Good places to stay in NYC

Buntschwalbe

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I'm doing a trip to north america this fall. Right now i'm staying with relatives in canada, in the beginning of October i will travel to new york city to visit and hopefully check out some jazz places and get the chance to enjoy a lot of different arts after staying in the woods of Ontario. As European I'm not really accustomed yet to northern American habitualities. There are quite a lot of people from the usa in this forum, so i hoped maybe you can help me with a few valuable tips. I'm planing to hitchhike from toronto to NYC, maybe i will take a train from somewhere in between. Does anybody know some good places to sleep in NYC? For example maybe in Brooklyn? My budget is not that big, but i really hope to be able to avoid cockroaches and rats. :) any hints on a good roof to stay or places i should definitely visit are warmly welcome! I excuse myself in advance for late replying, because i will leave for a weekly canoe trip tomorrow. Thanks

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi everybody

I'm doing a trip to north america this fall. Right now i'm staying with relatives in canada, in the beginning of October i will travel to new york city to visit and hopefully check out some jazz places and get the chance to enjoy a lot of different arts after staying in the woods of Ontario. As European I'm not really accustomed yet to northern American habitualities. There are quite a lot of people from the usa in this forum, so i hoped maybe you can help me with a few valuable tips. I'm planing to hitchhike from toronto to NYC, maybe i will take a train from somewhere in between. Does anybody know some good places to sleep in NYC? For example maybe in Brooklyn? My budget is not that big, but i really hope to be able to avoid cockroaches and rats. :) any hints on a good roof to stay or places i should definitely visit are warmly welcome! I excuse myself in advance for late replying, because i will leave for a weekly canoe trip tomorrow. Thanks
I think you’re going to have some problems if you are relying on hitchhiking down NY state. Having grown up there, I think you’ll have a hard time finding someone who picks up hitchhikers (unless to murder them).

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think you’re going to have some problems if you are relying on hitchhiking down NY state. Having grown up there, I think you’ll have a hard time finding someone who picks up hitchhikers (unless to murder them).
Yeah, unfortunate but true. I like the train idea for getting to NYC, although having just visited Europe myself, our trains are way more expensive for the same trip

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody

It’s been years since I’ve been around NYC. Not since before COVID. I grew up in Connecticut about 45min-1hr outside the NY… but I’m in my 30’s now and don’t know that scene anymore.

If you ever happen to swing by Boston, I’d be happy to point you in some directions of places to go and things to do.

Just be advised that hitchhiking in NY State (as well as many other states) is illegal. Not to mention potentially dangerous (not just getting kidnapped, assaulted and murdered, but ie getting hit by a distracted driver). Most people I think are very leery of hitchhikers in the Northeast. I’m sure it’s done, but I just wouldn’t. I’d look into taking a trains or buses. NY state has extensive public transit unlike most of America.

Hope you have a nice trip!

Buntschwalbe

Reaction score
Thank you all for your advices. Really appreciate to get some useful tips. I'm surprised, that hitchhiking isn't a thing in upstate ny, but i will follow your warnings and take a train or bus.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
hitchhiking in the us hasn’t been a thing since the 70s

Buntschwalbe

Reaction score
a small update as my Journey ended two weeks ago, i'm back in Europe.
Thanks for your advices, i ended up taking a train from Toronto to New York (130US$) which was quite a pleasant way to travel. It was a really funny experience for a person, who travels a lot with European trains; habits and procedure are a bit different in the Amtrak trains. I enjoyed NYC for ten days which was a wonderful experienced, except for my purse (this city is so expensive!). Next time i will definitely book my stay as early as possible; i had to change multiple times my homebase and book twice some expensive Hotels. But it was worth the effort, i will certainly go back one day.

Top Bottom
1 2