COVID Stupid

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I'd like to see an exposé on defiant anti-vaxxer employers and the great career opportunities they are offering. I imagine you probably shouldn't expect quality health insurance to be part of the package, but I could be wrong.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
At some point between that first death, and the latest death toll, it went from being a pointless tragedy, to GODDAMN FUCKING HILARIOUS!
Except for the part where unsuspecting drivers are entangled and injured or killed by the idiots. And the first responders that come out to assist and wind up overworked or even possibly injured and killed. But Free-Dumb & 'Murca!!!

U

User.45

I can't believe people are losing their jobs over this crap. My employer terminated close to 100 people a few weeks ago. Based on all of the GoFundMe's out there, I doubt these folks have a good financial egg to lean on in between jobs.

These conservative politicians and fox news folks are living it up while convincing these idiots to give up their jobs SMH
TBH, i really suspect that this is a really efficient way to remove the most incompetent people from your workforce. In healthcare that’s definitely the case.

U

User.45

College football coaches are very highly paid and often do quite well when they're terminated without cause. Ed Orgeron, who will leave LSU at the end of the current season, will be paid almost $17 million though 2025, with his first check about $5.68 million due in December. Auburn fired two coaches in recent years. Gus Malzahn's buyout was $21.45 million. Gene Chizik's was smaller, but still substantial. Current Senator Tommy Tuberville also got large buyouts from two universities, including Auburn. It's crazy.
I've always wondered what these coaches have to do with education... If this is education, they shouldn't be paid more than professors. If this is entertainment, then well, the "student" athletes should be compensated too, who obviously make way more money than their tuition/scholarship if coaches can be paid such obnoxious salaries.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I've always wondered what these coaches have to do with education... If this is education, they shouldn't be paid more than professors. If this is entertainment, then well, the "student" athletes should be compensated too, who obviously make way more money than their tuition/scholarship if coaches can be paid such obnoxious salaries.
University recognition. Most people would never have heard of Gonzaga if they weren't in the Final 4 last year. A winning team attracts out-of-state student who pay higher tuition rates, ergo the school gets more money.

As for coach's compensation, much of those huge buyout figures are paid by wealthy boosters, not the university. While most coaches are paid well by the state, they majority of their compensation packages come from TV/radio shows, free cars from local dealers, donations to the athletic boosters etc.

As for athletes being compensated, they are getting a free college education and I personally think that is enough. But starting this year, athletes can profit from NIL (Name, Image & Likeness) meaning they can have a shoe contract or get a free car from a dealer etc. Some schools are working to get everyone on the team something, but others just let the free market dictate. While not a fan of NIL, I have always thought that athletic scholarships (also usually paid by boosters) should be able to include the full cost of education. Academic scholarships can offer small stipend, so athletic scholarships should have been able to also. Not pay as in salary, but a couple hundred dollars a month to be able to go on a date or order a pizza.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
TBH, i really suspect that this is a really efficient way to remove the most incompetent people from your workforce. In healthcare that’s definitely the case.

I don't mourn for a single health care worker losing their job over a vaccination. If they won't get the vaccine, they shouldn't be in health care in the first place. To me, they're almost as bad as a school teacher who can't read.

U

User.45

I don't mourn for a single health care worker losing their job over a vaccination. If they won't get the vaccine, they shouldn't be in health care in the first place. To me, they're almost as bad as a school teacher who can't read.
There's a lot of irony in it. These people will def not be a hot commodity on the healthcare market. They are in a for a rude awakening too when they realize that the job security of healthcare doesn't apply to most other fields...:)

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Shhhh!!! That would be communism, right? You actually want to pay Black, Brown and poor "amateurs" a portion of the billions their hard work generates? They're already gettin a free education. I mean their graduation rates for the elite Division I behemoths are through the roof with no cheating, easy courses and marketable skills. Right? :unsure:

U

User.45

Shhhh!!! That would be communism, right? You actually want to pay Black, Brown and poor "amateurs" a portion of the billions their hard work generates? They're already gettin a free education. I mean their graduation rates for the elite Division I behemoths are through the roof with no cheating, easy courses and marketable skills. Right? :unsure:
Exactly. Smells a bit like slavery. These kids should take being exploited for granted because "they'll get an [very low quality] education" out of this.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Smells a bit like slavery. These kids should take being exploited for granted because "they'll get an [very low quality] education" out of this.
They shouldn't settle for pennies for the use of their likeness and other such BS. They should get a healthy percentage of all revenue generated, including television rights. And all athletic scholarships should be guaranteed through graduation. No matter how long it takes. You don't want to see student-athletes spending several years working toward a degree? Well then, no "scholarships" for those that are only there to play ball. The NBA and NFL+ can come up with something similar to MLB's minor leagues. Just give real world minimum salaries and housing for minor leagues players.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
🤦‍♂️
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1450396941834014725/
LaMay’s Friday sign-off, which was shared tens of thousands of times on social media, came as several law enforcement officers and other first responders across the United States resisted coronavirus vaccination and fought mandates. Those holdouts remain reluctant to get the shots even as covid-19 has emerged as the No. 1 cause of line-of-duty deaths in the first half of 2021, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial, which reported 71 deaths between January and June.

Anthony S. Fauci, the nation’s top infectious-disease expert, appealed to officers directly to get the immunization Monday, saying the resistance “doesn’t make any sense” given that “more police officers die of covid than they do in other causes of death.”

In Washington state, most government employees — about 89 percent — have complied with the mandate, according to data provided to The Washington Post by the governor’s office. When including those who received accommodations, the compliance is about 92 percent. Spokesman Mike Faulk said officials expect the final figures, which will include employees who got the shots in the two weeks that preceded Monday’s deadline, to be higher than that.

But there have been pockets of resistance, with state troopers joining an ultimately unsuccessful last-ditch lawsuit seeking to put the mandate on hold. For those choosing to leave their jobs rather than get the shots, Faulk said, “We thank them for their service and wish them well, but this state is moving forward to get people vaccinated and to end this crisis.”

LaMay, who went public with his opposition to the mandate in August, told The Post that he was skeptical about the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines, despite repeated assurances from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. He said he was concerned that “the people pushing it are politicians.” He cited fears over long-term effects, including on fertility, though health officials have said there is no evidence of such harm.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
University recognition. Most people would never have heard of Gonzaga if they weren't in the Final 4 last year. A winning team attracts out-of-state student who pay higher tuition rates, ergo the school gets more money.

As for coach's compensation, much of those huge buyout figures are paid by wealthy boosters, not the university. While most coaches are paid well by the state, they majority of their compensation packages come from TV/radio shows, free cars from local dealers, donations to the athletic boosters etc.

As for athletes being compensated, they are getting a free college education and I personally think that is enough. But starting this year, athletes can profit from NIL (Name, Image & Likeness) meaning they can have a shoe contract or get a free car from a dealer etc. Some schools are working to get everyone on the team something, but others just let the free market dictate. While not a fan of NIL, I have always thought that athletic scholarships (also usually paid by boosters) should be able to include the full cost of education. Academic scholarships can offer small stipend, so athletic scholarships should have been able to also. Not pay as in salary, but a couple hundred dollars a month to be able to go on a date or order a pizza.
It depends on the place. At the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, the football program brings in far more than enough dollars to cover Nick Saban's compensation. The same is true of other top-tier schools. Sports are a cost center at many other institutions, but they can't attract students without them.

The crazy part is the size of the coach buyouts. True, boosters may cover some of these expenses (especially at Auburn), but they demand and get influence for their contributions. It also sends a bad message that someone like Ed O can get paid $17m to do nothing.

I have mixed feelings about NIL, though I do think college athletes have been taken advantage of for years. For football players, it was mostly the promise of a highly lucrative NFL career, but not many of them achieve that. Now, it's true that without scholarships many of them wouldn't attend college at all, but their academic progress is often on a different playing field (pardon the pun) than their fellow students. And those who are injured suffer the consequences later in life.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I could have posted this in Police Brutality as well…

A New York City police officer grabs a male commuter by his jacket and pushes him through an emergency exit door at a subway station in Manhattan, video posted to social media shows. “You’re being disruptive,” the officer tells him.

The man in the 35-second video clip — which has garnered more than one million views and ushered in a fresh wave of criticism of the police — said in an interview that the confrontation erupted when he asked the officer and his partner to put on masks.

U

User.45

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
1634785252352.jpeg

Top Bottom
1 2