Biden administration to pay migrants separated at border millions of dollars

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Sure, these kids didn't ask for Mommy and/or Daddy or some other relative(s) or maybe even some stranger(s) to haul them from their birth country and homeland to some other country, the whole bunch of them uninvited to the hoped-for new location in the first place and not using appropriate legal methods of gaining access to the desirable new homeland..... Certainly the children are and were innocent in this whole thing, they didn't deserve to be separated from their parent(s) or other relative(s) or whoever actually had them in custody at the time of attempting to cross the border, and as a result these kids found themselves thrust into a sort of prison-like environment even as they were being provided food, water and shelter. So how and why has this now developed into the idea that the US and its tax-paying citizens are under any obligation to give these people (the parent(s), the relative(s) or the child(ren) any amount of money at all? I must have missed something really significant somewhere along the line.
Should the country bear any responsibility for wrongs committed by its government or not?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
For the same reason as always. The far right is a bunch of bullies, and the left is a bunch of, I'm sorry, pussies.

Do you see Biden speaking forcefully, even angrily, about his priorities, exhorting voters to back him up? Do you see moderates and liberals showing up at school board meetings, outnumbering and shouting down the crackpots and supporting teachers? I thought not.
I could have sworn there was a recent movement where millions of liberals were in the streets demanding justice. And I recall people saying it made the left look bad, the slogans were wrong, etc. But 81 million votes for Biden showed that it might have had some effect.

But now we’re gonna forget all about that and claim they never speak out? Should all the BLM marches have been at school board meetings, unnecessarily traumatizing school kids instead of in the streets?

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Respectfully disagree.

Biden got a lot of suburban "Trump is icky and Tweets mean things" votes. He won't get those again if Trump isn't running.
Biden got a lot of the suburban vote that realized "locking up kids in pens, then shipping them wherever as a deliberately punitive attack" isn't something they voted for. It's a one thing to vote for something different, it's another when you see what "different" actually looks like, and you've voted a guy who implements the measures of a known racist.

Biden will get whatever votes that believe he's still the better option, then someone who's sole focus is making people feel better about whatever trigger issue the other party is more concerned with over actual governance.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
So is none of the blame placed on the parents that knew what was going to happen? If I had done something I knew was wrong and my daughter was separated from me as a result, why should I be compensated for it?

No one knew what was going to happen. CBP didn't know what they were doing, and effectively lost track of these children and their parents, and were using an Excel spreadsheet. The Justice Department didn't know what they were doing. I actually went to a hearing when a judge got pissed off at the local D.A. and when he responded that he didn't know where a sobbing father's son was, she ordered him to figure it out.

You expect a foreign national who's spent 6 week traveling La Bestia to understand the intricacies of a new policy when CBP couldn't keep it together, even after the policy was employed in El Paso and it was a frigging disaster there?

No. The government knew this was going to be a shitshow because they did it in El Paso, it was a mess, and they did it anyway. And, meanwhile, the federal government is still trying to track down kids and parents.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
I said above that they should not have been separated at the border. I am not for punishing children. Reunite them, but don't reward them with millions of dollars.

Let them all go a jury trial, and we'll get to drag the entire episode out into court exposing every one who was responsible for the decision making, how they lied to Congress and the American people, and how they completely failed by every legal and moral measure.

And, then watch juries award parents far more money because the government knew exactly how bad this was going to get, and yet, the Trump administration decided that it would be fun to terrorize children and their parents, and use their fear to sell deterrence.

A large-scale class action lawsuit will reap millions for migrant families and the ACLU. The Biden administration is being financially and legally smart, and they'll get punished politically because we're ruled by terrible people.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I could have sworn there was a recent movement where millions of liberals were in the streets demanding justice. And I recall people saying it made the left look bad, the slogans were wrong, etc. But 81 million votes for Biden showed that it might have had some effect.

But now we’re gonna forget all about that and claim they never speak out? Should all the BLM marches have been at school board meetings, unnecessarily traumatizing school kids instead of in the streets?
You're kind of making my point. Liberals may take to the streets on civil rights issues, but they suck at countering totally fictitious bullshit from the right. When the tea party was ambushing politicians at town hall meeting, banging on doors and raging about the ACA being a gigantic Big Brother takeover that would create death panels and drag our seniors to their deaths, there really weren't that many counter protests from our side. And now when crazy people pack school board meetings to mindlessly repeat some Tucker Carlson scare story they heard, sane parents aren't showing up in the same numbers.

In a way I don't blame them. These lunatics are already threatening school board members. Anybody daring to tell a Trump zombie that he's totally wrong...or even tell a school board member that he supports them...probably fears getting shot.

Which brings to mind why there isn't better security at these meetings or why comments from the public haven't been moved totally online, but that's a whole other story.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
You're kind of making my point. Liberals may take to the streets on civil rights issues, but they suck at countering totally fictitious bullshit from the right. When the tea party was ambushing politicians at town hall meeting, banging on doors and raging about the ACA being a gigantic Big Brother takeover that would create death panels and drag our seniors to their deaths, there really weren't that many counter protests from our side. And now when crazy people pack school board meetings to mindlessly repeat some Tucker Carlson scare story they heard, sane parents aren't showing up in the same numbers.

In a way I don't blame them. These lunatics are already threatening school board members. Anybody daring to tell a Trump zombie that he's totally wrong...or even tell a school board member that he supports them...probably fears getting shot.

Which brings to mind why there isn't better security at these meetings or why comments from the public haven't been moved totally online, but that's a whole other story.
Sorry, why is it the job of liberals to point out that Trump and his ilk are lying? And who is really listening to those lies anyway? Nobody can keep up with the GOP lies. At this point, anybody who is honest knows 90% of the stuff coming from right-wing sources is a lie. It is pointless to try and call it out or get ahead of it or whatever you want to call it. And good luck getting anything except lies into the Facebook feed of the Trump followers. Facebook will feed them an endless stream of lies because that gets the clicks.

I do not think the response to crazy behavior by the right is … equally crazy behavior by the left? As if bringing 100 ”sane” people to a school board meeting to counteract the 100 Q-Anon believers is going to have some kind of positive effect?

I think the idea of having security at the meetings is good, but very sad that we should need security at a school board meeting. So much for the GOP being the party of “law and order” I guess.

Last edited:

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
The bleeding hearts here are just as bad as the far right crazies.

I can tell who here has ZERO experience with illegal immigration.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
So is none of the blame placed on the parents that knew what was going to happen? If I had done something I knew was wrong and my daughter was separated from me as a result, why should I be compensated for it?

This is a confounding factor. The parents probably had some idea that this violated US law. To the best of my knowledge, this doesn't prevent them from filing suit.

In my mind, this has virtually nothing to do with the "right thing". The US government should probably minimize the cost of any settlement that doesn't directly apply a direct remedy and take meaningful actions to prevent this kind of crap.

Also, note that the kids didn't deserve to be traumatized, regardless of what you think of their parents. The kids themselves were detained.

Respectfully disagree.

Biden got a lot of suburban "Trump is icky and Tweets mean things" votes. He won't get those again if Trump isn't running.

He claimed he was only interested in serving one term, so Trump could be running against someone else. I can't say I'm optimistic about Harris' chances for anything higher than her current office.

Let them all go a jury trial, and we'll get to drag the entire episode out into court exposing every one who was responsible for the decision making, how they lied to Congress and the American people, and how they completely failed by every legal and moral measure.

And, then watch juries award parents far more money because the government knew exactly how bad this was going to get, and yet, the Trump administration decided that it would be fun to terrorize children and their parents, and use their fear to sell deterrence.

A large-scale class action lawsuit will reap millions for migrant families and the ACLU. The Biden administration is being financially and legally smart, and they'll get punished politically because we're ruled by terrible people.

Actually I would like to see that, specifically for the bolded portion.

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
He claimed he was only interested in serving one term, so Trump could be running against someone else. I can't say I'm optimistic about Harris' chances for anything higher than her current office.
Agree. She doesn't do well when having to answer questions she doesn't want to answer.

But will she be automatically elevated to the nomination as the sitting VP? Or maybe even sitting POTUS by the time we get there?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't believe this is any kind of war of any kind.

As I said, this is just one of many corrective actions that the administration has to deal with, besides climate control, trying to get a handle on a pandemic that some of us don't want to, repairing international rifts ( while making a few of their own ), and who knows what else I missed.

That isn't wars. That's maintenance.

Something that a majority voted for, to correct the numerous :poop: shows the previous administration left for anyone else to deal with.

Obama spent a lot of his time correcting the shit show that was W Bush which ultimately gave us Trump. Spending too much time (and money) on fixing Trump's shit show while not getting any meaningful and wallet felt legislation passed could give us Trump Season 2 ...or worse.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
This outrage against the possible settlement payments feels like a micro-war started by the right. I think it’s actually good that Biden’s team is not “trying to get in front of” this. All his focus has been on the big infrastructure bills, and it needs to stay there until they pass.

It's a pretty easy target. We can't seem to pass a bill that puts more money in American's pockets, or most of that is getting stripped out of the bill, but we're instead going to give money to people attempting to enter the US. If nothing else, it's an obvious reason for some to not vote Democrat.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Obama spent a lot of his time correcting the shit show that was W Bush which ultimately gave us Trump. Spending too much time (and money) on fixing Trump's shit show while not getting any meaningful and wallet felt legislation passed could give us Trump Season 2 ...or worse.
We both know that conversation leads to narratives. What in part got both Obama & Biden elected was the promise of fixing the shit that both previous administrations caused. What ends up happening is that when shit starts to get fixed people get complacent, thinking surely no one else would run another shit show, and we are consistently proven wrong. Only the last administration led to rollbacks of important programs involving climate / environmental, international treaties, getting us hit with declarations of human rights violations involving our southern border, numerous scandals within that very administration, and of course who could forget a pandemic that cost hundreds of thousands of U.S. lives that the previous president tried very hard to pretend wasn't ( “It’s going to disappear. It is disappearing.” ) a serious thing.

Both 'd' administrations mainly end up just trying to put band aids over the cracks in a dam, because actually trying to do legislation that will improve lives is fought tooth & nail by the opposing party. Not out of true conservative concerns that could seek to improve it, but because it's more important to deny a political victory to the ones actually trying to improve anyone's life that isn't wealthy. We saw it played out with Romney Obama care ACA, we are seeing it again with voting rights & Build back better. Really, family leave is a contentious issue? Richest country in the world, and we can't do family leave? Really? Is it because Biden didn't want to do it? Or because other political forces don't want it?

Just for disappointing laughs, google "Manchin opposes". No subject, just "Manchin opposes", and you will get a list that will make you think you typed in Mitch McConnell. THAT'S the Joe Manchin that bubbled up since the last election. I have no clue WTF happened with Sinema.

It's a pretty easy target. We can't seem to pass a bill that puts more money in American's pockets, or most of that is getting stripped out of the bill, but we're instead going to give money to people attempting to enter the US. If nothing else, it's an obvious reason for some to not vote Democrat.
Which again falls under what is the true cause?

The current administration can settle cases against them for the actions of the PREVIOUS administration or risk going to court. To put more money & services into the hands of Americans though, the administration has to first get by the elected officials of those same Americans. Officials more determined to do the least for many Americans in the name of political gamesmanship. Not for lack of will.

So the narrative is played that it's a Biden failure, not for 'r's NOT wanting to do a thing, and two supposed dems demanding a spotlight.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Sorry, why is it the job of liberals to point out that Trump and his ilk are lying? And who is really listening to those lies anyway?...

I do not think the response to crazy behavior by the right is … equally crazy behavior by the left? As if bringing 100 ”sane” people to a school board meeting to counteract the 100 Q-Anon believers is going to have some kind of positive effect?

Quite a few listen to those lies. And they're creating new ones every day. How do you think Fox "News" got so popular?

It's not just pointing out the lies, either. Just as the tea party was trying to bully politicians, these Trumpers are trying to bully school boards. Sooner or later you have to respond to bullies, but our side seems to be content to let school board members handle these ugly crowds all by themselves. If they don't get some sort of support from our side, these school board members are going to be resigning just as health care officials did, and of course you know who is waiting in the wings to take their places.

Doing nothing is not an option.

BTW I'm not sure where I said that "crazy" behavior by the left is called for--just people to stand up and reassure board members that the educational curriculum is fine the way it is now, books on LGBTQ people are not Evil Incarnate, and white supremacists should not be dictating what is taught in schools.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
It's not just pointing out the lies, either. Just as the tea party was trying to bully politicians, these Trumpers are trying to bully school boards.

You call them Trumper's, I call them Parents. Parents tend to ignore politics when it comes to their kids and what they think is best for them. I would guess many of those Louden County parents creating a ruckus voted for Biden. No proof, but where they live is a good indicator that not all are conservative nutjobs.

I mean when a kid gets raped at school and the BOE covers it up, then the school board gets what they deserve.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Quite a few listen to those lies. And they're creating new ones every day. How do you think Fox "News" got so popular?
My point is that Biden or other Dems fact-checking the lies won’t move the needle an inch for the people immersed in that propaganda. Look at how many people still believe the election was stolen, despite every REAL news organization hammering on the truth for months. I say: pass meaningful legislation that improves people’s lives. That’s much more likely to work than convincing Trump true believers that they’re being lied to.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
You call them Trumper's, I call them Parents. Parents tend to ignore politics when it comes to their kids and what they think is best for them. I would guess many of those Louden County parents creating a ruckus voted for Biden. No proof, but where they live is a good indicator that not all are conservative nutjobs.

I mean when a kid gets raped at school and the BOE covers it up, then the school board gets what they deserve.
This is all over the place.

1. The anti-CRT crazies are, in many cases, not even parents of kids at the schools in question at these board meetings.
2. Loudoun County’s demographics went from 90% white to 67% white in just a few decades. It doesn’t take a genius to see that a) almost 100% of the anti-CRT protesters are white and b) there’s a correlation between this anti-diversity movement and the influx of non-white people into the county.
3. The things being spouted at the board meetings are far-right talking points. These are not Biden voters. Just watch the videos if you don’t believe me. I bet a majority of them still think Trump won in 2020.
4. This doesn’t have anything to do with the sexual assault that the right-wing media and Youngkin political ads have been harping about. In fact, they lied that it had something to do with transgender use of bathrooms, which it did not. This was an attempt to use an isolated criminal incident to combine anti-CRT and anti-trans sentiment with the anti-school board sentiment.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
This is all over the place.

4. This doesn’t have anything to do with the sexual assault that the right-wing media and Youngkin political ads have been harping about. In fact, they lied that it had something to do with transgender use of bathrooms, which it did not. This was an attempt to use an isolated criminal incident to combine anti-CRT and anti-trans sentiment with the anti-school board sentiment.

Please note, I didn't reference anything about the student being transgendered. Simply that a rape happened that was covered up.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Please note, I didn't reference anything about the student being transgendered. Simply that a rape happened that was covered up.
Which has nothing to do with CRT, and only affects one school district. I don’t see how it has anything to do with the election for governor, and that is the point. It’s dirty politics at its worst, smearing that stuff all over the TV the day or two before the election.

Also, it was the sheriff’s office that “covered up” the rape, not the school board. So again, it has nothing to do with a school board. But that doesn’t stop the nut-jobs from ranting at any school board meeting they can find… or from you being tricked by false information and posting it here.

Again, none of that matters to Youngkin’s campaign or right-wing media. They are using the trauma of the victim for their own political game, and it is disgusting. To then intertwine lies like the school board covered it up, or that it was a transgender student, etc, etc… is even worse. And I can see you’re quite familiar with the story, so clearly this trash got traction in right-wing media.

Nobody is buying the “I’m only saying a rape was covered up” 🐂💩 BTW.

Top Bottom
1 2