M3 core counts and performance

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
Given that Apple titled the event "Scary Fast"—which is pretty on-the-nose for them; as you know, their event titles are typically cryptic—I'm guessing we'll be seeing M3's. And perhaps even M3's with boosted clocks.

I think the art style and the choice of phrase suggest prosumer Macs, that is, Pro/Max

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I don’t think so. That’s 1 am here! Some are saying the strange timing means it’s just an M2 iMac. I just can’t imagine that but who knows.
Or the M3 is really A16 😬 - again I highly doubt it, but it is odd to drop the announcement on 5pm Monday. Usually if it’s really bad you want to do 5pm Friday 🙃 though I don’t know if that makes as much difference anymore.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
I think the art style and the choice of phrase suggest prosumer Macs, that is, Pro/Max
Yeah, that as well....which would also support the idea these will be M3's, since all the prosumer models have already been released as M2's (as contrasted with the iMac).

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
Anyone care enough to make a guess at a Geekbench 6 Single Core score?

I guess 3500+. 3700 would be nice. Probably a little too optimistic.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I have long argued that it is strange to use terminology like “M_ is based on A_” when, in reality, it should be “M_ and A_ use cores that were designed from the ground up for both.” And I’ve always felt Apple wanted to be on a regular cadence and release M and A around the same time (in fact, ideally, they’d probably prefer to release M first, to work out production kinks with lower volume chips). So it won’t surprise me that much when Apple starts the process of synchronizing things better. The whole COVID supply chain mess plus delays at TSMC messed them up for a bit, but hopefully things will start making more sense in the future. (Like maybe we’ll see a Mac Pro that offers advantages beyond slots)

casperes1996

Power User
Reaction score
I have long argued that it is strange to use terminology like “M_ is based on A_” when, in reality, it should be “M_ and A_ use cores that were designed from the ground up for both.”
Yeah. Or that A15 and M1 are based on firestorm and ice storm. Iirc I got the right gen and code names there but could be wrong. Of course gpu and neural engine are also shared ip blocks so it depends on the conversation. But a lot of off-die stuff is different too. Like IO controllers

Excited to see the M3 family. No longer being at uni and having a work provided Mac I find myself not using my personal laptop much anymore. Pretty much just my iMac. Could sell the laptop to fund a Mac Studio and display to replace the iMac. But will probably wait for M4. Laptop is still nice for travel and such. Although on the other hand, work doesn’t mind me using the work MBP for that either.

casperes1996

Power User
Reaction score
I don’t think so. That’s 1 am here! Some are saying the strange timing means it’s just an M2 iMac. I just can’t imagine that but who knows.
Same time zone! I’ve heard the odd timing is to align with Japanese business hours due to collaboration with Japanese game companies. Odd for an online event where video feeds can be shared in advance but who knows.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Gurman says Apple will only be updating the 14"/16" MBP and the 24" iMac. Unless they're planning to redesign the Mini, 13"/15" Air, and 13" MBP (or discontinue the latter), I'm wondering why Apple wouldn't update these at the same time, since they use the same chips. It seems it would be in their financial interest to do so before the holidays.

Could it be due to chip availability? Yes, even if the case stays the same, there is some internal redesign needed in changing the Air/Mini/13" MBP from M2 to M3. But surely Apple's Mac divison—which would be a Fortune 100 company if ranked by itself — has the resources to develop and release seven Macs in parallel. That's what makes me wonder if it's a chip limitation, or some other external factor.

Alternately, perhaps they want to wait until N3E is available before updating those other models, to reduce manufacturing costs. But I don't know if that by itself would outweigh the added earlier income from an earlier release.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2