iOS 17

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Now that it's been out for a few days what does everyone think? While I know there are a lot of new features I've only really noticed a couple, typing is really smooth now which is pretty cool, not really a fan of the new funky double tap haptics, feels almost like it's buggy but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I like it.

Autocorrect is much better.

Live Voicemail will prevent me from missing some important calls.

I’ve used StandBy for a couple nights and it’s much easier to check the time without lifting the phone.

The Weather app has several welcome new features, like showing conditions for the previous day.

Offline maps is a godsend for driving in areas with poor coverage.

Photos now recognizes pets. (Moof!)

Automatic grocery sorting in Reminders is cool and may be useful.

And there are a bunch of other things (like NameDrop) I haven’t even tried yet.

It’s also been surprisingly stable. (Apple released a minor update today.)

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve been running it quite awhile. Smooth. Autocorrect is nice. Standby is fun, and solved a real problem for me. I especially like that the screen turns completely off at night after awhile, but if it sees that i am moving around it lights up (dimly).

I haven’t seen live voicemail actually work yet…

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m not noticing much but I’m a big Music user and I’m enjoying the Crossfade feature.

There seems to be a bug for Messaging like if you share something from another app (like Photos). If you’re in Photos and you click to share by Message, you’ll select the recipient, type a message to go with the photo, and send it. The issue is the photo is delivered, but the text disappears altogether. It’s not even in my Message history, just the photo. Happens with Music too.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I haven’t seen live voicemail actually work yet…
I saw it once, but since it was from a spam number, I didn’t bother to tap it. And nobody ever calls, much less leaves voice messages, just text.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I saw it once, but since it was from a spam number, I didn’t bother to tap it. And nobody ever calls, much less leaves voice messages, just text.
I've used it a couple times so far. I get a few spam calls a day. Most are easy to identify and ignore, but I've occasionally missed calls that I would have taken had I known what the call was about. I also sometimes don't take calls from people I know who end up leaving a voicemail, so this feature might help there as well.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I've used it a couple times so far. I get a few spam calls a day. Most are easy to identify and ignore, but I've occasionally missed calls that I would have taken had I known what the call was about. I also sometimes don't take calls from people I know who end up leaving a voicemail, so this feature might help there as well.
Glad they're finally getting to this technology, screening calls in real time was something answering machines could do decades before the smartphone was ever invented.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had not seen this before, though I think it is not new to iPadOS 17, maybe just that I started using a newer device, that you can just select (touch) part of an image in photos and it is able to do autocrop. It ain't perfect but it is pretty good.
That has been my favorite update since the beta.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Offline maps is a godsend for driving in areas with poor coverage.

Interesting. Going to our cabin the cell signal drops about 10 miles before you get there. I assume this is a buffer situation, but it still gets me all the way there as long as maps is always on. If I kill maps anywhere in that stretch it won’t work after that. When I leave the cabin I can’t use it until I get back in cell tower range.

I really don’t need maps to get there and back but I still like using it for distance and time estimates. There’s also parts of the road in that stretch that I’m not too comfortable driving on as the road is cliffside. Always a relief getting past that. It would be nice to see how many miles of white knuckling it I have left.

Top Bottom
1 2