Alabama bill would make drunk drivers pay child support

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
hard to believe this state has done coming so good.
A newly introduced bill in the Alabama legislature would require drunk drivers to pay child support if a parent or guardian is killed in a wreck.

House Bill 114, officially known as the DUI and Child Compensation and Recovery Act, is sponsored by Rep. Proncey Robertson, a Republican representing Franklin, Lawrence, Morgan and Winston counties. It “would require an individual who is convicted of drunk driving while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance to pay child support for a child of a victim of the offense if the offense leads to the death of a parent or guardian of the child.”

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
This is stupid. Put the person in prison if they killed someone while driving drunk and call it a day.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
This may require them to also raise the prison labor rate slightly above $0.05 per hour. That’s kind of a dilemma there.

Also once released will they get thrown back in prison for being delinquent on their victim child support payments?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
but that does not usually happen with drunken driving.

I was under the impression that it does. I know somebody who got 10 years in jail because they were drunk driving on a motorcycle and their passenger got killed in an accident.

I know this probably differs from state to state, but in CA even if you just injure yourself in a drunk driving accident it is considered a felony. You're both the perpetrator and the victim. I don't know about jail time on that one, but starting from that comparative low bar I would think you couldn't avoid jail time if you actually killed somebody. Well, except for the always exemption when you are rich.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
but that does not usually happen with drunken driving.
I was under the impression that it does. I know somebody who got 10 years in jail because they were drunk driving on a motorcycle and their passenger got killed in an accident.

I know this probably differs from state to state, but in CA even if you just injure yourself in a drunk driving accident it is considered a felony. You're both the perpetrator and the victim. I don't know about jail time on that one, but starting from that comparative low bar I would think you couldn't avoid jail time if you actually killed somebody. Well, except for the always exemption when you are rich.

Back when MADD and SADD were big there was a push for mandatory minimums for jail and license suspension. So to get around these, Prosecutors would plea them down to reckless driving etc. So when this person did it again, it was a First Offense all over again instead of them having to spend 30 days in jail they get to plea it out all over again.
:mad:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Back when MADD and SADD were big there was a push for mandatory minimums for jail and license suspension. So to get around these, Prosecutors would plea them down to reckless driving etc. So when this person did it again, it was a First Offense all over again instead of them having to spend 30 days in jail they get to plea it out all over again.
:mad:

The MADD founder actually became a lobbyist for the liquor industry. So there's that. Kyrsten Sinema probably considers her one of her heroes and career path inspirations.

Top Bottom
1 2