Electric Vehicles: Tesla specific talk, current firmware, purchasing, modifications

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Right! The extra $6k is for beta software that hasn't delivered the expected functionality.

$6K for EAP is still too much for me, like I said, I'd do monthly so I could bail at any time. The problem with a fixed price is for folks like me, who own shorter term, it's too expensive, it needs to be tied into ownership duration. $2400 for the next two years? Yeah, maybe. $6000 for the next 2 years? NFW! :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, essentially the only real benefit here is auto lane change and that's just not worth $6K, the others are more novelty. I like that they're being more realistic about features and pricing though. At the time of purchase had they given this option I would've likely purchased it with the car, my guess is they're realizing how few people are buying an option that they'll never get access to and changed things up.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I bet Tesla will add a monthly option for EAP (though I suppose that could be another differentiator with FSD). People said it was unlikely they'd do a discounted year option for premium connectivity, but they eventually did.

Speaking of, I let my premium lapse, I just sort of wanted to see the car work without it, er, yeah, a few things were missing, then I connected to my phone hotspot, that helped, but still a bit of a PITA, so I just got another year for $99.

Hahaha, I actually bought it while sitting in the theater waiting for The Thing to start :D I had turned on Sentry, and for fun went to live camera, which needs premium, so I added it, checked out, done! Then when I went back to try live cameras, it said that option was off (I guess it went into default mode, which is off, when it re-upped to premium). Anyway, set that back on, yeah, so much easier with premium and no loss of features (live cams, live traffic).

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yeah $6,000 is too rich for me on EAP. It has all the functions I want from FSD, but $2000-$3000 would be my max.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
Yeah $6,000 is too rich for me on EAP. It has all the functions I want from FSD, but $2000-$3000 would be my max.
I think EAP should be 4K, since it was 5K originally but also included Autosteer and TACC.

People are going to keep pushing and Tesla is going to pull a Porsche and just make you pay for everything separately (like they used to).

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
I think EAP should be 4K, since it was 5K originally but also included Autosteer and TACC.

People are going to keep pushing and Tesla is going to pull a Porsche and just make you pay for everything separately (like they used to).

$4K is still pushing it, IMHO.

I find $2,000 pushing it for acceleration boost.

Everything Tesla is doing is pushing it to what I am willing to spend lately.

Heck if my Model 3 gets wrecked today, as much as I would want to and love to replace it with another Tesla, the $10K-$15K price hike that has been going on since I bought my Model 3 is pushing me out of it. And it isn't just due to inflation. I fully suspect it is Musk being his usual unfettered free market self and just keeps on raising the price, because he can.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
$4K is still pushing it, IMHO.

I find $2,000 pushing it for acceleration boost.

Everything Tesla is doing is pushing it to what I am willing to spend lately.

Heck if my Model 3 gets wrecked today, as much as I would want to and love to replace it with another Tesla, the $10K-$15K price hike that has been going on since I bought my Model 3 is pushing me out of it. And it isn't just due to inflation. I fully suspect it is Musk being his usual unfettered free market self and just keeps on raising the price, because he can.
To be fair, every EV except GM’s Bolt is getting a price increase right now*. Doesn’t seem to be curbing folks willingness to buy.

*this is probably exaggeration

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Anyone who purchased FSD for $10K or $12K are just suckers, I would be pissed.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
To be fair, every EV except GM’s Bolt is getting a price increase right now*. Doesn’t seem to be curbing folks willingness to buy.

*this is probably exaggeration

So far I am only finding $700-$1500 increase in prices from the previous model year( this is MSRP, and not including dealer ripoffs I mean mark ups).

Not the $15K the Model Y has jumped from when I ordered my 3 in April of last year. Nor the $10K the Model 3 has jumped up from.

You're right though, it isn't curbing demand. Hence my comment saying Musk can increase the price because he can. It isn't inflation driving up the cost of Tesla's.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
So far I am only finding $700-$1500 increase in prices from the previous model year( this is MSRP, and not including dealer ripoffs I mean mark ups).

Not the $15K the Model Y has jumped from when I ordered my 3 in April of last year. Nor the $10K the Model 3 has jumped up from.

You're right though, it isn't curbing demand. Hence my comment saying Musk can increase the price because he can. It isn't inflation driving up the cost of Tesla's.
Supply and demand. If you can’t build them any quicker, then you put the price up. Dealer markups though? We don’t get that in the U.K.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
Anyone who purchased FSD for $10K or $12K are just suckers, I would be pissed.
With EAP being re-released I can see that being an accurate statement, assuming you are not used to the traffic light and stop sign stuff when using AP. Or are not using the Navigate on City Streets Beta, (also assuming it works for you, lol).

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Supply and demand. If you can’t build them any quicker, then you put the price up. Dealer markups though? We don’t get that in the U.K.

Oh I know, but Musk has been blaming the price hikes on inflation so that irks me. Just come out and say price hikes are due to Tesla's/Musk's firm belief on unfettered free market where they will charge as much money as the market will bear.

I think I don't like it because with current prices, anything happens to my Model 3, the replacement will likely be non-Tesla. Even though I would like to replace it with another Tesla, but I have been priced out.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This is such a golden age for EV ownership - there's enough infrastructure (in particular, for Teslas) that owning, driving, charging, is mostly pretty easy - but the total ownership size is still rather small, so you still get this kind of sweet parking and charging, even in a pretty filled parking garage :D

IMG_1548_1920.jpg

~260 mile round trip to the resort, total cost of ~$4 :D

VIP parking: priceless :ROFLMAO:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Got an update notice while we were gone, fired it up right when we got home, left on x.16.1.2, got home and updated to x.16.2 (no new features, just some revisions to the x.16 fork).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Got an update notice while we were gone, fired it up right when we got home, left on x.16.1.2, got home and updated to x.16.2 (no new features, just some revisions to the x.16 fork).
Sounds incremental, for some reason my iphone stopped working on phone calls through the car, they cannot hear me (something with the mic? 🤷‍♂️) so I've had to use speakerphone. Maybe it'll be addressed.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
x.16 has been through quite a few revisions (keep in mind, some of these may be FSD specific):

1656509829381.png

I went from x.12 to 16.1.2 to 16.2

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Getting the update now. For some reason my car can't get wifi in my garage after a drive, I have to restart the computer and it will then see it, this only started a couple of weeks ago and was never an issue before. This car is nothing if not buggy.

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Getting the update now. For some reason my car can't get wifi in my garage after a drive, I have to restart the computer and it will then see it, this only started a couple of seeks ago and was never an issue before. This car is nothing if not buggy.

Welcome to the club :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Just got 4.10.0 of the iOS App, did the search >> details >> update trick :)

And this is pretty stellar, it's where Tesla just knocks it out of the park: