Cord cutters - What's your favorite streaming services?

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Not a cord cutter. I use cable for about half what I watch. The rest, however, in order of use:
  • HBOMax (by far)
  • Netflix
  • Hulu
  • Prime Video

Last edited:
U

User 189

Look at Sling TV, it has 2 different level that can be combined into one. I think A&E is there. đź‘€
There's no perfect solution. As far as I'm concerned, Sling TV is missing some channels that YouTube TV has.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The thing I like best about our modern way of watching “TV” is that nothing interrupts it. Back when we had cable it went out every time there was a small storm. DirecTV disappeared every time it rained. I don’t even lose youtubetv in the midst of a hurricane, and my generator can crank the internet back up in no time.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
For what it's worth, bumped into this today

For my own streaming, probably Netflix the favorite, and PBS Passport offerings. I sub to Apple TV, HBO Max as well and use Prime Video on occasion, sometimes its PBS Chennel.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Really enjoying Tubi. It’s free but runs commercials. If I have no clue what to watch it usually gives me good suggestions, unlike Netflix and Prime that seem to only recommend the same movies over and over.…half of which I’ve already seen.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Really enjoying Tubi. It’s free but runs commercials. If I have no clue what to watch it usually gives me good suggestions, unlike Netflix and Prime that seem to only recommend the same movies over and over.…half of which I’ve already seen.
I watched a couple good ones on Tubi too.. I will check it out again.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

Saw the word "Vudu" go past me while I was reading one of those "what's streaming now" things someplace the other night. I looked at it twice and thought "Vudu?" do they mean "Hulu"?" but I just kept scrolling. Now I feel bad, like I should go see what they have!

But maybe not really. I'm even starting to look harder at ditching Netflix, which in a way surprises me. I may keep HBO Max and Prime Video for awhile and see how it goes. Plenty of movies I've never seen, having skipped movie theatres from the 70s forward and not spending much time in front of a TV either, so now in retirement, those two options should be fine for me.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
I may keep HBO Max and Prime Video for awhile and see how it goes. Plenty of movies I've never seen, having skipped movie theatres from the 70s forward and not spending much time in front of a TV either, so now in retirement, those two options should be fine for me.
I ditched HBO Max once my $11 rate (or whatever discount it was for a year). Ever since GOT went off the air, I don't watch much on HBO anymore. If something comes up I want to see, I'll sign up for a month or two, binge it then leave again. I do like the freedom of watching ala carte.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Yes.

Vudu (aka, DuDu) is owned by Walmart, they're pretty huge. They're really just an own/rent service of existing content, so it's like iTunes/Amazon but without original programming. We've picked up quite a few movies through Vudu, and that account is connected to Movies Anywhere (Disney), which is both a point of purchase and a distribution portal. So a movie purchased through Vudu is available in iTunes and/or Amazon and/or Google-YT, by way of Movies Anywhere, it means you can buy where it makes the most sense and __probably__ be able to watch the movie through the preferred interface.

I say probably because some studios don't participate, so a movie purchased in Vudu is trapped in Vudu and you have to go specifically to their app to watch. They have native apps for iOS/iPadOS/TVOS and a web based player.

One thing that did happen that was pretty cool, we had movies originally purchased in Vudu, they migrated to iTunes via Movies Anywhere ... and they were upgraded (for free) to the 4K version :D

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's my current process. Netflix, Amazon, and Discovery+ remain a constant because I'm a dullard. Everything else is up for monthly subscribe or unsubscribe. I keep track of everything I'm interested in watching on Just Watch. Once 3 or 4 things I want to watch are available on a streaming service I subscribe. I watch those within a month and if there's nothing else on that service I really want to watch I kill the subscription.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I wanted to bump this with Tubi, an ad supported app that has a ton of great classic shows on it. You can also download a modded version that removes all ads (for Android) that I put on my Amazon Firestick, by far the coolest addition to my lineup in a long time.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I wanted to bump this with Tubi, an ad supported app that has a ton of great classic shows on it. You can also download a modded version that removes all ads (for Android) that I put on my Amazon Firestick, by far the coolest addition to my lineup in a long time.
I see they have the Andromeda TV series. Was that any good?

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I see they have the Andromeda TV series. Was that any good?
I used to like it despite its flaws. Don’t think I’ll be able to watch it again after Twitter insisted on recommending me Kevin Sorbo’s tweets.

Nonwithstanding Sorbo tweets, I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone free from nostalgic ties to it. With the amount of shows available today, there simply must be better options.

Say, do they have Lexx or Farscape?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I used to like it despite its flaws. Don’t think I’ll be able to watch it again after Twitter insisted on recommending me Kevin Sorbo’s tweets.

Nonwithstanding Sorbo tweets, I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone free from nostalgic ties to it. With the amount of shows available today, there simply must be better options.

Say, do they have Lexx or Farscape?
I will check. They do have cowboy bebop which I’ve been rewatching. It’s not a great binge watch since the episodes are stand-alone, so I watch one now and then. I recently watched the classic anime Fist of the North Star on it too. They also have a lot of utter trash on there too, you know the horror videos that were 2 for $1 at the video rental place… but that can be fun too.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I will check. They do have cowboy bebop which I’ve been rewatching. It’s not a great binge watch since the episodes are stand-alone, so I watch one now and then. I recently watched the classic anime Fist of the North Star on it too. They also have a lot of utter trash on there too, you know the horror videos that were 2 for $1 at the video rental place… but that can be fun too.
Yeah, tons of stuff I've never heard of but I almost feel guilty using the ad free version, which is something I would really pay them for because they have some of my favorite old shows. So I don't mind sifting through all the crap, I just added my stuff to a my favorites now I can just load the app and go.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's my current process. Netflix, Amazon, and Discovery+ remain a constant because I'm a dullard. Everything else is up for monthly subscribe or unsubscribe. I keep track of everything I'm interested in watching on Just Watch. Once 3 or 4 things I want to watch are available on a streaming service I subscribe. I watch those within a month and if there's nothing else on that service I really want to watch I kill the subscription.
I’d do something very similar to this if it didn’t irritate my wife. Basically she wants every show at her fingertips always and doesn’t care what it costs.

Top Bottom
1 2