman go. I expect the Bears Nagy will be next and maybe the GM.

As for the Jags, they are going to interview Byron Leftwich. He has done a great job as OC at both Arizona and won a SB in Tampa. Watched him play in college and hope he gets the job if that is what he wants. But Jacksonville is a dumpster fire so hopefully if he does take it he can make them better and get out of there before they destroy his career.

Edit: Just popped up that the Dolphins fired Brian Flores. Did not see this one coming. He just gave them back to back winning seasons for the first time in almost 20 years. Definitely surprised.

Edit 2: Nagy and GM Pace are out. Michael Wilbon will be so happy.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
As for the Jags, they are going to interview Byron Leftwich. He has done a great job as OC at both Arizona and won a SB in Tampa. Watched him play in college and hope he gets the job if that is what he wants. But Jacksonville is a dumpster fire so hopefully if he does take it he can make them better and get out of there before they destroy his career.

Leftwich would be a superb hire.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
How come this time around nobody’s talking to Eric Bienemy?

That is a great question. He has as many SB rings as Leftwich (at least as OC, Leftwich has 1 as a player). Every year his name gets mentioned, but he never seems to get the job.

Does he not interview well? I have no idea. You would think the Reid coaching tree would help him, but so far it hasn't.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Another question is whether Jim Harbaugh will return to the NFL. He got the OSU monkey off his back and made the playoffs. So he can leave with a somewhat clear conscience.

Would he go to Chicago, the team that drafted him? He did take SF to a Superbowl that they probably should have won.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
How come this time around nobody’s talking to Eric Bienemy?
This is the NFL we’re talking about... we know the real reason.

As for “Does he not interview well?"

Now look at the NFL’s all-too-typical hiring cycle (like this one). Young white coaches and executives with outstanding hair leap to the top of the list. Candidates of color tend to bottleneck at defensive coordinator or as the majordomos to offensive masterminds: the NFL’s version of the “acceptable” tough-talking buddy-cop sidekick.

We inevitably hear through the grapevine that some up-and-comer “blew away the interview” while someone else who has been waiting years for a promotion “interviewed poorly.” Think about what those phrases mean. What does it mean to be exactly who the owner was looking for?

More reading material:

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1480173727795097600/

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
So here are my SB predictions.

The NFC is easy. Packers. The road goes through GB, so I think they make it. TB is good, but not as good. The Cardinals and Cowboys, well who knows.

The AFC is much more difficult. At this point I am going with the Titans over the Bills. It really is a choice between 1 and 1A. But the Titans get the nod for 2 reasons: 1) They have home field. Less about them being at home and more about not going to Buffalo in January, and 2) They are getting Derrick Henry back. The Chiefs are too inconsistent and they could either make the AFC Championship or lose to Pittsburgh this weekend.

So there it is: Packers vs Titans.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Monday playoff game seems odd.

Very. They had to accommodate for 2 extra games. I figured they would do 1, 4:30, 8:15 both Saturday and Sunday. But they did Monday night instead of Saturday at 1. Just hope they do consider it and don't make the Cards/Rams winner play again on Saturday.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
That sounds right from what I've seen. I hear sportscasters talk up these black coaching candidates all the time, but what happens is, they get flown across the country to talk with teams in order to satisfy the "Rooney Rule", and that's the last we hear of it.

In other words, they are the token black guy interview. How degrading.

Top Bottom
1 2