Electric Vehicles: Tesla specific talk, current firmware, purchasing, modifications

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Been playing around with “Full Self Driving (beta).”

a few times it tried to drive down the middle of a bike lane. It took a highway exit at a ridiculously high speed in wet weather so I had to jam on the brakes. And if you haven’t entered a destination, it will still try to take turns, apparently to take you to some secret location that it has in mind.

That said, it does a much better job than earlier iterations of the technology. I wouldn’t pay for it, though. You have to remain vigilant, so what’s the point?
Right, it's like "here is a full set of features designed to make it so you can take your hands off the wheel and eyes off the road". Also, you must "keep your hands on the wheel at all times and never take your eyes off the road".

Regardless of one's personal feelings about it, this is 100% pointless.

BTW Is there a trial or did you just purchase for a month?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Right, it's like "here is a full set of features designed to make it so you can take your hands off the wheel and eyes off the road". Also, you must "keep your hands on the wheel at all times and never take your eyes off the road".

Regardless of one's personal feelings about it, this is 100% pointless.

BTW Is there a trial or did you just purchase for a month?
I have a 2023 Model S loaner because my 2013 Model S is getting its motor replaced. The loaner came with FSD activated.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
What is the mileage on a dozel-year-old motor? It seems to me like it should last a lot longer than that. Have you been driving like a teenager?

Almost 100k miles exactly. I think that back then they didn’t make them like they do now.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My wife and I are going to the annual Silicon Valley auto show this weekend. Tesla will be there with their cybertruck. They're one of the auto manufacturers listed as offering test rides. It will be interesting seeing if that includes their truck, or if it will only be on display.

The above is just idle curiosity. We're really going to see what all the other manufacturers are offering for 2024.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My wife and I are going to the annual Silicon Valley auto show this weekend. Tesla will be there with their cybertruck. They're one of the auto manufacturers listed as offering test rides. It will be interesting seeing if that includes their truck, or if it will only be on display.

The above is just idle curiosity. We're really going to see what all the other manufacturers are offering for 2024.
Where’s the show? Great America?

I may be bored enough to go.

I’m thinking my next car might be a Porsche Macan 4.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Where’s the show? Great America?

I may be bored enough to go.

It’s at the Santa Clara Convention Center, near Great America. Friday through Sunday.

We’re going tomorrow to beat the crowds. You can get tickets online.

A Macan sounds sweet!

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Nope. I don’t think so. It’s so huge the only descriptor I could come up with is comical.

1708109991979.jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Nope. I don’t think so. It’s so huge the only descriptor I could come up with is comical.

View attachment 28370
Ack man yeah, personal feelings about Musk aside that thing is flat out fugly. Time will tell I guess but I'm assuming they haven't shipped yet since you never see them in the wild.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Ack man yeah, personal feelings about Musk aside that thing is flat out fugly. Time will tell I guess but I'm assuming they haven't shipped yet since you never see them in the wild.

Also saw a Ford Lightning truck there. It’s big, and more truck than I need, but overall it’s well executed. And unlike the Cybertruck, I wouldn’t feel embarrassed driving it.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Also saw a Ford Lightning truck there. It’s big, and more truck than I need, but overall it’s well executed. And unlike the Cybertruck, I would feel embarrassed driving it.
I think this would be a great EV, it looks like they sell out really fast but I would be interested as my next rig.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I think this would be a great EV, it looks like they sell out really fast but I would be interested as my next rig.

It's a great looking truck and is certainly tempting. The interior is nice too (especially when compared to the cybertruck). It even has a... wait for it... a round steering wheel! Check out the steering wheel on the Tesla. Was the designer high or something? And that forward view out the windshield...

Attachments

• Cybertuck steering wheel.jpg
    Cybertuck steering wheel.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 15

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It's a great looking truck and is certainly tempting. The interior is nice too (especially when compared to the cybertruck). It even has a... wait for it... a round steering wheel! Check out the steering wheel on the Tesla. Was the designer high or something? And that forward view out the windshield...
Oh yeah and don't forget it has Apple CarPlay, IMO this thing is better than Tesla on many levels and we can't forget that it's designed by an actual car company that's been at this for way longer.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score

The EV version? I’m keeping an eye on that one as well down the road. I kinda wish there was something between the Taycan Cross and the Macan in terms of size, but if the seats in the EV Macan are as good as they look, I would consider saving up for one as my next.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The EV version? I’m keeping an eye on that one as well down the road. I kinda wish there was something between the Taycan Cross and the Macan in terms of size, but if the seats in the EV Macan are as good as they look, I would consider saving up for one as my next.
Yeah, the EV. Seems to be in the sweetspot of what I’m looking for. I owned a Porsche before, and I can tell you that the service centers treat you a lot better than Tesla’s. And while Tesla is currently run by a Nazi, Porsche hasn’t been run by a Nazi in many decades,.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
He has a point. Business Insider highlighted a few extreme cases of what people have done to Cybertrucks so far:

Zack Nelson from JerryRigEverything took a torch and a variety of firearms to the truck, including a .50 caliber weapon.
Tesla Owners Silicon Valley threw a steel ball at the Cybertruck. (The video is an apparent homage to the truck’s debut when Tesla’s design chief, Franz von Holzhausen, threw a metal ball at the vehicle.)
Tesla shared a clip of the truck scaling a steep off-road trail. Some owners have followed suit, with varying degrees of success.
Jason Cammisa, an auto reporter, took a sledgehammer to the Cybertruck. (Musk did a similar test when the vehicle was first announced.)
The YouTuber TechRax took the truck into waters that were as high as its windshield to test out Cybertruck Wade Mode.
A group of Tesla fans tried to physically beat the truck up by kicking it.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone else gotten FSD 12.3.1 yet?

Speaking of FSD, read yesterday that Musk has decreed that all new deliveries are required to take a short test drive of FSD. If I bought a Tesla and, at delivery, instead of handing me the key they demanded that I have to put my life at risk letting a car with no true depth-perception try to crash me into a median, I would tell them to f- off and give me my money back.