Amazon worker in Kentucky can't get to work because of closed roads from tornado damage. Amazon HR, "We have no record of tornadoes and you're out of

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

got to love amazon they care so much about their employees.​

Amazon HR Tells Kentucky Worker She Can't Be Late For Shift After Finding 'No Record' Of Tornadoes​

Amazon are a horrible company.

Yes, I grant that they can be very convenient, but, I deeply dislike them, and - if at all possible - refrain from using them.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Amazon are a horrible company.

Yes, I grant that they can be very convenient, but, I deeply dislike them, and - if at all possible - refrain from using them.

I killed my Prime membership, which I used mostly to order staple household items after I quit driving. I don't miss it. The annual membership just about covered a year of HBO Max instead.

The combo of poorly paid workers and shoddy algorithms has taken a big toll on Amazon. They need to take a breath and get back to days of having been a hungry company. Even the mighty can fall. Just ask the likes of Eastman Kodak.

Shrug... meanwhile all to the benefit of local supermarkets as far as I'm concerned. Instacart brought their game up to speed hereabouts.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of years ago when I was an undergrad. We had a hurricane and I was taking an online summer course. The professor was based in Lubbock, TX far away from the coast and had no idea we had a hurricane. And when students were emailing about the hurricane and if our final would be pushed back because a lot of people didn't have power he didn't care lol. I was just a poor college student without a lot of options. I ended up taking my final at a gym my friend worked at because they had power LOL

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
However, the depressing fact that they think that they will get away with this total travesty of an excuse is very telling of the true state of (disgracefully unbalanced) power between what used to be referred to as 'labour' and 'capital' in the US at the moment.

While it is disgusting, and Dickensian, and utterly outrageous, it is also something that should not be happening - should not be allowed to happen, it should not be possible for this to happen - in a modern, western, supposedly First World, country.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
FWIW, after she Tweeted at Dave Clark (Amazon CEO), he responded, and she was finally contacted by an HR rep who got her paid for the 11 hours she missed.

Clearly it should've have come to that. [edit for typo]

However, this is a problem that's far bigger than Amazon, that goes back decades, it's about labor law, unionization policies, it's about minimum wages. I mean, this was obviously a terrible situation, but so is the locally owned restaurant paying their service staff sub-minimum. Amazon isn't the problem, they're just the most visible example of it. The labor system in the US is broken.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
FWIW, after she Tweeted at Dave Clark (Amazon CEO), he responded, and she was finally contacted by an HR rep who got her paid for the 11 hours she missed.

Clearly it should've have come to that. [edit for typo]

However, this is a problem that's far bigger than Amazon, that goes back decades, it's about labor law, unionization policies, it's about minimum wages. I mean, this was obviously a terrible situation, but so is the locally owned restaurant paying their service staff sub-minimum. Amazon isn't the problem, they're just the most visible example of it. The labor system in the US is broken.
The courts have taken over and systematically shut down unions. The GOP is united against unions, blocking any legislative reforms to labor law. If you look at the Supreme Court’s decisions in the last couple decades, they support corporations over people… pretty much every single time.

This can be fixed a couple ways.

1. Even if the government does things to make it harder for unions, workers can still work together and overcome those challenges. It’s up to the workers in the end. But it is very hard, especially with the popularity of the GOP among many people in jobs who would have been 100% union supporters 50 years ago. Not to mention all the laws making it nigh-impossible to organize labor today.

2. Congress could change labor laws to make organizing easier, and reverse bad SCOTUS decisions like letting workers avoid paying dues, preventing union recruiting in the workplace, etc, etc.

I think number 1 is more likely because our political system is broken. People need to join together and rise up against corporations without waiting for the politicians.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
  • Amazon is a one of a kind killer business idea. Not an original idea, but they virtually stand alone in the modern market place executing this model.
  • The level of convenience and inventory has transformed not only the market place, but both my wife’s and my buying habits. Convenience can’t be overstated. Why spend several hours in your car shopping looking at limited choices, and frequently not finding what you want, having to settle, when you can have practically unlimited choice, competition, and reasonable pricing.
  • Amazon badly needs real competition. The competition seems to be scrambling, but unable to compete.
  • With all that success, they or govt should enable their workers via unions, the engine that makes the company function.
  • States should not be giving them undo tax breaks.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
  • Amazon is a one of a kind killer business idea. Not an original idea, but they virtually stand alone in the modern market place executing this model.
  • The level of convenience and inventory has transformed not only the market place, but both my wife’s and my buying habits. Convenience can’t be overstated. Why spend several hours in your car shopping looking at limited choices, and frequently not finding what you want, having to settle, when you can have practically unlimited choice, competition, and reasonable pricing.
  • Amazon badly needs real competition. The competition seems to be scrambling, but unable to compete.
  • With all that success, they or govt should enable their workers via unions, the engine that makes the company function.
  • States should not be giving them undo tax breaks.
Amazon engages in MANY anti-competitive practices.

But they get fines that cost less than launching Michael Strahan into space, so they just laugh.

Fine them a trillion dollars next time. That should take them a few years to earn at least.

They need to break Amazon up.

And convenience is overrated. What do we do with the time we supposedly save? Watch more TV? Nobody NEEDS stuff delivered to them in 4 hours by a drone.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Amazon engages in MANY anti-competitive practices.

But they get fines that cost less than launching Michael Strahan into space, so they just laugh.

Fine them a trillion dollars next time. That should take them a few years to earn at least.

They need to break Amazon up.

And convenience is overrated. What do we do with the time we supposedly save? Watch more TV? Nobody NEEDS stuff delivered to them in 4 hours by a drone.

I agree, they must be brought under control, but the basic business model based on convenience should survive. It works, not only works, but is the future. Real fines, stop anti-competitiveness, worker rights, yes to all.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I agree, they must be brought under control, but the basic business model based on convenience should survive. It works, not only works, but is the future. Real fines, stop anti-competitiveness, worker rights, yes to all.
I disagree that we need ubiquitous convenience... Unless we want this as our future. The model itself is part of the problem. Getting cheap goods to you in 4 hours while making a profit requires a lot of people to get the shaft.

1493134203-wall-e-lazy-humans.jpg

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

And I wonder why. Former retailers who are either no longer with us or soon to be no longer with us had the resources to compete back when Amazon was getting started. No idea why they didn't.

For me it isn't so much about the delivery times as it is they already have all my information. Simply click and it's on its way. No need to enter it all again.

That said, I will use other vendors if they accept Paypal so again, I don't have to type in all my info.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
That said, I will use other vendors if they accept Paypal so again, I don't have to type in all my info.
IIUC, paypal is how Elon Musk made enough bucks to scoop up Tesla. It seems like there is way too much money to be made in moving money around, which leaves us with billionaires who think that being wealthy somehow makes them smarter/wiser than those of us who are not. For your reference, money trading is what made George Soros rich.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
And I wonder why. Former retailers who are either no longer with us or soon to be no longer with us had the resources to compete back when Amazon was getting started. No idea why they didn't.

For me it isn't so much about the delivery times as it is they already have all my information. Simply click and it's on its way. No need to enter it all again.

Drive around town for an hour or two and look at a paltry selection, very possible not find what you want, or do a search on Amazon and chose from hundreds of competing products that you can get in a day or two. There has to be competition for Amazon to be threatened.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I disagree that we need ubiquitous convenience... Unless we want this as our future. The model itself is part of the problem. Getting cheap goods to you in 4 hours while making a profit requires a lot of people to get the shaft.

1493134203-wall-e-lazy-humans.jpg
Lol, shopping, ie driving to the mall is not enough to guarantee a healthy life style. :)

The convenience I‘m referencing is:
  • finding what you actually want.
  • frequently at a reduced price.
  • free shipping* and returns, and in many cases no questions asked returns.
  • get it in a day or 2.
* Yes, there Is an annual fee for free shipping unless you accrue enough to meet the minimum. Last I heard that was $35 in goods.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
However, the depressing fact that they think that they will get away with this total travesty of an excuse is very telling of the true state of (disgracefully unbalanced) power between what used to be referred to as 'labour' and 'capital' in the US at the moment.

While it is disgusting, and Dickensian, and utterly outrageous, it is also something that should not be happening - should not be allowed to happen, it should not be possible for this to happen - in a modern, western, supposedly First World, country.
That's one reason I strongly support unionization for Amazon and other workers. The vote to go ahead with a union at an Amazon facility in Alabama was sabotaged by the company — it's my understanding it will be repeated.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
That's one reason I strongly support unionization for Amazon and other workers. The vote to go ahead with a union at an Amazon facility in Alabama was sabotaged by the company — it's my understanding it will be repeated.

Absolutely agree - I strongly support this, also - about how necessary it is for workers to be able to join unions, for unions to be able to represent their interests, and for this right to be accepted, and legally acknowledged and recognised by both employers (management) and the government.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2