iPhone vs PC visual quality in RE8.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
I saw this video comparing the visual quality of the PC version of RE8 vs the iPhone version. I was surprised just how close they are. Obviously there is a difference in frame rate, but for a phone, it’s super close and promises an exciting future for gaming on the iPhone.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
I just watched the opening section. I didn't notice the difference in frame rates (those parts didn't have much movement), but the phone seems notably blurry by comparison--for me, the effect is as if it's a bit out of focus. And I was viewing the thumbnail, which would be about the same actual size as a phone's screen. But perhaps I'm pickier about sharpness than others; e.g., I strongly prefer my 5k 27" glossy iMac to my 4k 27" matte Dell (which are side-by-side on my desk) while many would be perfectly happy with something like the latter.

Last edited:

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Same as @theorist9 here, I didn't notice the difference in frame rate but the right is significantly blurrier than the left. A theory of what could be happening here: the game is running at a *very* low resolution and then upscaled with... dumb bilinear upscaler? MetalFX Upscaling?

Upscalers look like magic in the tech demos, they're MUCH more forgiving when upscaling from an already moderately high resolution (1080p -> 4K, for example). When upscaling from low res frames, there simply isn't enough data in the frame for the (smart) upscalers to perform its 'magic'. That could also explain the badly antialiased jarred edges you can see in some frames:

AA-issues.png

In my experience when you try to upscale + antialias a really low res frame the edge detection algorithm sometimes fails in this fashion, where the jarred edge is so big that the algorithm doesn't detect it as a straight line (or, if it does, the "steps" of the line are so big that the AA can't correct for it). Though same thing happens with traditional upscaling as well. The one thing that I'm sure about is that this is running at a very low res internally.

However, for a phone, this is awesome! Wouldn't have thought Apple would try to enter the gaming market from the iPhone up.

I could tell the difference based on the YT thumbnail alone. The PC has higher quality textures.
This as well. Very low resolution for some textures, although it's okay for a phone. Wonder if the Mac version has higher quality textures.

Top Bottom
1 2