France orders Apple to halt iPhone 12 sales due to EM levels that exceed their regulatory requirements.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
This is sort of interesting. The European limit for EM deposition by smart phones held in the hand or pocket is 4 W/kg, and French regulators measured the iPhone 12 at 5.74 W/kg, so they've banned all sales of new iPhone 12's, and are telling Apple to fix the problem via a software update, or they'll order a recall of all iPhone 12's. Apple disagrees with the measurement, saying they're compliant.

I can't comment on the biological significance of this--it's a very fuzzy area.

But it might be disruptive if France has similar findings for Apple's more recent phones.

I wonder if there's an app that allows you to increase the EM emissions, so you can use your phone to heat up your tea.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
I wonder if there's an app that allows you to increase the EM emissions, so you can use your phone to heat up your tea.
When Apple still sold routers, you could select a different country in the AirPort configuration utility for your AirPort Extreme / Time Capsule and it'd allow you to increase the power output of your router beyond the regulations of your country. Unfortunately, not enough to heat up the tea, I'm afraid :p

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
So the 12 is still for sale as a new phone?

Given it's age and the fact the 15 is now out, this seems like a nothing burger. I get that it could be subject to a recall, but by the time this winds its way through the system, there won't be a huge number out there in the market.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
So the 12 is still for sale as a new phone?

Given it's age and the fact the 15 is now out, this seems like a nothing burger. I get that it could be subject to a recall, but by the time this winds its way through the system, there won't be a huge number out there in the market.
Was wondering that myself. It's not available in the French Apple store, but might still be sold by authorized resellers, including French cellular providers. For instance, you can still buy iPhone 12's on Amazon.

And it's not a nothing burger if they decide to recall them, as they've threatened, which means all current owners are asked to return them for repair or replacement. Not that I think it will come to that.

Anyone from France here?

Last edited:

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
When Apple still sold routers, you could select a different country in the AirPort configuration utility for your AirPort Extreme / Time Capsule and it'd allow you to increase the power output of your router beyond the regulations of your country. Unfortunately, not enough to heat up the tea, I'm afraid :p
Was going to respond with an angry face, but didn't want it to be misinterpreted!

MacPoulet

Reaction score
Was wondering that myself. It's not available in the French Apple store, but might still be sold by authorized resellers, including French cellular providers. For instance, you can still buy iPhone 12's on Amazon.

And it's not a nothing burger if they decide to recall them, as they've threatened, which means all current owners are asked to return them for repair or replacement. Not that I think it will come to that.

Anyone from France here?
Not from France (but I’m from Quebec so I speak it), and I did a quick search at Fnac which is one of their big electronic chains And they have a few models of the 12 in stock, notably the 12 Pro and mini as refurbs. So they’re still in the retail channel to some degree.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Not from France (but I’m from Quebec so I speak it), and I did a quick search at Fnac which is one of their big electronic chains And they have a few models of the 12 in stock, notably the 12 Pro and mini as refurbs. So they’re still in the retail channel to some degree.
Merci bien pour trouvant ça!

Top Bottom
1 2