jkxaxv3mnkic1.jpeg

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Seems I'm already in a subscription relationship having to periodically buy expensive ink (eight 13mL cartridges) for my Canon printer. :(

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
They could have done this quicker by keeping Leo Apotheker as the CEO, who wanted to kill HP hardware altogether and focus on software.
Would this have been such a bad thing considering that paper printing is going the way of the dinosaur anyway? 🤷‍♂️

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I’m a Canon printer man myself. After much research they seem to get the most praise for affordable printer and ink replacement with high quality prints.

I've had my Canon printer for around four years now. Despite being annoyed with the small 13mL ink cartridges, it is a superb printer. Both in terms of print quality and *never* clogging/jamming on me. It's also right-sized for my modest needs.

I came from a much larger Epson 4000 printer that I was constantly fighting to unclog the print head. The eight cartridges each held 220 mL of ink and were super expensive. A lot of that ink was wasted dealing with unclogging the print head.

After getting the Canon printer, my wife and I carried the 90 lb Epson out to the sidewalk and put a FREE sign on it. Problem solved.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
After getting the Canon printer, my wife and I carried the 90 lb Epson out to the sidewalk and put a FREE sign on it. Problem solved.

I have heard that "FREE" may not be the most effective way to do it. Set it outside with an immodest pricetag on it. That way, someone is likely to think it is actually worth stealing.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Or my wife, who insisted on printing out the entire cruise itinerary that's at our fingertips digitally.
It’s funny - I have a very nice color laser printer (Brother) at home - a business model, with two paper trays, etc. Every time I go into my home office, I have to refill one of the trays. My wife is a psychotherapist, and claims she ”hardly ever” uses the printer, but even though I print at most 10 pages a month, the paper is constantly empty :)

Old lawyers, and wives. Killing trees.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've had my Canon printer for around four years now. Despite being annoyed with the small 13mL ink cartridges, it is a superb printer. Both in terms of print quality and *never* clogging/jamming on me. It's also right-sized for my modest needs.

I came from a much larger Epson 4000 printer that I was constantly fighting to unclog the print head. The eight cartridges each held 220 mL of ink and were super expensive. A lot of that ink was wasted dealing with unclogging the print head.

After also having a lot of issues with Epson I switched to Cannon. I also took the advice that you don’t need a printer that also scans, faxes, deep fries, etc. Don’t pay for features you don’t use.

I get a third party ink cartridge brand from Amazon, 3 full sets of every color for about $25. Even if they don’t last as long as Canon cartridges it’s a total steal at that price. Haven’t had any issues other than dry outs if I haven’t printed for months.

While printing may be dying it’s a shame at least as far as pictures. More people should be printing and framing their photos for display. I have a framed photo area where I switch out the photos regularly. You also don’t need to display the same photo for eternity. Switch things up.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I have heard that "FREE" may not be the most effective way to do it. Set it outside with an immodest pricetag on it. That way, someone is likely to think it is actually worth stealing.

My boss had old appliances he tried for ages to give away. Finally he took down his ads and reposted them for $25. They were gone in a day.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
After also having a lot of issues with Epson I switched to Cannon. I also took the advice that you don’t need a printer that also scans, faxes, deep fries, etc. Don’t pay for features you don’t use.

I scan with my multi-function more than I print. Can't remember the last time I sent an actual fax. Been a while since I haven't had a landline in almost a decade.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I scan with my multi-function more than I print. Can't remember the last time I sent an actual fax. Been a while since I haven't had a landline in almost a decade.

Using the Notes app on the iPhone you can use your phone camera to create PDF scans including multi page documents. After you take a picture of each page you tell it to combine them all into one document. And it’s not just taking a normal picture. It’s using some wizardry that knows it’s a document and should be scanned as such including correct square borders.

No idea why you have to use the Notes app for that. Seems like it should be its own thing or accessible from the camera app directly.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I used to print things at work as needed. Now that I work from home, I just don't print things. We have a printer. And I get tons of requests to print things since my Apple stuff works better with the printer than her Android phone. But I can't recall the last time I printed something I wanted to print out. I don't know if it has a scanner and fax and all the other crap. I have no need for those either.

On the flip side, I take screenshots nearly every day. On a work day I might end up with 5 or 10 or 20 screenshots. Back when we worked in person, I could barely remember the keyboard shortcut. I'd just call the person over to my desk or print something out I could take to their desk. Funny how working from home has changed how I communicate.

Top Bottom
1 2