Hundreds of newspapers drop ‘Dilbert’ comic strip after racist tirade from creator Scott Adams

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
They wanted free speech, when they get it they cry about the consequences. Can't win with these people.

New YorkCNN —
Newspapers across the country dropped the “Dilbert” comic strip over the weekend after the creator of the satirical cartoon went on a racist tirade, calling Black Americans a “hate group” and suggesting that White people should “get the hell away” from them.

The USA Today Network, which operates hundreds of newspapers, said it had pulled the plug on the long-running comic strip. The Washington Post and The Plain Dealer also in Cleveland said they would no longer carry the comic.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
While I do think it’s troubling that 47% of respondents think anything but “it’s okay to to be white”, Adam’s comments for Whites not to interact with Black are revolting. Losing his deals should not be an unexpected consequence. And IIRC this is not his first controversy. Granted, this probably isn’t much of a consequence given his age, previous success, and the fact I don’t think many people care about adult comic strips in 2023. In fact, this will probably boost his popularity in a certain cohort with his social commentary.

I know there is some debate as to what “it’s okay to be white” means and is interpreted by some as a white supremacist phrase and this study does not account for that. The study is also only 1000 people. But taking the words at face value, it should be okay to be white, just as it should be okay to be black, Asian, Latino, etc.

It should there are people who appear to hold racist, discriminatory ideas about white people and this expounding these views is treated as socially acceptable because of the power differential between races- including white people against other white people. Racism is redefined as requiring a power component and so by definition seems like can only be something white people can do. White and Whiteness has come to in many instances have a negative connotation. But the fact of the matter is it’s promoting hateful attitudes, which I think is wrong.

Obviously the social struggles caused by racial intolerance are profoundly different between the different races of people in society. But the solution to racial conflict within society should not be breeding more hate and division.

To correct Adam’s statement, people should “get the hell away from” people who spread hate… which means people should divest from Scott Adams.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
While I do think it’s troubling that 47% of respondents think anything but “it’s okay to to be white”, Adam’s comments for Whites not to interact with Black are revolting. Losing his deals should not be an unexpected consequence. And IIRC this is not his first controversy. Granted, this probably isn’t much of a consequence given his age, previous success, and the fact I don’t think many people care about adult comic strips in 2023. In fact, this will probably boost his popularity in a certain cohort with his social commentary.

I know there is some debate as to what “it’s okay to be white” means and is interpreted by some as a white supremacist phrase and this study does not account for that. The study is also only 1000 people. But taking the words at face value, it should be okay to be white, just as it should be okay to be black, Asian, Latino, etc.

It should there are people who appear to hold racist, discriminatory ideas about white people and this expounding these views is treated as socially acceptable because of the power differential between races- including white people against other white people. Racism is redefined as requiring a power component and so by definition seems like can only be something white people can do. White and Whiteness has come to in many instances have a negative connotation. But the fact of the matter is it’s promoting hateful attitudes, which I think is wrong.

Obviously the social struggles caused by racial intolerance are profoundly different between the different races of people in society. But the solution to racial conflict within society should not be breeding more hate and division.

To correct Adam’s statement, people should “get the hell away from” people who spread hate… which means people should divest from Scott Adams.
What a loaded and ridiculous question to a far more nuanced issue, this is where the hatred and hypocrisy of Republicans lose me. It's bait. They keep saying "all Democrats want to do is divide us" and then they do shit like this to set them up. Frankly, anyone even engaging with a poll like this should known better.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
This is what gets me about the Conservative mindset:
Adams has since said on Twitter that he was only “advising people to avoid hate” and suggested that the cancellation of his cartoon signals that free speech in America is under assault.

Is that not the free market speaking? He was free to say it, nobody stopped him or edited anything out. The newspapers that are cancelling him are exercising their right to choose what they do and do not publish. This is their ideal system at work yet they're so fragile about it.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score

Sounds kind of like asking 1000 Democrat voters if we should “make America great again” and then finding it troubling when a sizable portion does not want that.

I know there is some debate as to what “make America great again” means and that it is interpreted by some as a political phrase, but taking the words at face value, America should be made great again.

The “study” is biased bullshit.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I love when successful people proactively torch their career and then claim to be the victim.

Here's another equally useful polling question.

Is it ok to solve a dispute with an AR15?

Let's not analyze that question further, the motivation for asking it, or the type of people who would answer yes to that question and why.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score

Though I agree with much of your post in principle, I'll put it far more bluntly: The "poll" and "it's OK to be white" phrase were intended only to stir the pot and provide cover for racists, nothing more. As for Adams, it's unfortunate that he probably won't suffer financially from this.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Sounds kind of like asking 1000 Democrat voters if we should “make America great again” and then finding it troubling when a sizable portion does not want that.

I know there is some debate as to what “make America great again” means and that it is interpreted by some as a political phrase, but taking the words at face value, America should be made great again.

The “study” is biased bullshit.

Yup. Or the whole “All lives matter” matter thing. All of this is way more nuanced than a simple yes or no question. And I have trouble believing 47% of Black people hate white people.

Though I agree with much of your post in principle, I'll put it far more bluntly: The "poll" and "it's OK to be white" phrase were intended only to stir the pot and provide cover for racists, nothing more. As for Adams, it's unfortunate that he probably won't suffer financially from this.
If you look up the poll’s question, there was one other question asking Y/N if Black people can be racist. 79% agreed Black people can be racist, 10% didn’t know, 12% said no. They did not break this down by race further from what I could readily find. If we assume fairly equal results across all races, one might say it somewhat contradicts the previous result.

While I do think there was some degree of dishonest intention behind this poll… or at least in the manner the results were presented, I suppose one could argue it measures the acceptance of new definitions of what whiteness is and what racism is (ie discrimination + power than discrimination alone).

Interestingly, the way Rasmussen reported the results with the headline “most voters reject anti-white beliefs”.

Generally speaking polls are just a terrible way of collecting data and are easily manipulated.

What a loaded and ridiculous question to a far more nuanced issue, this is where the hatred and hypocrisy of Republicans lose me. It's bait. They keep saying "all Democrats want to do is divide us" and then they do shit like this to set them up. Frankly, anyone even engaging with a poll like this should known better.
It’s definitely a loaded question and an inappropriate way of assessing race relations and beliefs on racial issues. That said, I do think this is an important issue to look at, granted in a much more accurate, sensible, and sensitive manner. I find it pretty astonishing the things left-wing pundits are able say about white people and that such statements are apparently received as entirely acceptable by the audience. But if you substituted any other race or minority group, people would be extremely offended. For all the talk about banning hate speech, why are these beliefs and rhetoric tolerated?

Again, that’s not to say all hate speech and its effects are equal. But all hate speech has the potential to harm. And it’s not to say there aren’t racial injustices that need to be addressed, certainly they are. But making off handed, negative or demeaning generalizations about the alleged inherent nature of a group of people is not how you solve these issues.

I find it extremely troubling how for many people equality has gone treating others by the content of their character and not by the color of their skin to we must make a host of assumptions about people and their life experiences based on the color of their skin. I understand there is a more nuanced view to be had here, but I’m not sure many people realize that or forget about it entirely. It’s hard to justify these attitudes are not divisive.

The right is a whole different basket of craziness when it comes to race, gender, religion, etc which is an entire discussion in itself. That’s not to say all people on the right are nuts when it comes to this, but there certainly is a cohort.

As an Ashkenazi Jew I am white or not white depending on who you ask and in what circumstances. For neo-Nazis I’m not white and never will be (but may or may not be more tolerable than Black people). For the left I’m not white either for the sake of promoting diversity, unless it’s in reference to societal wealth and power, then Jews become white (And there is a segment of the left, usually in the far left, that flirts with antisemitic beliefs).

Given the history of how Jews have been treated throughout history, I find the maligning of any group of people pretty dangerous. It’s like playing with fire. And no, I don’t think there will be genocide against of white people, at least anytime soon. But there are many other bad outcomes possible with the demonization of groups. And it doesn’t matter if it’s the right or left doing the demonization.

Things like racial or gender equality under the law should not be a partisan political matter at all if you ask me. But both the right and left enhance and create divisions and exploit them for power. And they will continue doing so so long as it’s effective for them.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
While I do think it’s troubling that 47% of respondents think anything but “it’s okay to to be white”,

Taking this statement at face value is being intentionally obtuse, like Adams. It’s not a statement in a bubble. It’s a retort to minority pride in America. Being white is fine, but that phrase is loaded and surely you know this?

That poll is loaded too. Did they sincerely ask people do they have an issue with white folks, or if it it’s ok to be other races? Taking the question or the poll results as an indicator of whether black people think it’s ok to be white and not getting feedback on what people think the phrase means (it’s crystal-clear what it means 🙄) is to be willfully ignorant.

Many people are ok with black people and not “Black Lives Matter”. Why is beyond me - again, because of context. But nevertheless, I have heard the contempt from people I know are not racist.

I mean, if you ask me do I agree with the phrase “all lives matter”, I would say “yes, but no”. Is that a poll option?

Anyways, Adams is being a racist asshole, and his feigned ignorance or bullshit pseudo-intellectualism is just that - bullshit. And what makes it all the worse is he’s playing the victim card.

Well, I’ve learned you can’t appease shit comic writers. I’m done pretending Dilbert is supposed to be funny. What do you get from it? Disappointment that the guy who’s comic you read even though you never found it comical is a crybaby racist.

Well, that’s my rant for the day, good night.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I listen to podcasts from Anthony Jeselnik and Marc Maron, who’re both active stand-up comics. They’re pretty articulate about famous entertainers whining about being victims. Their take is “You can say whatever you want, yes, but there are consequences to things you say”.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Taking this statement at face value is being intentionally obtuse, like Adams. It’s not a statement in a bubble. It’s a retort to minority pride in America. Being white is fine, but that phrase is loaded and surely you know this?

That poll is loaded too. Did they sincerely ask people do they have an issue with white folks, or if it it’s ok to be other races? Taking the question or the poll results as an indicator of whether black people think it’s ok to be white and not getting feedback on what people think the phrase means (it’s crystal-clear what it means 🙄) is to be willfully ignorant.

Many people are ok with black people and not “Black Lives Matter”. Why is beyond me - again, because of context. But nevertheless, I have heard the contempt from people I know are not racist.

I mean, if you ask me do I agree with the phrase “all lives matter”, I would say “yes, but no”. Is that a poll option?

Anyways, Adams is being a racist asshole, and his feigned ignorance or bullshit pseudo-intellectualism is just that - bullshit. And what makes it all the worse is he’s playing the victim card.

Well, I’ve learned you can’t appease shit comic writers. I’m done pretending Dilbert is supposed to be funny. What do you get from it? Disappointment that the guy who’s comic you read even though you never found it comical is a crybaby racist.

Well, that’s my rant for the day, good night.

Some of these things I touched on in other posts here but I will reiterate, I did not realize the Dilbert comic strip had been relevant in the past 20 years since the demise of the newspaper.

I do find it strange that in some circles of social justice “white”/“whiteness” is essentially a pejorative term, and that is somehow acceptable. I don’t know how any reasonable people think this flavor of social justice is going to yield positive societal results.
YouTube recommended an interview of Adams by Chris Cuomo on News Nation last night. Talk about one a-hole interviewing another a-hole on a network that as far as I can tell seems to focus all of its energy on the latest murder case. I watched 5 of 30+ min snd Adam’s defense is painfully awful. He wanted to bring attention to himself to start a conversation? Something about it all makes sense in the context of him writing books about personal success and being a hypnotist. I had to turn it off. The nonsensical justifications by Adams and the stupidity and narcissism radiating off Chris Cuomo was unbearable.

You’d think someone would draft a better defense given this is probably the one corporate interview he’ll get. And only because Cuomo is desperate for viewership. From what I saw of Adam’s original commentary on the poll was not strategically crafted in the slightest. It appeared he was extremely emotionally upset and had very little control in the moment. I think could be a foundation for a more compelling defense/apology.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I do find it strange that in some circles of social justice “white”/“whiteness” is essentially a pejorative term, and that is somehow acceptable. I don’t know how any reasonable people think this flavor of social justice is going to yield positive societal results.
The problem with that is that right now, "white" no longer means having pale-ish skin/Euro-centric ancestry. It currently means "better than those other people". I refuse to identify as "white" because it literally means racist in the contemporary dialect.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
The problem with that is that right now, "white" no longer means having pale-ish skin/Euro-centric ancestry. It currently means "better than those other people". I refuse to identify as "white" because it literally means racist in the contemporary dialect.
You refuse to identify as white? Assuming you are white that sounds strange.

Top Bottom
1 2