A smart toaster - where do we draw the line?

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I would never buy a toaster, toothbrush, or almost any other single-purpose appliance with a touchscreen.

But we have a countertop oven that has a touchscreen interface, stores cooking instructions, and recognizes food. The camera lets you keep an eye on things with a mobile app, which also lets you tweak the cook time as needed.

We routinely use it for everything from chicken to veggies to bagels. Toasting results are more consistent than with our conventional toaster.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Is this one of those dumb Silicon Valley "unicorns" that everyone gets excited about until they realize a regular toaster works just as well, so the company goes bankrupt?

Remember Juicero? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juicero

Per the article: "...that used proprietary, single-serving packets of pre-chopped fruits and vegetables that were sold exclusively by the company by subscription."

I'd say that more than anything is what killed Juicero. What's the point of buying a juicer that can only juice premade packages? May as well go to the store and buy a V8, saving yourself hundreds of dollars, and one unnecessary step.

LIVEFRMNYC

Power User
Reaction score
This is the best toaster I've ever used. Cost me $35. :)

71h7xEtlT2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Futurama has this one covered. Blah can't find an embeddable one..

As long as the toaster does not feel love or begin to resemble a racoon, you have not gone too far.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We have this one, this is our actual order, note the date, and it's still sitting on the counter working great:

1661004150910.png

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That's my only regret, not getting a 4 slot toaster.

Yeah, we don't eat much toast and there's only three of us, but when we have guests, we tend to really breakfast things up :D, so having the extra capacity is super helpful.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Anyone else think that a touch screen so close to heating elements isn't a good design? Seems like that screen will have a lot of failures.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, I love me some r/ProgrammerHumor ...

The Seinfelds are terrific :D

Yes, I'm taking this car on a detour ...

Top Bottom
1 2