Any Unreal Engine Experts Here?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I finially got tired of this excellent artist tell his audience "this is just basic stuff" LOL. :p
Anyway I realized there is some post processing stuff I need to learn big time and he really gets into making the scene have a lot of depth, but I got tired or adding assets. No there are no ferns in my scene. ;)

The Post Processing settings requires a real tutorial, there is so much control over atmosphere in those settings and I consider it to be a brilliant capability in Unreal Engine as I imagine my Uncle an artist, hand painting a scene like below.

Anyway I think this is slighty better than what I posted before added some volumetric fog.

Forest Road6.PNG

Now I' might go back and finish the Intro to UE Tutorial, which is good first exposure, while realizing it's all in my notes, a couple days after watching stuff like this, most of it won't be in my memory.That's why I take notes. :p

There is a step I'm missing where I either turn this into a game, or some kind of final product so I can dump the project which is 14GB of background stuff, a lot of it is not necessarily used in the final product. This is why I'll probably go back and finish the UE Intro Tutorial which is quite lengthy.

And I still plan on jumping into low poly modeling.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Damn, that's nice looking! The only thing I'd add are some scrubby low lying bushes break things up, make it look a little less like a tended forest. Other than that, awesome job!

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Damn, that's nice looking! The only thing I'd add are some scrubby low lying bushes break things up, make it look a little less like a tended forest. Other than that, awesome job!
Yeah you can see the area on the right next to the road that should be filled with grasses, a break so you can’t see just the green texture of the woods. I might fill that in.

That’s exactly what he did, but as I said, I had added enough stuff to get the idea and I had been playing with this for over a month. Then he started adding ferns, and little sticks, little rocks.etc, His finished scene looks amazing. But he goes though his settings so quickly like post processing, I decided enough was enough, this was a learning exercise for me. Yes, I am inspired, but time to move on. :)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I finished up the UE Intro Tutorial, it was long, many chapters, tonight a lot of info on post processing and reflections, however they did not cover turning a project into an executable. Maybe you don't learn that in the Into, :unsure: any way there are a lot of tutorials there and I see one on a simple water project. I tried to download the project from the marketplace, but it has yet to show up. Maybe by tomorrow.

My impression is that UE is not the best place for modeling, a combination of modeling in Blender and moving it over to UE, so while I want to do those low poly tutorials for Blender, the best would be a tutorial which has you model in Blender and move it over to UE as a project to be put together as a project. I'll go back and see if this low poly tutorials had something like this and search online.

Renzatic

Reaction score
You already have a good idea of how to send things from Blender to UE, then place them in a scene, so the major point should be learning modeling in Blender.

The end result in UE is simply something like this...

Renzatic

Reaction score
Here's the start of a 6 part tutorial that do a nice job of covering the basics, and teach you how to build a neat scene.

Renzatic

Reaction score
You know what? This has kinda inspired me a bit. I haven't done a low poly landscape in awhile, so now I wanna do one.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
No! You work now!
I forgot to ask what are you going to do low poly? Hey, make a tutorial and I’ll follow along! ;) just kidding.

So I’m thinking I should include modeling in Blender and take the time to plunk it into UE. Yes, I plan on making a complete scene in Blender, but taking the extra step to see what happens when I move it over, especially if I end up doing anything other than flat terrain. There seems to be more than just plunking when making this change over.

Renzatic

Reaction score
So I’m thinking I should include modeling in Blender and take the time to plunk it into UE. Yes, I plan on making a complete scene in Blender, but taking the extra step to see what happens when I move it over, especially if I end up doing anything other than flat terrain. There seems to be more than just plunking when making this change over.

You don't want to make your whole scene in Blender, then try to port it over all at once. All that'll do is give you a big headache. You still want to do everything one at a time in Blender, then mix them together in Unreal.

This tutorial is fairly decent for explaining the process. Though I'd ignore his UVing advice, since A. you won't need to UV unwrap if you're dealing with low poly work, and B. it's a janky UV unwrap.

Though if you do want to get fancy with Blender specifically, but not be totally overwhelmed...

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
You don't want to make your whole scene in Blender, then try to port it over all at once. All that'll do is give you a big headache. You still want to do everything one at a time in Blender, then mix them together in Unreal.

This tutorial is fairly decent for explaining the process. Though I'd ignore his UVing advice, since A. you won't need to UV unwrap if you're dealing with low poly work, and B. it's a janky UV unwrap.

Though if you do want to get fancy with Blender specifically, but not be totally overwhelmed...

Thanks for the advice! I plan on getting to work maybe Friday. Now I have a very specific idea for a project to be completed in UE, so as I do blender tutorials, while keeping in mind the project I want to accomplish, as I learn things, I’ll probably put this setting together in Blender and see what complications arise when I move stuff over to UE.

One big issue in my mind is setting up my sandbox, the space/ terrain that defines the project boundaries a setting, in the woods, with a pool, boulders, multiple levels, waterfall, moving water, a cliff, a cave, and surrounding the scene to keep the player in this space while keeping it looking natural. These are things in blender I would want to model.

The ground it all sits on might be a little mind boggling. From my limited exposure to creating terrain in UE with the terrain tool, it seems a bit clutzy, yes you can sculpt large hills, but I’m not sure how good it would be for creating a specific landscape/layout for this project, probably not all that good. So in blender this becones a big question, make the ground mesh in blender and export to UE, complicated by inserting a cliff, multiple horizontal levels, an interior space for the cave, indentation for a pool and flowing water all put together the way I want it.🤯

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's good, because you don't have to worry about textures, shading, UVs, or anything of the more complicated bits and pieces. All you're dealing with are colors, shapes, and lighting. It lets you build up your foundational modeling skills, giving you quicker feedback without having to get bogged down in the minutiae.

LOl, and I thought this link was a tutorial... 😝

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Renzatic I'm working on the Blender tutorial and trying to get snapping to work. At one point I remember it working, but nowI have a situation where snapping is set to vertices, but when I drag one cube into the other (snapping turned off, using Ctrl to trigger it) when it hits the point where is should snap vertice to vertice, instead of a straight forward snap together staying in alignment, the cube I am dragging rotates at an out of alignment orientation, the two vertices snap together, but the cube is not now a rectangle, it's some multifaceted object because of the rotation. Any ideas what could trigger this? Thanks.

Ok, I started a new Blender file, and that seems to go away, but I've also noticed that when I used Shift D to create a duplicate cube and then GX to drag it along the X Axis, sometimes when I try to bring the 2 objects back together to snap, they end up snapping overlapped. I've looked up some answers online, but have not found the answer to why both of these happen. If I have vertices snap active or activate it using control, shouldn't they snap at the outer most vertices and not overlap?

Last edited:

Renzatic

Reaction score
@Renzatic I'm working on the Blender tutorial and trying to get snapping to work. At one point I remember it working, but nowI have a situation where snapping is set to vertices, but when I drag one cube into the other (snapping turned off, using Ctrl to trigger it) when it hits the point where is should snap vertice to vertice, instead of a straight forward snap together staying in alignment, the cube I am dragging rotates at an out of alignment orientation, the two vertices snap together, but the cube is not now a rectangle, it's some multifaceted object because of the rotation. Any ideas what could trigger this? Thanks.

I tried a number of different things to see if I could get vertex snapping to weird out like that, but couldn't cause it to act out of character. See if you can provide a screenshot, so I can see exactly what it's doing.

Ok, I started a new Blender file, and that seems to go away, but I've also noticed that when I used Shift D to create a duplicate cube and then GX to drag it along the X Axis, sometimes when I try to bring the 2 objects back together to snap, they end up snapping overlapped. I've looked up some answers online, but have not found the answer to why both of these happen. If I have vertices snap active or activate it using control, shouldn't they snap at the outer most vertices and not overlap?

Ditto on the above. Though one nice thing to keep in mind is that snap verts will snap the verts according to which verts are nearest to your mouse cursor, not which verts are closest to each other.

....though why are you doing all the snapping for? Honestly, it's something I rarely, rarely use. You might be trying to be TOO precise here.

Top Bottom
1 2