RIP Angela Lansbury

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Where was Hillary Clinton when she died?

It's what I do.
Sigh.

Seriously, is this yet another example of that famously unfunny "American wit" that I just don't get?

Here is an example of European "wit" - if "wit" is deemed an expression of precision and insight expressed with devastating and succinct conviction: Nobody I have worked with on any recent international election observation mission has desired an American partner.

And quite apart from that....

A little over a week ago, driving through sheer (and amazing) mountains in a region of central Bosnia, while admiring the (seriously stunning) transforming colors of the leaves on the trees in those mountains (they were spectacular), we commented on the concept of "the Fall" in the US, and the astonishing colors of the New England autumn (which I have only ever seen in images....)

And speculated, with cackling derision, - all four of us, my Muslim driver, my Croat interpreter, my Austrian partner, and I - how, with the advent of global warming, the legendary colors of the leaves in the autumn (the Fall) in New England might yet be less legendary in the fearsome furnace of the future.

We all laughed so hard, and so helplessly, that we were almost in danger of losing control (of the Volvo car) on the stunning, yet sheer, twisting, winding, mountain bends.

And I said (to the others, the interpreter translating for the driver) that I will write about this, (on a few US owned sites that I occasionally inhabit, infest, haunt, such as this),....about how we laughed so hard, and how not one American (not even the liberals) will understand the derisive contempt (and yes, I know Mr Biden - an ethical, moral and decent man - is President - I would have voted proudly and happily for him, his VP, his program, if I held US citizenship) with which the US is viewed in parts of the (liberal, democratic) world.

This is because we know - deep down - that your attachment to democracy and transparency, to human rights, civil rights and ethnic rights, labour rights and women's rights - and values of oversight and the integrity of the political (democratic and electoral) process are all depressingly and distressingly and disturbingly conditional.

Last edited:

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Sigh.

Seriously, is this yet another example of that famously unfunny "American wit" that I just don't get?

Here is an example of European "wit" - if "wit" is deemed an expression of precision and insight expressed with devastating and succinct conviction: Nobody I have worked with on any recent international election observation mission has desired an American partner.

And quite apart from that....

A little over a week ago, driving through sheer (and amazing) mountains in a region of central Bosnia, while admiring the (seriously stunning) transforming colors of the leaves on the trees in those mountains (they were spectacular), we commented on the concept of "the Fall" in the US, and the astonishing colors of the New England autumn (which I have only ever seen in images....)

And speculated, with cackling derision, - all four of us, my Muslim driver, my Croat interpreter, my Austrian partner, and I - how, with the advent of global warming, the legendary colors of the leaves in the autumn (the Fall) in New England might yet be less legendary in the fearsome furnace of the future.

We all laughed so hard, and so helplessly, that we were almost in danger of losing control (of the Volvo car) on the stunning, yet sheer, twisting, winding, mountain bends.

And I said (to the others, the interpreter translating for the driver) that I will write about this, (on a few US owned sites that I occasionally inhabit, infest, haunt),....about how we laughed so hard, and how not one American (not even the liberals) will understand the derisive contempt (and yes, I know Mr Biden - an ethical, moral and decent man - is President - I would have voted proudly and happily for him, his VP, his program, if I held US citizenship) with which the US is viewed in parts of the (liberal, democratic) world.

This is because we know - deep down - that your attachment to democracy and transparency, to human rights, civil rights and ethnic rights, labour rights and women's rights - and values of oversight and the integrity of the political (democratic and electoral) process are all depressingly and distressingly and disturbingly conditional.
I'm sadly aware of the attitude of many others toward the United States, particularly given the events of the past six years, as are many other Americans, I'm sure. However, I don't believe it's fair to paint us all with the same broad brush. There are tens of millions of us who are highly committed to democracy, rights, and the rule of law. In fact, I believe we make up the majority of U.S. citizens. Unfortunately, we are in imminent danger of becoming subjected to minority rule by a faction for whom remaining in power and enriching themselves and their patrons is the only mission.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I'm sadly aware of the attitude of many others toward the United States, particularly given the events of the past six years, as are many other Americans, I'm sure. However, I don't believe it's fair to paint us all with the same broad brush. There are tens of millions of us who are highly committed to democracy, rights, and the rule of law. In fact, I believe we make up the majority of U.S. citizens. Unfortunately, we are in imminent danger of becoming subjected to minority rule by a faction for whom remaining in power and enriching themselves and their patrons is the only mission.
Okay: That is a fair comment.

Even in the world of election observation missions, there was an extraordinary improvement in the quality - and qualifications - (not to mention "attitude" - these were people who acknowledged that they knew little about some stuff, and were prepared to accept instruction, advice and guidance) of the US observers sent on EOMs (Election Observation Missions - the fact that they are IEOMs - International Election Observation Missions is usually not especially highlighted), once President Obama was elected to office.

Top Bottom
1 2