Ioniq 5 SEL AWD Range Test

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score

227 miles at 70 mph from 100% to 0% indicated. Eco driving mode with auto climate.

Temps ranged from 52F at start and dropped to 39F during the drive

Pretty much what I expected. The Ioniq 5 is not the most aerodynamic, or efficient, vehicle at highway speeds.

That isn’t bad. I think at some point we will probably see EVs switch from a single reduction gear to 2 speed reduction gears. Battery tech is improving, but not fast enough to keep up with the range requirements people are wanting. Having a multi speed transmission seems like a quick way to get more range.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Average miles driven per day by Americans: 27.

These stress tests are a curiosity to see the various cars’ maximum capabilities. Actual range in day-to-day usage will be higher than this test indicates, because you don’t drive 70 MPH for 200+ miles every day. EVs have regenerative braking, so city efficiency is much higher. I’d like to see another 100% to 0% test, but done a couple different ways. Drive 55mph on highways… how much range do you save? Do a typical routine for a week: drive to/from work, make stops for errands, etc. and see what kind of range you get.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score

These stress tests are a curiosity to see the various cars’ maximum capabilities. Actual range in day-to-day usage will be higher than this test indicates, because you don’t drive 70 MPH for 200+ miles every day. EVs have regenerative braking, so city efficiency is much higher. I’d like to see another 100% to 0% test, but done a couple different ways. Drive 55mph on highways… how much range do you save? Do a typical routine for a week: drive to/from work, make stops for errands, etc. and see what kind of range you get.
True, folks don‘t drive far on average, but for whatever reason range is the thing that people without an EV point to being a problem (that and charging speed). 🤷🏽‍♂️

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
True, folks don‘t drive far on average, but for whatever reason range is the thing that people without an EV point to being a problem (that and charging speed). 🤷🏽‍♂️
My EV charges slow and only gets 100 mile range (probably 80 or less if I drove it 70 MPH everywhere). But I drive less than the 27 mile average per day, so it’s perfect for me. Others with longer commutes might need something with 200 miles range. I believe anything over 200 miles is kind of a luxury; it means you might not have to take a train/flight or rent a car for road trips.

cloudflare420

Power User
Reaction score
To be fair, the Model Y doesn’t do that much better on the same range test. I’m seeing such a huge range drop off in colder weather.

The best thing about the Ioniq5 is that it is one of the fastest charging cars out there (800V)

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’d dearly love to have a straight EV but it just doesn’t work for my lifestyle around here. I’m even skeptical that it would work after 2030 but things usually move faster than I expect. For now, our hybrid is perfect.

U

User.45

227 miles at 70 mph from 100% to 0% indicated. Eco driving mode with auto climate.

Temps ranged from 52F at start and dropped to 39F during the drive

Pretty much what I expected. The Ioniq 5 is not the most aerodynamic, or efficient, vehicle at highway speeds.

Great test, horrible conclusions. The Ioniq 5 performed comparably well to the Mach E, ID4, Model Y. The only car that way outperforms the EPA range estimate in a 70MPH test is the Porsche Taycan (270 real life vs 220 EPA). So 220 miles range in 45 F is top level performance with current SUV shaped EVs. I'll add that this is the AWD version that has an EPA estimate ~260mi which has a shorter range than the RWD.

That isn’t bad. I think at some point we will probably see EVs switch from a single reduction gear to 2 speed reduction gears. Battery tech is improving, but not fast enough to keep up with the range requirements people are wanting. Having a multi speed transmission seems like a quick way to get more range.
I have no competence in the topic, but this seems to make sense to me.

You're correct about it, but I can tell you as an early EV adopter in a single-car household is that range shouldn't matter if
1) You can charge everyday at home
2) You have a second car that has an ICE.

The concern that I find justifiable is what if you have to do an emergency trip 2 states down and your EV is only charged for 100mi? The closest I've gotten to this was a trip from Chicago to Springfield IL on a single day notice (220 mi each way) with my car that has 70mi EV and after hacking the range extender, 80 mi gas range. It started out nice and fine with 60 F, I was hypermiling down there, 2 refueling stops and back. But on the way back the temp dropped to mid 30s, and we had to stop to refuel about 4 times. THere were hardly any gas stations, let alone chargers, which became a rarity as you left the metro Chicago. At one part of the trip we ran out of gas and I was just gliding on the remaining juice on my 0% battery (33F outside) and I was able to roll in to a gas station. It was one of those formative moments in life when I was looking at my kid on the back seat feeling this truly visceral worry I've never experienced before and I realized that fatherhood means I just can't do shit like this anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom
1 2