SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The only way a 3rd party succeeds is if they spend their first few organizational years promoting their platform and getting behind candidates on both sides of the current aisle. Once people know what they stand for, they could start fielding their own candidates.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My recollection of Yang during the 2020 election was he was very smart, but kind of had this goofy demeanor that lead me to believe he wasn't very serious.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think Yang has good intentions but I also think he is too easily steamrolled or coopted by the establishment. We already have an ineffectual nice guy party in the Democrats.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Andrew Yang is the opposite of "right-wing" in just about every single way.
He maybe opposite, but "centrist" is often viewed as just a few steps aways from "right wing" & nowhere near progressive. AKA "sellout".

I think a progressive party that wouldn't ever be allowed out of the blocks would be more attractive to young voters, as many of the "old guard" dems are considered "centrist". Who aren't looked well upon by progressives, except that they are a more painfully digestible choice than anything magat or conservative.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I think a progressive party that wouldn't ever be allowed out of the blocks would be more attractive to young voters, as many of the "old guard" dems are considered "centrist". Who aren't looked well upon by progressives, except that they are a more painfully digestible choice than anything magat or conservative.
I thought the Working Families Party here in NYS would be a springboard. But Dem pols hampered the party. Of course, the WFP leaders didn't push back against the Dem leaders. So they have themselves to blame. When then gov. Cuomo was pushing them hard, it would have been the perfect time to put forward their own candidate. Even a flawed, foot-in-mouth celeb like Cynthia Nixon, to show independence.

The DSA won't make any real gains with their current name and hardline policies. That's just reality. I still think AOC will be ousted in a surprise election just like the one when she won her seat against a Dem leader.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
He maybe opposite, but "centrist" is often viewed as just a few steps aways from "right wing" & nowhere near progressive. AKA "sellout".

It's centrist per the American definition of the word. Firmly right of center, but not out in the weeds crazy.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I thought the Working Families Party here in NYS would be a springboard. But Dem pols hampered the party. Of course, the WFP leaders didn't push back against the Dem leaders. So they have themselves to blame. When then gov. Cuomo was pushing them hard, it would have been the perfect time to put forward their own candidate. Even a flawed, foot-in-mouth celeb like Cynthia Nixon, to show independence.

The DSA won't make any real gains with their current name and hardline policies. That's just reality. I still think AOC will be ousted in a surprise election just like the one when she won her seat against a Dem leader.
Exactly.

I wouldn't be surprised later on to find out that this party gets some quiet help from the traditional rep party. It's not a party they will take seriously but hope does siphon off attention & votes from main dem party.

Yang thinking he will be taken seriously after all this bluster about taking on some causes then quietly backing away won't help. He at times seemed goofy, and didn't think things through. He still gets laughed by pro wrestling fans ( think about that ), for his supposed taking on of Vince Mcmahon, then disappearing quietly into the recesses of the internet. In retrospect now, if he had, right now Yang would come across as a hero since McMahon had to finally after 4 decades step down. Mcmahon is a 45 contemporary cut from the same mold, standing up to him would have shown Yang did the balls to stand up when needed. Instead...

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
It's centrist per the American definition of the word. Firmly right of center, but not out in the weeds crazy.
Doesn't matter.

Empirically the word / phrase has become more identified with dems who happily take corporate money so the status quo remains, and we aren't all being assigned UV lights, bleach, and Ivermectin for the next pandemic.

For progressives, the status quo isn't sustainable.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Doesn't matter.

Empirically the word / phrase has become more identified with dems who happily take corporate money so the status quo remains, and we aren't all being assigned UV lights, bleach, and Ivermectin for the next pandemic.

For progressives, the status quo isn't sustainable.

It does seem that we're stuck with having to choose between the oblivious same ole same ole, and something considerably worse. We're living right on Fuck You avenue, on the corner of Morton's Fork.

The only silver lining to the centrists is that they will eventually do something to address the various problems that arise. It'll be half-assed, and done at the 11th hour, but they will do something about it. The other side of the equation will ignore it until it can no longer be ignored, then blame it all on gay sex in schools and Hunter Biden's laptop.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The obvious problem with a 3rd party is that it benefits the Rs. There is just no calculation that adds up to a 3rd party that is a negative for them. The only answer is to begin a decades-long effort to infiltrate the Rs from so far to the left that they fail to realize it because it looks RW to them.
Agreed. Old voters make up most of the GOP coalition, and they aren’t going to change their ways. Only a cult-like figure like Trump starting his own thing would be sufficient to peel off enough of them to matter.

Top Bottom
1 2