MacBook Pro with the M1 processor

leekohler2

Power User
Reaction score
I'm thinking of trading my MBP '15 (mid 2018 512gb 16gb) which Apple will give me $1,100 for. And getting the 512gb 16gb 13' M1 at $1,699, which would be $599 after trade in.
I have the most recent 16" Intel MBP, and this is the first time ever that I am tempted to do the trade in thing. I'm gonna wait to see what the 16" ones are like. But if they're crazy good, I'll do the trade in.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I have the most recent 16" Intel MBP, and this is the first time ever that I am tempted to do the trade in thing. I'm gonna wait to see what the 16" ones are like. But if they're crazy good, I'll do the trade in.
I think my next computer will be a desktop. But I won’t be in the market for a while because I have a 16” MBP supplied by work. I’d love to see what an Apple Silicon Mac Pro could be like - cheaper than the current Pro I hope. I have an original Mac Pro that still runs fine, so I wish the current Mac Pros weren’t so expensive... that kind of machine can run for many years.

leekohler2

Power User
Reaction score
I think my next computer will be a desktop. But I won’t be in the market for a while because I have a 16” MBP supplied by work. I’d love to see what an Apple Silicon Mac Pro could be like - cheaper than the current Pro I hope. I have an original Mac Pro that still runs fine, so I wish the current Mac Pros weren’t so expensive... that kind of machine can run for many years.
I hear you. I used to be a desktop guy until the trash can Mac Pro. And the new ones are way out of my range!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

There's another set of M1 based SOCs definitely planned, though details are all speculation. I like the idea circulating that M1 (and eventually M2, etc.) designate chips with the same 5nm process, using the same general architecture, but there will be variants, i.e., M1 + <some_designation>. You know, not unlike the A12, that had an A12X, an A12Z (as core counts increased).

So figuring on an M1<something> for the next flavor, that will find a home in a higher power 13" (or maybe a 14"), and the 16" MBPs. A nice bump in core counts, like 12-16 for CPU/GPU (I'd guess just retaining for the 4 low power CPU cores ...), 24 core ML subsystem, maybe a little fudge to the clock speeds, plus 32, maybe 64GB RAM options, and at least 4 TB/USB-4 ports (with the ability to drive 2-4 external displays).

Yeah, I'm thinking (hoping) we see something like a Mini Pro that gets the next M1 variant (and all the improvements I mentioned). The current M1 Mini has a ton of available space too, so more storage and/or better cooling, etc. , plenty of panel space so could easily get 6 ports - and pricewise, the 16GB/512GB M1 model is $1099, and gives my i7 a run for the money, and decimates it in terms of graphic (GPU) performance (the Intel machine being $1499, though I actually have a factory 32GB Mini ...)

If the RAM pricing was the same for the 16_to_32GB bump as Intel, that's +$400, no idea about the next gen M1, but even if it was another $400, a Mini Pro, 32GB, with say, 16 CPU cores, like 16-24 GPU cores, that could drive 4 displays at 5K, with graphic performance reaching high-er-ish end discrete GPUs? For under $2K? Take my money!

U

User.45

There's another set of M1 based SOCs definitely planned, though details are all speculation. I like the idea circulating that M1 (and eventually M2, etc.) designate chips with the same 5nm process, using the same general architecture, but there will be variants, i.e., M1 + <some_designation>. You know, not unlike the A12, that had an A12X, an A12Z (as core counts increased).

So figuring on an M1<something> for the next flavor, that will find a home in a higher power 13" (or maybe a 14"), and the 16" MBPs. A nice bump in core counts, like 12-16 for CPU/GPU (I'd guess just retaining for the 4 low power CPU cores ...), 24 core ML subsystem, maybe a little fudge to the clock speeds, plus 32, maybe 64GB RAM options, and at least 4 TB/USB-4 ports (with the ability to drive 2-4 external displays).

Yeah, I'm thinking (hoping) we see something like a Mini Pro that gets the next M1 variant (and all the improvements I mentioned). The current M1 Mini has a ton of available space too, so more storage and/or better cooling, etc. , plenty of panel space so could easily get 6 ports - and pricewise, the 16GB/512GB M1 model is $1099, and gives my i7 a run for the money, and decimates it in terms of graphic (GPU) performance (the Intel machine being $1499, though I actually have a factory 32GB Mini ...)

If the RAM pricing was the same for the 16_to_32GB bump as Intel, that's +$400, no idea about the next gen M1, but even if it was another $400, a Mini Pro, 32GB, with say, 16 CPU cores, like 16-24 GPU cores, that could drive 4 displays at 5K, with graphic performance reaching high-er-ish end discrete GPUs? For under $2K? Take my money!
I read somewhere that the M1 machines can actually drive 4 or 5 screens already, despite the lower number in their specs.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
In the Verge's reviews of the Air & Pro, they do point out that Chrome on these machines is a hog.

Seems like a subtle way for Apple to steer you away from Chrome, or endure the hit.

I personally am more interested in the Mini, to possibly take the place of my 2014.

Great video. I remember the last time 2016 I purchased the mid MBR, it was mostly because it has a larger hard drive for when I messed with Bootcamp, which I no longer do, and it has 4 thunderbolt ports. I keep most of my data external on dual backed up hard drives, I’m not doing any high end tasks, and I realize I can buy a USB C adapter for a new machine, chances are when I do upgrade it will be to an Air.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Great video. I remember the last time 2016 I purchased the mid MBR, it was mostly because it has a larger hard drive for when I messed with Bootcamp, which I no longer do, and it has 4 thunderbolt ports. I keep most of my data external on dual backed up hard drives, I’m not doing any high end tasks, and I realize I can buy a USB C adapter for a new machine, chances are when I do upgrade it will be to an Air.
I would like to, even more so on the Pro, but I've really enjoyed using an iPad Pro as my portable device & a Mini as my desktop.

I was going to pull the trigger on a new Mini, but got distracted & now the delivery date for one I want is January 12th. That made my self control suddenly return. :p

I've always fancied an iMac, so now with my newfound self control, I'll be waiting to see what those will be like.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I would like to, even more so on the Pro, but I've really enjoyed using an iPad Pro as my portable device & a Mini as my desktop.

I was going to pull the trigger on a new Mini, but got distracted & now the delivery date for one I want is January 12th. That made my self control suddenly return. :p

I've always fancied an iMac, so now with my newfound self control, I'll be waiting to see what those will be like.
My desktop arrangement is mostly devoted to my gaming PC with a 4k monitor, a smaller secondary monitor to the left side and the Mac laptop sitting in the left corner of the desk below the secondary monitor. And I can pick it up (MBP) and go if the need arises.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Today, I ordered one of the $899 MBA "base" models, it's for JB, her needs are pretty minimal, and it's still probably 2-3X faster than the 2015 MBP it's replacing. Right, again, so till midnight tonight (Nov 30th), $100 discount, and 2 day free shipping __and__ like I mentioned, no tax to Florida, so that's $899 to my door. :cool:

Still on backorder this morning at B&H, CSR says, "No idea" about stock. <meh_face>

*cancelled order*

Another Authorized reseller on Amazon had them for the normal retail of $999, but no tax, free shipping, and used an Amazon CC so 5% CB, making the machine effectively $949, and it should be here Thursday. Just couldn't wait with the current MBP looking the way it does ($50 isn't a huge deal breaker either)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Another Authorized reseller on Amazon had them for the normal retail of $999, but no tax, free shipping, and used an Amazon CC so 5% CB, making the machine effectively $949, and it should be here Thursday. Just couldn't wait with the current MBP looking the way it does ($50 isn't a huge deal breaker either)

1607371818142.png

leekohler2

Power User
Reaction score
Ok all, here's a probably dumb question- but what is the clock speed on these things? Am I missing something, or has clock speed become irrelevant?

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Ok all, here's a probably dumb question- but what is the clock speed on these things? Am I missing something, or has clock speed become irrelevant?

I know the MBP is clocked at around 3.2Ghz. The MBA rev might be slightly slower.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I thought the latest one was awesome. But it looks like the new ones will blow it out of the water.

The way I see it, if I'm going to be dropping 2k on a new computer, I'm going to want something that'll last me at least 5 years. These new Macs are great for showing us the power of the M1 chip, but they're still entry level machines. I'm going to want something a little more mid-level, with a beefier GPU, and 32GB ram if it's available.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The way I see it, if I'm going to be dropping 2k on a new computer, I'm going to want something that'll last me at least 5 years. These new Macs are great for showing us the power of the M1 chip, but they're still entry level machines. I'm going to want something a little more mid-level, with a beefier GPU, and 32GB ram if it's available.
My last MBP 2016 model was mid priced and I still paid $2000 for it. I do nothing that stresses it, so I’ll keep it until it croaks or shoot for 7 years. Is a 7 year old Mac still marketable?

But my point is that I think I bought more than I needed based on these days, mostly keeping files, interacting with various entities via a browner, and doing basic photo editing. Looking forward to saving some money on my next purchase.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
My last MBP 2016 model was mid priced and I still paid $2000 for it. I do nothing that stresses it, so I’ll keep it until it croaks or shoot for 7 years. Is a 7 year old Mac still marketable?

But my point is that I think I bought more than I needed based on these days, mostly keeping files, interacting with various entities via a browner, and doing basic photo editing. Looking forward to saving some money on my next purchase.
My 2015 MBP which was considered Grail material after the butterfly fiasco is worth $250 now. I paid $1200 because it was Open Box at Best Buy.

leekohler2

Power User
Reaction score
Yeah, I had to buy the one I have now once working from home started. I had a 2012 retina MBP and the company software was killing it. Bought the 16” in April thinking I would have it as long as the 2012, then Apple announced M1. I just about shit myself, I was so mad. 😊 But hey, it’s good they’re doing what they’re doing. The new ones are probably gonna rock. Once they come out, if they look good, I’ll be all over it.

Top Bottom
1 2