Electric Vehicles: Tesla specific talk, current firmware, purchasing, modifications

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Looks to me like light reflecting off the back. I’ve seen a lot of these driving around, and no noticeable marring or scratching. There are body panel gaps that are very noticeable on some of the test cars driving around here, and they look like they were hammered together by cavemen, But I’d imagine the steel will hold up reasonably well.
You're probably right, but it looks like it will create some fingerprint OCD for some folks.

fingerprints.jpg

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Looks to me like light reflecting off the back. I’ve seen a lot of these driving around, and no noticeable marring or scratching. There are body panel gaps that are very noticeable on some of the test cars driving around here, and they look like they were hammered together by cavemen, But I’d imagine the steel will hold up reasonably well.

Curious, as I've yet to see one... do you ever see them with stuff in the bed - furniture, junk, bags of trash, garden mulch, lumber, etc.?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
They gave me a 2023 Model S loaner today because my car will take at least a few days to repair (no idea how long - they haven’t yet even tried to diagnose the “power train requires service” light that comes on every once in awhile).

The ergonomics of this thing are a nightmare. Who thought it was a bright idea to get rid of the turn signal stalk and replace it with two buttons, stacked vertically (up is right and down is left, I guess) that you have to hit exactly right in order to turn the signal on? Who thought that using the touch screen to pick a gear makes sense? Who thought having to go through a menu on the left dash to adjust the wipers was smart? I’m constantly taking my eyes off the road to do things, because otherwise i toggle the high beams when I mean to turn left.

Instead of door handles, there are these button things you press to open the door. My wife tried it and it didn’t do anything so she pulled the emergency door release instead. Just terrible design.

35 years of muscle memory that works in any other car to signal a turn, out the window.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
They gave me a 2023 Model S loaner today because my car will take at least a few days to repair (no idea how long - they haven’t yet even tried to diagnose the “power train requires service” light that comes on every once in awhile).

The ergonomics of this thing are a nightmare. Who thought it was a bright idea to get rid of the turn signal stalk and replace it with two buttons, stacked vertically (up is right and down is left, I guess) that you have to hit exactly right in order to turn the signal on? Who thought that using the touch screen to pick a gear makes sense? Who thought having to go through a menu on the left dash to adjust the wipers was smart? I’m constantly taking my eyes off the road to do things, because otherwise i toggle the high beams when I mean to turn left.

Instead of door handles, there are these button things you press to open the door. My wife tried it and it didn’t do anything so she pulled the emergency door release instead. Just terrible design.

35 years of muscle memory that works in any other car to signal a turn, out the window.
All the touchscreen navigation is insane, I can't recall all the times I've had to stop and google how to perform a basic function. I would argue that trying to navigate through their convoluted menu system for even the most basic of functions is far more dangerous while driving than texting or using your phone while driving.

My next car will have CarPlay and will have a tactile interface with common sense controls.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
If I had $80~100K lying around, and these were a non-vapor thing, that would be my inclination.
I will never again buy a car from a company that doesn’t have an established and well-functioning service network. Though these look fun.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
All the touchscreen navigation is insane, I can't recall all the times I've had to stop and google how to perform a basic function. I would argue that trying to navigate through their convoluted menu system for even the most basic of functions is far more dangerous while driving than texting or using your phone while driving.

My next car will have CarPlay and will have a tactile interface with common sense controls.

Same here. My wife's 2023 Toyota Venza hybrid comes very close with great CarPlay integration, hi-rez displays, and loads of safety/convenience tech. Still... I'm a little annoyed that radio volume and temperature settings are done with up/down buttons. Are knobs and rotary controls being embargoed somewhere?

Still, we like the car. A lot. And I'm still planning on a 2024 Tacoma truck when they finally make it here.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I will never again buy a car from a company that doesn’t have an established and well-functioning service network. Though these look fun.
The blurb describes the design as modular, using standardized components. I get the impression that service could just about be handled by a shade-tree-level mechanic. Which could explain the breathtaking sticker price.

Still... I'm a little annoyed that radio volume and temperature settings are done with up/down buttons. Are knobs and rotary controls being embargoed somewhere?

My car has a nice Blaupunkt stereo with rotary knobs. They are iffy in performance, probably because they operate on click-stops. The car is 20 years old, though, so it is not surprising the parts are wearing out.

Last edited:

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Sad thing is that the Karin looks much nicer.
Plus the Karin offers much better outward visibility. Though that's not entirely Tesla's fault. The far better side impact protection offered by modern cars (which is a good thing) necessitates a much higher beltline. Maybe the Cybertruck compensates with no-blind-spot panoramic cameras so you can easily change lanes to the left and right.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Been playing around with “Full Self Driving (beta).”

a few times it tried to drive down the middle of a bike lane. It took a highway exit at a ridiculously high speed in wet weather so I had to jam on the brakes. And if you haven’t entered a destination, it will still try to take turns, apparently to take you to some secret location that it has in mind.

That said, it does a much better job than earlier iterations of the technology. I wouldn’t pay for it, though. You have to remain vigilant, so what’s the point?

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, I kinda have my eye on the Macan EV and hope the new platform isn’t as wonky as MEB or drive like a boat (Lyriq).

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Forty four years later that Citroen puts a smile on my face. And know the ride will be superb, based on reading about other past Citroens.

The Tesla Cybertruck? Eh... I can't see filling its bed up with a yard or so of gravel/mulch, a few bikes, 2x4s, etc. Or even a couple bags of concrete mix.

I'd also be afraid of others seeing me driving it, wondering, "What's wrong with that guy... Is he in need of an intervention?"