COVID Stupid

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Did a few early and baroque music concerts recently. Masks and proof of vaccination were required for attendees and performers. Exceptions to the mask rules were for wind players and singers only (for obvious reasons…).

Nobody broke the rules. Interesting to see the culture differences between audiences of different musical styles.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I live an hour north of Boston. Hadn’t gone down there since before Covid until two days ago for a concert. Virtually no masks there, which I’m fine with, nobody is wearing them where I live. It was so weird to be around that many people.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Went to the Apple store at my local mall today and was surprised to see that staff and most of the customers were not wearing masks. I think there were maybe three of us in the place who actually were masked. Whatever.... Bought a new mouse, nothing exciting, but I did have fun looking at all the new goodies that are available now that weren't the last time I was in there quite a while ago. I played with a few but didn't bring any of them home with me (this time).....

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Went to the Apple store at my local mall today and was surprised to see that staff and most of the customers were not wearing masks. I think there were maybe three of us in the place who actually were masked. Whatever.... Bought a new mouse, nothing exciting, but I did have fun looking at all the new goodies that are available now that weren't the last time I was in there quite a while ago. I played with a few but didn't bring any of them home with me (this time).....

I actually did something similar. I was there to get an iPhone so I could repurpose my well used one as a dedicated engineering device. Got a chance to play with the Studio and Studio Display.

Similar here in a region north of Seattle. Only a handful masked. Especially folks from cultures where masking is generally more common.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
We visited the Apple store on the Upper West Side after picking up new eyeglasses. Such a stark difference. The eyeglass place prefers appointments. Limits the amount of customers inside. And insists on masks. We went from what felt like a very safe, responsible space to the Apple store where there were relatively few masks. We quickly picked up a couple accessories and spent 2/3 minutes looking at the Mac Studio and Studio Display before hightailing it out of there.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I live an hour north of Boston. Hadn’t gone down there since before Covid until two days ago for a concert. Virtually no masks there, which I’m fine with, nobody is wearing them where I live. It was so weird to be around that many people.

I still have most stuff delivered but when I'm out and about on particular errands then I don't mind being the weird one wearing a mask. There's still a high rate of unvaccinated in this area, and the risk of a breakthrough is not nil for people my age, even with boosters.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
We've all but given in, not just DC but everywhere. We'll have to see where the case rates and hospitalizations land.

It's not that. I simply don't think there is enough outrage on this board, or at PRSI, when those who make the rules, break the rules. During the peak if someone walked into a store without a mask it was the worst thing that could have happened. But politicians who made the mask rules could do whatever they wanted and no one cared. Might get a "Well they shouldn't have done that" but that was about it. It didn't come close to the level of vitriol aimed at some "Karen" who was videoed in a store not wearing a mask.

I'm sorry, but it simply made/makes no sense. And any comment about "this is why the little people aren't following the rules" was ignored or ridiculed. As much as my hatred of masks was known and documented, not once did I ever not wear one where required either by law or even by a sign on the door. So when the people that make the rules ignore them, yes it pissed me off.

Note: Please excuse multiple subject/verb disagreements in this post. :)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Those mandates have all been lifted though, do you want Democrats to continue adhering to rules that no longer exist because you're upset that they implemented them to begin with?

At the time (and if it happens again) we damn well will be busting on every Karen out there so willing to spread it, we've learned how selfish people are during this thing and politicizing it cost a lot of lives, if you want to show some outrage maybe do it for all those who senselessly died when they didn't have to.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
It's not that. I simply don't think there is enough outrage on this board, or at PRSI, when those who make the rules, break the rules. During the peak if someone walked into a store without a mask it was the worst thing that could have happened. But politicians who made the mask rules could do whatever they wanted and no one cared. Might get a "Well they shouldn't have done that" but that was about it. It didn't come close to the level of vitriol aimed at some "Karen" who was videoed in a store not wearing a mask.

I'm sorry, but it simply made/makes no sense. And any comment about "this is why the little people aren't following the rules" was ignored or ridiculed. As much as my hatred of masks was known and documented, not once did I ever not wear one where required either by law or even by a sign on the door. So when the people that make the rules ignore them, yes it pissed me off.

Note: Please excuse multiple subject/verb disagreements in this post. :)
I don't disagree with you that politicians set a bad example by not following mandates or public health guidance, not counting putting themselves and people around them at risk. However, it's harder for them to model good behavior, such as mask-wearing, when they're constantly mocked as being "weak," or worse.

What's really sad is that we have the tools to get us much closer to what life was like in 2019, but too many politicians who think it's more important to adhere to conspiracy theories or enact legislation that harms their own constituents to remain in power.

I don't think the U.S. will experience what China and some other countries are going through, though we will see some rise in cases and possibly hospitalization in selected areas. Our leading mRNA vaccines are more effective than others, and more people have some immunity from prior infection. But that doesn't mean the pandemic is over, as the majority seem to believe by the way they're conducting themselves. The world is fortunate that Omicron hasn't been more virulent, but we may not be so lucky with the next one, which is probably incubating in a host somewhere.

And the problem of long-COVID looms, though it is largely being ignored except by those who are affected and the people close to them, The federal government should be earmarking at least a billion dollars for research, but I'm not hopeful when they can't even provide funding for basic things like vaccination.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you that politicians set a bad example by not following mandates or public health guidance, not counting putting themselves and people around them at risk. However, it's harder for them to model good behavior, such as mask-wearing, when they're constantly mocked as being "weak," or worse.

What's really sad is that we have the tools to get us much closer to what life was like in 2019, but too many politicians who think it's more important to adhere to conspiracy theories or enact legislation that harms their own constituents to remain in power.

I don't think the U.S. will experience what China and some other countries are going through, though we will see some rise in cases and possibly hospitalization in selected areas. Our leading mRNA vaccines are more effective than others, and more people have some immunity from prior infection. But that doesn't mean the pandemic is over, as the majority seem to believe by the way they're conducting themselves. The world is fortunate that Omicron hasn't been more virulent, but we may not be so lucky with the next one, which is probably incubating in a host somewhere.

And the problem of long-COVID looms, though it is largely being ignored except by those who are affected and the people close to them, The federal government should be earmarking at least a billion dollars for research, but I'm not hopeful when they can't even provide funding for basic things like vaccination.
Congress had a $15 billion COVID package setup to pass. $5 billion of that was to help with global vaccination efforts. They took that out. Do members of Congress only have the memory capabilities of goldfish?

When historians look back 1000 years from now, the shortsighted tendencies and inability to learn from past mistakes will be listed as reasons for the late 21st century near-extinction of humanity… be it through the next pandemic or irreversible climate change.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Congress had a $15 billion COVID package setup to pass. $5 billion of that was to help with global vaccination efforts. They took that out. Do members of Congress only have the memory capabilities of goldfish?

When historians look back 1000 years from now, the shortsighted tendencies and inability to learn from past mistakes will be listed as reasons for the late 21st century near-extinction of humanity… be it through the next pandemic or irreversible climate change.
If we continue along the current path, there may not be any historians in 1,000 years. And please don't insult goldfish by comparing them to members of Congress. :)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

They are supposed to be leaders. And true leaders do what is right no matter what.

I think @Eric hit the nail on the head in this post:

We've all but given in, not just DC but everywhere. We'll have to see where the case rates and hospitalizations land.

The people are done. I do not think they will accept any more lockdowns on mask mandates. And I think in part is because the leaders that issued the mandates, ignored them. Fresh in their minds will be the NFC Championship and Superbowl where the Governor and multiple mayors were maskless throughout the game. And then tried to lie about it when confronted.

Do members of Congress only have the memory capabilities of goldfish?

No, they think we do.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

But covid has surged in Boston proper. BSO has cancelled its European tour due to breakout of covid in 31 of the orchestra's musicians despite vaxx and testing, It must be such a disappointment. Was going to be first such tour since 2018.

The Boston Symphony Orchestra has canceled its upcoming four-city European tour citing “an increase in cases among the members of the orchestra and Tanglewood Festival Chorus following recent Symphony Hall performances.” According to the BSO, a recent surge of COVID-19 cases has affected 31 onstage musicians.

The orchestra’s COVID-19 policy requires vaccinations and boosters for all performers. According to the orchestra, singers as well as wind and brass players are tested daily, while string players are tested twice per week. The chorus sang unmasked at performances of Britten’s “War Requiem” that took place between March 31 and April 2 under the direction of Antonio Pappano.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
But covid has surged in Boston proper. BSO has cancelled its European tour due to breakout of covid in 31 of the orchestra's musicians despite vaxx and testing, It must be such a disappointment. Was going to be first such tour since 2018.

With the return to relative normalcy around here, I speculate that I and nearly everyone I know has had some form of COVID. Most of us don’t get tested regularly like the BSO.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Tennessee to make ivermectin available without a prescription because "It's a lot safer to go to your pharmacist and let him tell you how much ivermectin to take than it is to go to the co-op and guess what size horse you are"

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Tennessee to make ivermectin available without a prescription because "It's a lot safer to go to your pharmacist and let him tell you how much ivermectin to take than it is to go to the co-op and guess what size horse you are"
They’re in the running for worst state legislature in America, but there are a lot of other strong competitors for that title.

Top Bottom
1 2