COVID Stupid

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
When I’m in full agreement with Gene Simmons, my existence has become surreal.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Has the sorry state of math education in America contributed to people questioning vaccine effectiveness? One author thinks so.

Lots of people, of course, never get that far. They make simpler mistakes: thinking that if 30 percent of people testing positive are vaccinated, that means 30 percent of vaccinated people tested positive, or believing that if a vaccine is 95 percent effective against hospitalization, that means 5 percent of vaccinated people will end up in the hospital. And it isn’t just random people on Twitter who make these errors. CNN, in an article on how to fly safely, infamously suggested that a 90 percent effective vaccine would still mean that 10 percent of vaccinated fliers might catch the coronavirus. (What it really means is that a vaccinated person’s risk of being infected on the plane would be 90 percent lower than an unvaccinated person’s risk.)

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Hey Oklahoma, do you feel safer now that your governor replaced the adjutant of your national guard for getting a vaccine and following Pentagon rules on vaccines for soldiers?

Yep, the governor of Oklahoma fired the Major General in charge of its national guard because he followed Pentagon policy on vaccines.

Now you’ve got a lower-ranked Brigadier General in charge of your National Guard, whose only qualification seems to be that he is refusing to follow the Pentagon’s vaccine mandate.

Oklahoma residents had better hope the guard isn’t needed for an emergency, because that’s no way to pick a leader.

Even dumber, only 800 soldiers in the state have refused the shot.

Hey Republicans, stop with this anti-vaccine NONSENSE. You are being extremely stupid. In 50 years, the history books will talk about the idiots who refused to get vaccines during the 2020 pandemic. Nobody will remember you as heroes, but rather as an example of the stupid barbarians from the bad old days.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Has the sorry state of math education in America contributed to people questioning vaccine effectiveness? One author thinks so.

That absolutely makes sense in my opinion. My favorite is "why are you afraid of something with a 99% survival rate?"

I've also found that if someone doesn't understand the math, they resist understanding the math when someone tries to explain it. They just do an eye-roll to reset reality (their reality) and carry on. It really has a "don't let Satan tempt you" religious vibe to it.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
What-the-Fuck.gif

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1459559995163484162/

When your privilege takes you so far, that you take a religious symbol and rebrand it as a symbol signifying that you're an asshole.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Got more info on my friend's mother who died of COVID, her and her son (who survived) were both unvaccinated in rural PA without transportation, but they were holed up and never really left the house as they are/were disabled. However, their caregiver (an actual nurse) who shopped for them is an outspoken anti-vaxxer I guess, went into their home sick and infected them both while knowing she had it.

Not sure what to make of all of this but the negligence is off the charts here, no health professional should be able to practice without being vaccinated, period. My friend looks at it like this person murdered her mother, the irony is that she (my friend) took her mother and brother to get vaccinated two days before this nurse infected them but it wasn't enough time for it to kick in yet.

U

User.45

Got more info on my friend's mother who died of COVID, her and her son (who survived) were both unvaccinated in rural PA without transportation, but they were holed up and never really left the house as they are/were disabled. However, their caregiver (an actual nurse) who shopped for them is an outspoken anti-vaxxer I guess, went into their home sick and infected them both while knowing she had it.

Not sure what to make of all of this but the negligence is off the charts here, no health professional should be able to practice without being vaccinated, period. My friend looks at it like this person murdered her mother, the irony is that she (my friend) took her mother and brother to get vaccinated two days before this nurse infected them but it wasn't enough time for it to kick in yet.
An unvaccinated healthcare worker infecting patients with COVID should be held liable for medical malpractice. This would also fix the mandate debate...

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
An unvaccinated healthcare worker infecting patients with COVID should be held liable for medical malpractice. This would also fix the mandate debate...
I would also wonder if this is criminally negligent if you know you have it and spread it, they have similar laws for AIDS for example.

U

User.45

Today one thing came to my mind.

1. Many Republicans (including a person here) consider it a fact that COVID is a human-made global calamity. In reality, there is very little current supportive evidence, but plenty to point towards other, much more likely origins. Thus, the COVID lab-leak is actually a poorly substantiated hypothesis.

2. Many Republicans consider the idea of Climate Change being a human-made global calamity a poorly substantiated hypothesis. In reality we have half a century worth of supportive evidence and a multidisciplinary consensus among scientists. So even on the conservative spectrum of thought, Climate Change is as close to be a fact as it can get.

So why is that these guys really need extremely high level of evidence to believe the human cause of one global calamity, but settle with extremely low evidence of the other?

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User.45

I would also wonder if this is criminally negligent if you know you have it and spread it, they have similar laws for AIDS for example.

I'm not a lawyer, and don't play on on the internet either, but I think if the HCW is aware of their infection and fail to comply with infection prevention methods, they are criminally liable.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer, and don't play on on the internet either, but I think if the HCW is aware of their infection and fail to comply with infection prevention methods, they are criminally liable.
I agree that no healthcare worker who interacts with patients should be permitted to work unvaccinated. That doesn't eliminate the likelihood of transmission, but it's much better. I also think HCWs should be required to wear masks. Unfortunately, there's a segment of society, HCWs included, that believes their personal needs outweigh all other considerations.

In a sane world, licensing bodies would sanction those who depart significantly from acceptable medical practice, particularly for advocating therapies like ivermectin and hydroxycholorquine that have repeatedly been shown to be ineffective for COVID-19. But, aside from a few warnings from specialty boards, I haven't seen much evidence of this. The refusal of the Florida Board of Medicine to take action against DeSantis' lap dog surgeon general, Dr. Joseph Ladapo, is a case in point. Of course, board members are appointed by the governor, so he'd probably fire them if they did.

People have been criminally prosecuted for coughing on others, though it's not always clear-cut. Based on what I've read, the prosecution would have to prove intent to harm show the perpetrator knew they were infected. But isn't it almost as bad if you tell someone you're infected (even if you aren't) and cough to scare or intimidate them?

It's also interesting to consider civil liability, which generally has lower thresholds for findings against defendants. Could a patient sue an unvaccinated and/or non-mask-wearing physician or nurse if they contract COVID-19 after interacting with them?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Today one thing came to my mind.

1. Many Republicans (including a person here) consider it a fact that COVID is a human-made global calamity.

I don't consider it a fact, I consider it an unknown.

I agree that no healthcare worker who interacts with patients should be permitted to work unvaccinated. That doesn't eliminate the likelihood of transmission, but it's much better.

Sure it does. Biden himself said it on October 7th in Chicago. His exact quote was:

"We’re making sure health care workers are vaccinated, because if you seek care at a health care facility, you should have the certainty that the people providing that care are protected from COVID and cannot spread it to you."

Now I know that is incorrect, but it is just as stupid as many of the other things in this thread, but no one will call him out on it.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score

Sure it does. Biden himself said it on October 7th in Chicago. His exact quote was:

Now I know that is incorrect, but it is just as stupid as many of the other things in this thread, but no one will call him out on it.
I've read criticism of some of Biden's statements from experts who were quoted in the mainstream press, notably his use of the phrase "pandemic of the unvaccinated," which isn't entirely accurate. But I'll take any of Biden's misstatements about COVID-19 over his predecessor's any day. Disinfectant injections or powerful light in the body, anyone?

I don't expect politicians to be 100% accurate when they talk about science, engineering, medicine, or other disciplines, but I don't think they should be far off target, either. Speaking of the atomic bomb that was used on Hiroshima, President Harry Truman described it as unleashing "(the) force from which the sun draws its power." That wasn't quite right, since the bomb used fission instead of fusion. But it was close enough.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I don't expect politicians to be 100% accurate when they talk about science, engineering, medicine, or other disciplines, but I don't think they should be far off target, either.
Agreed. Vaccination is not 100% protection, but vaccinated healthcare workers are MUCH safer for patients to be around. It really is farcical to see people that supported Trump and his constant lies to go after a slight inaccuracy in a statement by Biden. And they harp on these minor discrepancies in a way that actually attempts to discredit the effectiveness of vaccines. Engaging in such behavior is immoral in my opinion.

Do not forget, this poster has posted disinformation about COVID infection rates in the past and has zero credibility on the subject.

To call an overstatement from Biden on the ability of the vaccine to stop the spread of the virus equivalent to the insane and dangerous COVID stupidity in this thread… is offensive.

U

User.45

The question is what will happen in 5 years when the next virus escapes from a lab?
I'll keep it in mind next time you get caught on an "inconsistency."

Ohh, this sudden longing for accuracy. This "incredibly stupid" statement overestimates risk reduction of the vaccines by 15% in a speech that intends to promote an intervention that reduces COVID deaths by 92%. Interestingly, lies that claimed tens of thousands of lives were not a deal breaker for you in the past as a repeat Trump voter.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

I'll call him out as being incorrect. Yet I can also see that his intentions seem to be good. As others have mentioned, I don't expect the president to be a source of sound medical advice. But the president should act as a guidepost in my opinion, pointing people in the right direction. I feel he's met that criteria.

So it would have been nice if it had been a more accurate statement from the president. But at least he's not actively pointing people in the wrong direction.

I'm not sure what level of "calling out" you're looking for here. But I'm willing to meet you that far.

Top Bottom
1 2